The Chisel Doctor (Honing Guide)

Review by Roger posted 888 days ago 6254 views 1 time favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Chisel Doctor (Honing Guide) The Chisel Doctor (Honing Guide) The Chisel Doctor (Honing Guide) Click the pictures to enlarge them

While going nuts for a long long time over sharpening chisels, & plane irons, I came across this USA made honing guide from Garrett Wade http://www.garrettwade.com/the-chisel-doctor/p/58A01.01/ It’s a little expensive, but, I don’t think too badly at 45 bux. It is very well made with dual wheels instead of the type that has a single wheel in the middle, 2 brass knurled knobs very nicely counter sunk, and a very nice coating of wrinkle paint. The Chisel Doctor is well worth the purchase. It comes with 8 pieces of assorted PSA sandpaper. 100-1500 grits. I did use a piece of MDF and a 12”x12” granite tile ( 5bux) from the orange box store to attach the sandpaper to. You set your chisel or plane iron 1” from the edge for a 25 degree bevel, and 3/16” for the secondary bevel at 30 degrees. WOW! This 4-pack of Marples chisels, that I bought in Cinncinatti at WIA show in Oct ‘2010, (gr8 deal at 20bux), shown here, after running through the grits. You can plainly see that secondary bevel, and I’m gonna tell ya, them babies are sharp. I am very, happy with this purchase. If you are in the market for a good honing guide, this is it. The one thing I did add to it, was a very small piece of sandpaper on the steel bar that holds the iron or chisel in position. That little bar has a “dado” incorporated in it, I imagine it was to help hold the chisel in place, but, it still wanted to move a bit, so, I added the sandpaper. No big deal. I also dug out my old Stanley #91/2 Block plane that I bought when I was about 14, (think it was my 1st real hand tool). It needed a LOT of help. I’ve got curl comin off that old plane now. yeee-haaa Thnx for the read. Any comments are appreciated. Hope this helps anyone looking for a honing guide.

View Dave's profile

Dave

Very nice Roger and thank you for the report. What I like about it is that the base is one piece and there is no split where most manufactures have a little bit of a rise where the splits meat.

-- Superdav "No matter where you go - there you are." http://chiselandforge.com

View Roger's profile

oh yea, Dave. this is a nice addition to sharpening. I’m not to much of a hand-tool guy, but, ya gotta do some hand work more times than not, so, the more ya know, ya know?... That one-wheel/deal wasn’t good for me. for 10bux, they can keep it. I had to file mine down for any chisel to fit, and they still didn’t fit right… it had to go, and it is, gone in the “13” file

View Woodenwizard's profile

Woodenwizard

Thanks Roger! I may have to look into this. I am just now getting into hand planes and will need to do some sharpining.

-- John, Colorado's (Wooden Wizard)

View boxcarmarty's profile

boxcarmarty

Looks like a good one Roger. I may have to try that myself. What I really need is something to sharpen my lathe tools. Any suggestions???

-- My mind is like lighting, one brilliant flash, then its gone.....

View lanwater's profile

lanwater

Thanks for the review Roger.
I have one of the cheapo one with single wheel and never liked it.

-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

View Roger's profile

thnx guys. bxmarty: I do ok with my gouges for the lathe from a homemade jig that replicates (kinda) the wolverine jig that’s big bux. http://lumberjocks.com/projects/39173 If you do a search on sharpening lathe tools, you’ll find many options, and some very simple, ez to build jigs that will help you. My wallet isn’t that deep to be able to purchase a lot o these, (I call em expensive) jigs & such. I think anything that you can do consistently, you’ll be fine. I relate sharpening to a stop block on a x-cut sled, or a miter saw fence, meaning, consistent, duplicate cuts. The same applies for sharpening.. my opinion. Oh, one other thing, I am a fan of using a felt marker on the cutting edge to be able to see exactly where I’m grinding/sharpening, etc. Once you have the correct setting of removing all the marker from toe to heel, you’re gonna get good, and consistent results. One thing for sure is, none of us need to do anything with dull tools. It becomes too dangerous.

View stefang's profile

stefang

12592 posts in 1936 days

Good result Roger. Now if they just had a guide for honing wits, that would really improve my projects!

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View boxcarmarty's profile

boxcarmarty

Thanks Roger, That gives me a few ideas…..

-- My mind is like lighting, one brilliant flash, then its gone.....

View GlennsGrandson's profile

GlennsGrandson

Think a guy could make his own…?

-- Grant - S/N Dakota

View Roger's profile

Grant: oh yea, I don’t see why not. If ya do, post some pics

View Paul Fisicaro's profile

Paul Fisicaro

Roger, you stated that for a 30 Degree bevel the chisel has to protrude 3/16” of an inch. Is that correct? I have this same honing guide but my wife threw out the instructions. I thought maybe the chisel would have to protrude 1” and 3/16. Can you please help me out and confirm what the correct measurement is?

Thanks a billion!

Hey Paul. I’ll p.m. you

View Paul Fisicaro's profile

Paul Fisicaro

awesome. I would of PM’d you too but I dont have 5 posts so it wont let me. hahaha