great for ad-hoc jigs

Review by John posted 792 days ago 2396 views 1 time favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
great for ad-hoc jigs great for ad-hoc jigs great for ad-hoc jigs Click the pictures to enlarge them

pics show just one example of using this product. I made this ad-hoc tapering jig for a project today in about 4 minutes, the rockler hold downs are great! as you can see i used one rockler and one cheap chinese knockoff hold down – big difference! the cheapo flexes and has a plastic insert that’s always getting sideways

i will break this jig down now that i’m done cutting tapers for today (see pic below) and put the track and hold downs back into the clear plastic tube they came in until i need them again.

one of those things you need to have around the shop just because it’s so useful so often

when i bought them i thought i’d make some more permanent jigs, but after maybe 2 years i haven’t needed the same jig so often that making them quickly from scraps has been an issue

-- John - Central PA - http://affyx.wordpress.com

View John's profile

John

View lew's profile

lew

Thanks, JC.

I have thought about buying this. I think you just helped me me the decision.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

Just bought a set and did the same thing. This type of sled is the safest way to cut tapers.

-- Tim

View Lenny's profile

Lenny

1205 posts in 2029 days

Hey JC. I recently bought about 8 of these. I have four in use on my supersled (crosscut sled) and bought the other ones for my (one-day) drill press table. I bought lengths of the Rockler t-track too. The hold-downs and the t-track are good quality stuff.

-- On the eighth day God was back in His woodworking shop! Lenny, East Providence, RI

109375 posts in 2079 days

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

I grabbed a bunch of those hold downs when they were on sale for $5.19 and the t-track I pick up when they have their t-track kit on sale for $19.99. Great stuff to have around the shop for jigs.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

Well, I’ll match your eight and raise you by two….....I have 10 of these holddowns in the shop….(-:

...and more blue T-track than you can shake a stick at. Actually, I make on the fly jigs with my mulitpurpose bench all the time, since it has slots cut into it for use by these and other fixtures. My supersled has a lot of it as well. The “Deluxe Rockler” hold downs and T-track are a quality product.

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View eddie's profile

eddie

i did what Lenny did just backwards use them on a drill press table and they hold. just put my t traces a bit to far apart have to use a pic of scrape and i have a lot for a extinction on small boards sometimes and it still holds very tight.the super sled is my next jig have a miter sled and a sled for 90’s tire of changing back and forth i’ll use the others then. they are good and cheap on sale.

-- Jesus Is Alright with me