Poor quality control

Review by tut69 posted 918 days ago 5892 views 0 times favorited 28 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Poor quality control No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I received a Bosch Gcm12sd dual bevel glide miter saw from my lovely wife for Christmas 2011 so its about 2 months old. Up until now i’ve only used it in the “chop saw” mode with narrow materials. Recently I tried to crosscut a 1” x 12” an realized there is a problem that cant be adjusted. The blade is not parallell with the arm that moves it. As I complete a cut through a 12” board the trailing end of the blade is cutting an additional 32nd off the left side of the starting point (in about an inch from the leading edge.) Kind of hard to explain, but it seams the blade is canted off from parallel. I called Bosch and the said they would be happy to look at it if I would send it to there repair facility in NJ at my expence. There is also an issue with an allen screw for the table adjustment. It doesnt have enough depth to pit the wrench in it. All in all, its a nice $800 chop saw but for wide boards i’ll go back to the radial arm for now. I dont think I should have to ship it off to NJ at my expence for a warranty issue and I dont want someone elses refurb.

View tut69's profile

tut69

View Howie's profile

Howie

This kind of suprises me. I thought this was one of the better rated saw??????Not saying much for their CS is it?

-- Life is good.

View Earlextech's profile

Earlextech

It’s always been important to me that I can get service on whatever tools I buy. I would rather have the lesser tool with service than the best tool without.

If she bought it at a big box, oh well, but if it came from a tool store, I would take it right back to them. Either they can ship it or replace it.

-- Sam Hamory - The project is never finished until its "finished"!

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

5020 posts in 1942 days

I had a 10” bosch 4410 slider and called their customer service to get some help with an adjustment problem and was surprised how un-helpful their customer service person was. I have also been looking at the new Bosch Gcm12sd…but after their lack of interest in helping I ended up buying a Festool Kapex. Sure, it cost more…but their saw is quality and their customer service and warranty is impeccable. I also heard that Bosch has alot of stuff made in China now. Goodbye, Bosch…hello Festool.

View mikema's profile

mikema

That is sad to hear. I know when they had the power switch problem on the 1617 router (where it filled up with dust) I always heard how good their CS was, and would send out free switches with almost no questions asked. Sounds like they have taken a turn for the worse, and that is unfortunate.

-- Mike ---- Visit my woodworking blog: http://sawdustnewbie.com

View Craftsman on the lake's profile

Craftsman on the lake

2383 posts in 2072 days

I’ve had their regular 12 inch slider for a couple of years now. It’s a great saw. It prompted me to buy some of their other tools since then, ROS sander, drill/driver, and router. Happy with all of them.

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

I have heard about this problem before. Sorry that you heard about it after the purchase. When I buy my next miter saw, it will be a glide/miter saw capable of cutting wide boards. This saw is def. off my list unless they repair this flaw.

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

That’s too bad; I don’t think this is an uncommon problem for MS, given what I’ve read on LJ’s. Unfortunately, sounds like Bosch has lost you as a customer, and probably several of us LJ’s due to their lack of customer service.

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

View doordude's profile

doordude

sorry to hear, i was going to get this saw next month. i guess i’m looking for another chioce.

View Fuzzy's profile

Fuzzy

I, too had one on my short list, based on it’s ingenious design (I thought) ... but, if it won’t do a simple crosscut, I’ll stick with my RAS for in shop use and my trusty old DeWalt CMS in the field. Thanks for the heads-up !!!

-- - dabbling in sarcasm is foolish … if you’re not proficient at it, you end up looking stupid … ... ...

WOW, I have been really kicking around buying this saw. But if that is how they treat customers and the saw has a problem like that I’m out! I’ll be looking for a differnet saw. Looks like I need to do some reading.

Thx for the info.

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

2566 posts in 2066 days

I have had the saw for over a year… no problems. Everything comes out square with a little bit of care.
Yes, the Kapex would have been interesting but it was twice the price and was a 10”. I did have occasion to call Bosch about a fence problem and they could not have been more helpful… I had a new back fence in 3 days.
Call them again and ask to speak to a supervisor. Also, your saw is still under warranty so I would be taking it back to where I bought it for a replacement.
Just my 0.02 cents…

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View tut69's profile

tut69

I am currently working with the manager at the local Lowes store to see if they will just exchange it for a new one. He has to check with corporate and will let me know on Monday. I have eight other Bosch power tools and have had no problems with any of them. Will post the end results. PS…What a wonderful site! Thx for all the comments and concerns.

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

5020 posts in 1942 days

It is obvious that with any tool manufacturer you can get a great saw/tool or a lemon. The true test of a company is how they handle us customers who have had faith enough in them to spend our hard earned money for their tools.
Has anyone else heard anything about Bosch having many of their tools made in China now?

View live4ever's profile

live4ever

Wow, you really shouldn’t have to ship it at your expense. That really discourages me from buying this saw – if I get a lemon, it’s going to cost me money to fix it? And let’s be honest, though it’s cheaper than the Festool, this is STILL a premium saw and whether I’m laying out $800 or $1300, I expect to be taken care of should something go wrong.

I’ve been going back and forth between this saw (which would save several hundred of course) and the Kapex. I’ve heard of QC issues with this saw in more than one place. At least Festool’s customer service is second-to-none. I think their warranty is 3 years, with them paying shipping expenses during the first.

I hope you get taken care of, either by Lowes or Bosch.

-- Optimists are usually disappointed. Pessimists are either right or pleasantly surprised. I tend to be a disappointed pessimist.

View dhazelton's profile

dhazelton

Are you sure there isn’t an adjustment you can make? Is the scale off or can you adjust the detente? One thing I would try is a 10 inch blade and see if the deflection is still there – some 12 inch blades can flex a lot.