Great little router and a great value with one nit

Review by WhoMe posted 881 days ago 3645 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great little router and a great value with one nit No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I looked around and didn’t see a review for this router so I figured I would post one since I have had it for about a year. When I got it, it was on sale for $89 so it was even a better deal. I bought this because I was looking for a nice trim router that I could use instead of my beloved but HUGELY HEAVY Hitachi M12V for small projects. It came in really handy for routing door hinge mortises recently as I just finished installing 8 interior door slabs into their existing frames. I have also used it for minor trim work on other projects.

This is a really nice compact router that fits well in the hand. The shape of the router comfortable and easy to control while in use. It also seems well balanced without being unwieldy when moving it around. it has a nice long cord that stays nicely out of the way and because it is nice and long, it doesn’t always need a extension cord, another bonus. The one thing I don’t like is that when you hold the router body in what would be a natural position, the base openings for the router bit are to the sides so you end up holding the router in an more unnatural position with the cord and rubberized grip facing away from you.

The router itself runs really smoothly and carries little or no vibration into the housing so there is no fatigue. The on off switch is a sliding one where upon turning on the router, the switch top raises above the router housing so that when you need to turn it off in a hurry (or normally), it is easy to hit the top of the router and it will turn it off. The speed adjustment works well and seems very linear in adjusting the speed of the router and it has a fine ratcheting type instead of a friction type resistance to prevent errant speed changes. It works just fine to me. Although the scale of adjustment is numbered 1-7 and not RPMs, I found that I normally adjust the speed by the sound anyway so it is no biggie.
The base of the router comes with a LED light that lights up the router bit area when turned on. I like this feature as it helps to see where you are positioning the router when using it free hand.
The height adjustment is easy to use and well marked with a fine threaded adjustment and a spring loaded coarse adjustment. just unlock the body clamp and make your depth adjustment and re lock it and you are ready to go. The fine adjustment has a embedded wheel of sorts that is marked with index marks and 1/64” indications which helps for fine depth adjustments. It is easy to use as all you need to do is slide your finger across the wheel and it turns. By being embedded somewhat into the body, it does prevent errand adjustments if the body is not locked. The body also has a veneer type scale for reference too.
The router also comes with 2 collet wrenches but the router also has a spring loaded lock so you really only need one wrench to change bits. The base comes with a round and square clear base plates. I have yet to need the square one but it is a nice option when you need to run the router on a flat surface.
It also comes with a fence system where you screw 2 threaded rods into the base and slide on the fence. when not in use all this stuff fits nicely into the soft carrying case.
As for the case, it is a nice small 8h x 9l x 4d thick cordura type case with opposing zippers and a nice handle. It is small, and everything fits in there with no problems.

Overall, I give it a 5 (really a 4 1/4) star rating for performance, adjustability, accessories and the lifetime warranty but cannot give it a 5 star rating for my one nit of hand position versus base openings so I give that a 4 star rating.

Other than that, I highly recommend that if you are looking at trim routers, take a look at this one too.

-- I'm not clumsy.. It's just the floor hates me, the tables and chairs are bullies and the wall gets in the way.. - Mike -

View WhoMe's profile

WhoMe

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

I have three of these babies and love em. :)
Still $89 at HD; free shipping online, but it’s better to go in store with a lowe’s coupon.

I don’t find the grip to be all that much different from the bosch colt, so to each his own there.
I LOVE the led.
I also love how compact that it is, how compact the case is, the square base (swapped to the square base on all 3) and the cord length; not too long, not too short.
Runs very smooth.

Light years above and beyond the R2400.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View Roger Clark aka Rex's profile

Roger Clark aka Rex

6940 posts in 2032 days

Nice review, thanks

-- Roger-R, Republic of Texas. "Always look on the Bright Side of Life" - An eyeball to eyeball confrontation with a blind person is as complete waste of Time.

View poopiekat's profile

poopiekat

Does this one have the little pilot light above the collet? I could not consider a trim router without this feature…. EDIT! Ooops, I missed your comment on the LED light… sorry!! I’ll have to go take a closer look at these now, sounds like this might be the right one for me… thanks for the review!

View RaiD's profile

RaiD

I love this router as well, and my only complaint is the lack of accessories for it – namely a plunge base, angled base, and clear sub-base that accepts porter cable template bushings are all unavailable (at least not from Ridgid). If anyone can prove me otherwise please do so. :)

I constantly see these options available for the DeWalt, Porter Cable and Bosch trim routers and I find myself sometimes regretting my purchase although I still love this router overall.

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

The 2401 accepts the 2400 baseplate which I’m pretty sure does accept pc style bushings.
Those are too small though, so I’ll be making my own pretty soon.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View WhoMe's profile

WhoMe

Yea, a plunge base would be nice but the dewalt set is $200+ whereas the Rigid is $89+
For me, $100 for a plunge base is not worth it. Nothing against dewalt as I am sure that plunge base comes in handy for some things.
I know the R2200 full sized 2 hp router has the same bolt pattern as a full sized porter cable router so I would wonder if this one would be the same. Maybe I will have to take my extra base plate to someplace that carries the dewalt and pc routers to see. All I have to do is remember to do that…that will be the hard part …lol

View cutworm's profile

cutworm

I want one. I have the Ridgid combo with the fixed and plunge bases. I really like it. The only complaint is the location of the on/off switch. Right on the top of the router. You have to release of one handle to turn it off. It would be perfect if you could switch it off with your thumb. Thanks for taking time to do the great review.

-- Steve - "Never Give Up"

View johnzo's profile

johnzo

I’ve been using the Bosch Colt for a couple of years now and never thought I’d find a better trim router. I recently had to bring a set of cabinets to my son’s home and found myself without a trim router. I wound up buying the Ridgid trim router with the LED light at his local HD and fell in love with it due to the LED light. I also loved the position of the ON/OFF switch on top so you can quickly hit it in emergency situations (much better than the Bosch switch that you have to search for).

-- 70 is the new 50!

View cutworm's profile

cutworm

I picked one up too. Sweet little router. I now have four routers and use this one more than the other three combined.

-- Steve - "Never Give Up"