Improper sales / marketing techniques

Review by BigBear posted 789 days ago 2946 views 0 times favorited 27 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Improper sales / marketing techniques Improper sales / marketing techniques No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

About three months ago I received a notice from this company claiming to have sent me a DVD and wanting me to either return it or send them $12.95. I never received anything from them. But, even if I did, according to the post office it would have been a gift from them and I would be under no obligation. I have asked them to quit, reported them to the post office and the BBB. So far, nothing has worked. They keep on sending demands for money. I have learned that this is one of several names used by TN Marketing LLC in Wayzata MN—and the BBB shows many similar complaints (under a variety of titles). As to the quality of this DVD, I have never seen it and don’t want to see it. The post office says that “Sales” techniques like this are considered improper and I wish they would stop. Their “Service Guarantee” says I am under no obligation to participate in the program, because I didn’t order the DVD, etc. Yet, they keep on sending demands for money.

View BigBear's profile

BigBear

View garriv777's profile

garriv777

I got a CD from them also that I didn’t ask for and I refuse to pay for it. It actually wasn’t a bad CD but since I didn’t ask them to send it to me I kept it and enjoyed it but I’m not sending it back and I’m not paying for it either. According to the law if someone sends you something that you didn’t ask for then you have a right to keep it, and that’s what I did. Hopefully it’ll teach people like this not to engage in these kind of tactics. They’re not getting one dime from me and if they send me anymore they’ll take a loss on them too…:).

View JohnMeeley's profile

JohnMeeley

I have the same DVD. I never ordered it, I never returned it. But, I haven’t had any requests for money either. I would ignore all correspondence from them. Just instantly recycle all unopened envelopes. Any reasoning on your part will fall on deaf ears and frustrate you.

-- "The greatest pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot do."-Walter Bagehot

View rustfever's profile

rustfever

I, three, have recieved the DVD. I tried to open it and found it was nothing of interest to me. The have been dunning me for payment. I told them to ‘get lost’. I have not heard from them for several months.

-- Rustfever, Central California

View ken_c's profile

ken_c

rip it and post it, the DVD that is, assuming they didn’t copyright of course…

View crashn's profile

crashn

if we get the word out, then eventually it will become a loss for them. They are banking on the fact that a percentage of people will actually buckle under the intimidation and send money. Likely they are not the proper copyright holders of the DVD anyways. Keep it and just ignore the demands.

-- Crashn - the only thing I make more of than sawdust is mistakes

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

Yep, just ignore the begging.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View ChunkyC's profile

ChunkyC

This is what trash cans were made for.

-- Chunk's Workshop pictures: http://spadfest.rcspads.com/thumbnails.php?album=135

Send them a screw in an envelope, then a week later send them a bill for $5,000.00. $.15 for the screw, and $4,999.85 for shipping and handling… See what they do…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

I think it’s also a good idea to discuss your reaction to this sort of “marketing” with the person/company apparently responsible for it:

Franklin Flack
TN Marketing
franklin.flack@tnmarketing.com
1903 Wayzata Blvd E
Wayzata, MN 55391
(763) 577-1200

-- -- Neil

View Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor's profile (online now)

Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor

I bet they have another bunch of departments that try to take advantage of others…such as senior citizens etc. Ignoring it is the best policy.

-- Every step of each project is considered my masterpiece because I want the finished product to reflect the quality of my work. http://www.FineArtBoxes.com

View xwingace's profile

xwingace

I got a DVD for home defense pistol training, same deal. What a scam.

-- I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

View crashn's profile

crashn

if someone sends you junk and it has a postage paid envelope or card, tape it to a cinder block and send it back. The cost alone will have them take you off their list.

-- Crashn - the only thing I make more of than sawdust is mistakes

View Maclegno's profile

Maclegno

Why don’t you upload the DVD onto the Internet ( Facebook or similar) with an explanatory note, together with the name and address of the crooks; apart from being bad publicity for them, it makes the DVD public property and therefore worthless.
Gerard

PS can’t the PO do something to block them?

-- Maclegno,Scotsman in Italy

View Grandpa's profile

Grandpa

Actually the post office probably can’t do much. They paid the postage to send it to you and you should have received the package. In this case obviously it didn’t arrive to the proper address but in most cases it does. I received on on building cabinets or furniture a couple of years ago. I thought it was alright but no something I was interested in so I slipped the DVD in the provided envelope and dropped it in the mailbox. I kept the nice plastic case for the DVD for my trouble.
This week I received a statement from a magazine that I have “shown interest in”. They want my money up front before they send it out of course. I had actually let the subscription lapse about 4 months ago because I wasn’t interested in it. I just round filed it and moved on.

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

2547 posts in 1937 days

I got one a while back along with a bunch of really poor quality router bits… I wrote the law on the bill they sent me… never heard another word. Never got any more either!

Neil: What an appropriate name for the marketing director!

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire