Gimlets

Review by Roger posted 908 days ago 2024 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Gimlets Gimlets No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is the 1st time, and NOT the last that I will use these handy-dandy “Gimlets”. The 7 different sizes are a gr8, and quick way to make a threaded starter hole for the 7 different sized screws. I just used the smallest of the set to attach the buttons for the backs of a few picture frames. Very simple, and ez/breeeezee. These are made in France, and very affordable. You can see em at this link: http://www.garrettwade.com/set-of-gimlets-7/p/37J03.04/

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View Roger's profile

View Roger Clark aka Rex's profile

Roger Clark aka Rex

6940 posts in 2060 days

ZZ, I have a set, got mine from Lee Valley. They are hard to find nowadays. Just another old useful tools that seems to have dropped out of fashion ….. these young-uns don’t know what they are missing. :-)

-- Roger-R, Republic of Texas. "Always look on the Bright Side of Life" - An eyeball to eyeball confrontation with a blind person is as complete waste of Time.

View Dave's profile

Dave

I have been wanting some of these. Can you imagine putting a wood roof on a house and drilling 2 holes in every shingle, all day. My wrist would give out. But they would be great for the shop. I have one old one and love it. Thanks for posting the link Roger.

-- Superdav "No matter where you go - there you are." http://chiselandforge.com

View Eagle1's profile

Eagle1

2066 posts in 1689 days

Just ordered a set with standard shipping it was $20.45. Thanks for the post. I know I will use them for a lot of small work..

-- Tim, Missouri ....Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the heck happened

View Roger's profile

a lot o times, old stuff, is good stuff!! like us!! hahaha I never knew these things existed. don’t even know/remember how I found em, but, I sure do like em.. thnx again, fellas

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View racerglen's profile

racerglen

I’ve got a set, built up over some years, of the old Marples ones.
The type with a turned wooden T type handle at the top.
Very handy !

-- Glen, Vernon B.C. Canada

View jjw5858's profile

jjw5858

Wonderful post Roger, I have always wanted to use these, thanks for the review!

-- "Make something you love tomorrow...and do it slowly" JLB

View oskarman's profile

oskarman

i have had a set of gimlets for several years (got mine from Lee Valley as well) and use them quite often. very useful little tool.

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

Neat little tools, aren’t they!!