Wixey 8" digital protractor pretty sweet.

Review by steffen707 posted 02-23-2012 03:53 AM 3350 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
Wixey 8" digital protractor pretty sweet. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

At first I was going to say i was mad that this thing wasn’t acurate because when i set it on my coffee table flat out and zeroed it, then flipped it over it read .4deg. I put it on the middle shelf and zeroed it, flipped it over and it read .7deg. Didn’t make any sense, the table is flat, didn’t matter which side I zeroed it on, flip it over and it was off.

So i tried it on my end table, zeroed it, flipped it over and it read zero. LIGHT BULB WENT ON. Zeroed it on the end table and then set it on the coffee table top, off by .2deg, flipped it over, off by .2deg, tried the lower shelf, off by .4deg on both sides.

So what I was measuring was actually double the value of how “off” from flat my table is. Pretty amazing to me considering if you zero it on a flat surface and then raise the middle part until its at .4deg or .7deg, you see quite a gap. That means my coffee table sags, NEAT!

I also compared it to all the miter and bevel stops on my dewalt compound miter saw, and all of them were spot on. One thing that makes me think using it for this purpose is not acurate, is because the saw kerf is wider than the saw body. So the protractor can not lay down flush with the blade. Its good enough for me though.

Finally, lots of people have complained about the lock function of the protractor. Though it leaves something to be desired if you want to hold it on a wall corner and then lock the angle into place, it is super nice to zero it, find the angle you want, and then lock it down. it will also lock down well with outside corners. It comes with a small cr2032 battery, so you don’t need to buy one.

-- If you think it will take a week and cost $100, it will take a month and cost $400.

View steffen707's profile

steffen707

1 comment so far

View DonnyD's profile

DonnyD

#1 posted 06-24-2012 03:21 AM

I own one of these and if u ask me it is worth double what wixey wants for them keep one close to the table saw . a freind of mine is a machinest showed it to him and he was very inpressed put it in some kind of large thingy with a light moved a large disk and said it was dead nut square. I plan on buying the 18 in model o the lock dose suck but i dont ever use the lock dont need it