Steel City 35990G 10" Saw

Review by Dorty posted 02-24-2012 04:49 PM 4947 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Steel City 35990G 10" Saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is the first time I have written a review on any of my tools, but with me doing so much research before buying my Steel City table saw I figured that it might help someone else find the saw they are looking for. After reading some of the other reviews on Steel City I was a little worried about having trouble with the assembly, but I must say it wasn’t all that bad. They sent two extra pages of instructions (besides the manual) that seemed to address some of the problems that others were having during the assembly. The granite top was pretty heavy and difficult to man handle by myself, but doable. It took me about 3 hrs to put it all together. The biggest challenge I had was the miter gage sliding in the miter track. They split the table top at the miter slots and it can be difficult to adjust the top to get them to slide smoothly, but not impossible. I didn’t have to make one adjustment to the blade to square it to the miter slots and after I installed the fence and made a test cut I was only .005 off in a 36” cut. That was with absolutely no adjustment!!! The saw ran very smooth and very quiet. I would recommend this to anyone who is in the market for a Table Saw for a decent price. It’s not a Powermatic or Delta, but it is a very well built and accurate saw.

View Donkey1984's profile

Donkey1984

#1 posted 02-24-2012 06:05 PM

I have been wondering about the quality and price of those. If you dont mind me asking how far did it set you back.

#2 posted 02-24-2012 06:45 PM

If you get one thru a authorized dealer and not online they have a special until June or July for 649.99 or you can get the saw for around $900 from Lowes. The Cast Iron would have been my first choice, but they are on back order, so I chose to go with the Granite. I don’t regret the granite at all. It is really thick and flat. Only downside is my magnetic featherboards don’t work with the Granite top. Go to Steel Citys website and you can find authorized dealers in your area.

#3 posted 02-24-2012 11:29 PM

thanks man!

View firehouse's profile

firehouse

#5 posted 02-26-2012 04:59 PM

good luck ihad the cast iron model 3 bad motors utter guys had no fix picked up returned my money,i did like the saw. fire house

-- duke 66 ocala fl.

#6 posted 02-27-2012 03:55 AM

Lets hope I have better luck. Thanks for the heads up.

View grumpy749's profile

grumpy749

#7 posted 03-03-2012 04:02 AM

Dorty, I have thee steel city units in my shop. A large edge sander, a 1hp dust colecter and an 18 inch band saw, All three I don’t like. I don’t like the finish on any of them and all give me operational problems of one sort or another. The band saw is the worst. The thing vibrates so bad it drives me nuts. I really hope this saw works out for you but don’t be supprised if you send it back. After the band saw fiasco I swore off steel city or any cheap tool for that matter. I just pulled the trigger on a new saw today. A 650 3 hp left tilt Canadian made General. I won’t see it for a few days as its comming from Montreal. Really looking forward to this baby! .I thought long and hard over this and the Delta and saw stop were the two other units I considered. What tipped the scales fom me was the fact that I could buy from a dealer in my city and the price was under three grand delivered. Sure hope this works out for you.

-- Denis in Grande Prairie. Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mistery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.....Pink !

#8 posted 03-14-2012 12:02 PM

Grumpy, thanks for the input. I have been using the crap out of this saw for awhile now. I am working on a project right now for my fathers bday. ITs a computer desk made from solid 4/4, 6/4, and 8/4 red oak. I have been ripping all the boards with this table saw and its been running like a champ. I am even more impressed then the day i bought it. I have used a few other steel city tools that have not been the greatest of quality, but not this saw, I think for the price there is none better on the market (just an opinion).

How is your General working for you?