Woodworking Magazine Survey

Review by duosonicdave posted 02-20-2012 04:28 PM 5281 views 0 times favorited 49 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Woodworking Magazine Survey No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Okay LJ’s – time to weigh in. . .

I’ve searched around and can’t seem to find a survey/side-by-side comparison of the various woodworking magazines. I’m thinking about taking out my first subscription and find myself wondering, “So, what’s unique about “this” publication vs. “that” publication. I was wondering if those of you who have experience across a wide spectrum of woodworking magazines could describe how they stack up against one another: features, unique emphasis, where one magazine seems to really excel, how one differs from another, etc. I know this is a “review” section of the site and I’m not technically reviewing a magazine, but would love to know others’ more experienced thoughts/reviews in a comparison style.

Thanks,
Duo Sonic Dave

View duosonicdave's profile

duosonicdave

View Grumpymike's profile (online now)

Grumpymike

#1 posted 02-20-2012 07:27 PM

I think that WOOD by Better Housekeeping is one of the best all around publications, it has a bit for everyone.
I have built several of their projects over the years and found each one fun and educational.
I also think the folks a WOODSMITH by August Home, put out a fine publication with no advertising. I have built many of their projects and have yet to find a bad dimention.
I subscribe to 6 different pubs because they are different and each is full of ideas.

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it. ... Surprise Az.

View Grumpymike's profile (online now)

Grumpymike

#2 posted 02-20-2012 07:29 PM

OOPS, I think that is Better Homes & Gardens

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it. ... Surprise Az.

View Jeff in Huntersville's profile

Jeff in Huntersville

402 posts in 1911 days

#3 posted 02-20-2012 08:10 PM

I subscribed to Woodsmith and Shopnotes for several years. I thought both were excellent magazines with very good projects. However, their marketing or re-subscription antics pushed me away. Not worth the aggravation.

View MakerofSawdust's profile

MakerofSawdust

#4 posted 02-20-2012 09:10 PM

I looked long and hard a few years ago when I was considering which magazine to subscribe to. I was too cheap to subscribe to more than one, so I wanted to be sure I picked the rihgt one for me. I compared many and also found that Wood was the right choice for me. It has practical tips and articles. The articles cover basic and complex tasks and the tool reviews have always been great. My brother-in-law subscribes to Shop Notes and I’ve also enjoyed looking at that when I’m at his house, but it doesn’t have the more informative and in-depth articles. The tips from other readers in Wood are always great; much like LJ. I’ve only used a couple of the project plans and they were very well done.

-- - Kevin from Cincinnati. All my work is guaranteed: Three minutes or three feet; whichever comes first.

View jumbojack's profile

jumbojack

#5 posted 02-20-2012 09:28 PM

I had Popular Woodworking-dropped, too many plans and articles WAY beyond my skill set.
Wood for two years-kept
Shopnotes-dropped-re subscribed recently
Fine Woodworking-dropped, see popular woodworking
I visit the mag rack now and then to choose ones with articles/plans I like.

-- Made in America, with American made tools....Shopsmith

View carguy460's profile

carguy460

#6 posted 02-20-2012 09:31 PM

I subscribe to Wood and Popular Woodworking. Personally, I enjoy Popular Woodworking, as it seems to have more hand tool oriented articles which suits my woodworking style.

-- Jason K

View john's profile

john

#7 posted 02-20-2012 09:39 PM

WOOD magazine is great if you are American but really sucks if your from Canada or any other country .

-- John in Belgrave (Website) http://www.extremebirdhouse.com , http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=112698715866

View PRGDesigns's profile

PRGDesigns

#8 posted 02-20-2012 10:51 PM

I am a Wood Magazine aficionado since 1985. I maintain all print copies in special files. I have subscribed to Shopnotes, Woodsmith, Fine Woodworking, American Woodworker, and various others woodworking publications through the years, but always maintain the Wood Magazine addiction. Woodsmith is a close second. Fine Woodworking is inspiring, but usually not practical for most of us. Just picked up a 3 year subscription to Popular Woodworking for $18.00 through a heads up from a fellow LJ who posted the deal on this forum. I agree with Jeff in Huntsville about the relentless re-subscribing efforts for any of these magazines, including Wood. The re-subscription starts with your first magazine and they make it seem like your subscription has already expired before it even started. I find this very annoying because I don’t always remember when the subscription is up and I end up wasting time trying to figure out if the subscription is up, or if I was cheated.

-- They call me Mr. Silly

View wncguy's profile

wncguy

#9 posted 02-20-2012 11:05 PM

D.S. Dave – I’m sure glad you asked this ?, I’m just starting & trying to sort through all the options, Just picked Woodsmith for my first one, looking for more. Knowing the more “basic” ones for the less experienced is great.
I sure hope all the “experienced” that post know how much we appreciate their input!
Thanks to you all! or done here ya’ll.

-- Any man can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a Dad

View Grandpa's profile

Grandpa

#10 posted 02-20-2012 11:31 PM

I am a charter member with Wood magazine. Have all of them. I have subscribed to Fine Woodworking and intend to let that subscription go after this subscription ends. I can’t handle the people there. I will be looking at some of the others. Thanks for the advice above.

View jwisbey's profile

jwisbey

#11 posted 02-20-2012 11:43 PM

I tend to design furniture that I build so I really like Shop Notes for the suggestions and jigs. In the other magazines, the furniture plans tend to take up most of the publication.

-- Joe, Ohio - Working with wood for over 25 years and still a beginner

View duosonicdave's profile

duosonicdave

#12 posted 02-20-2012 11:49 PM

Great thoughts so far! Keep ‘em coming. . . Thanks LJ’s

View Roger's profile

#13 posted 02-21-2012 12:27 AM

Woodsmith & Shopnotes have no advertisements which means you get all gr8 content, jigs, projects, how-to’s, etc. If you want something more, I would go with Fine Woodworking, Wood, American Woodworker, and Even Popular Woodworking. There are many designed for specifics, like turning, carving, etc.. you may already know all this. I like em all! Like everythng else, an overwhelming choice. I don’t think you could go wrong with any of em

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist's profile

Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist

5214 posts in 2025 days

#14 posted 02-21-2012 01:30 AM

In the past I have subscribed to every magazine I could find..and have a HUGE stack of magazines just gathering dust. I now just get Shopnotes and Woodworkers Journal because I also got tired of the renewal bullcrap they pull. I most likely will not renew these when they expire. At one time I wrote doen when I received the first issue so I could track their renewal games…but who needs to put up with this?

I remember publications saying send in a card for a FREE trial issue...and then they send you statements and invoives way before thry even send the free issue. When I did send in the payment the sent the first issue of my paid subscription and it was the same issue as the free trial one they finally sent. The all seem to do this and I refuse to play their con game.

-- We all must start somewhere in our journey of doing what we love to do.

View smitty22's profile

smitty22

#15 posted 02-21-2012 01:56 AM

Have subscribed to several over the years, Fine Woodworking, Woodsmith, Shopnotes, Wood, and bought others as I spotted an article of interest on the newsstand. What really bugs me about most is that they repeat the same material fairly frequently, and then also have the gall to pull stuff out from the mags and compile in books touting or at least implying new material.

I don’t mind the advertising at all since it is informative if taken with a grain of salt.

The only mag I now take is Wood Magazine. Their plans are excellent as well.

-- Smitty