works good enough for what I use it for ! Harbor Freight 1/2" Bandfile Belt Sander

Review by Dan'um Style posted 2329 days ago 9116 views 0 times favorited 22 comments Add to Favorites Watch
works good enough for what I use it for !    Harbor Freight 1/2" Bandfile Belt Sander No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hello Fellow Lumberjocks

Bought this sander about a year ago. It had low price. Worked good the first time and has not let me down since. Not a tool I use everyday, but find myself using it enough that I always keep it handy,... within reach.

Coarse grit sandpaper removes stock quickly and the tool is easy to guide and control.

Gave it 4 stars because we know it is a made-in-China-throw-away.
For $35 bucks it’s a good deal.
If it died tomorrow, would probably buy another, rather then spend big-bucks and buy a brand name piece.

From Harbor Freight website:

Narrow 1/2’’ wide belt quickly removes stock from scroll cuts, edge work and other tight areas.
Gear driven power
Head swivels 180 degrees up and down
Removes stock at 2300 feet per minute
Uses easy-to-install mini belts
Lightweight aluminum body
Comes with five belts
120V, 60 Hz; 5.0 working amps; 1/2’‘W x 5’‘L sanding area; Overall dimensions: 11’‘L x 4-1/2’‘H x 3’‘W, 18-1/4’‘L with sanding head fully extended; Weight: 4.8 lbs.

ITEM 92158-1VGA

$34.99

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain

View Dan'um Style's profile

Dan'um Style

View TomFran's profile

TomFran

Good review and logic, Dan. Don’t pay for more quality than you need.

-- Tom, Surfside Beach, SC - Romans 8:28

View Greg3G's profile

Greg3G

I may have to take a closer look at one of these. I can think of a couple of times something like this would have come in handy.

-- Greg - Charles Town, WV

I’ve walked by these many times. maybe I’ll need to look a little closer. I use a workbench top 42 X 1” belt sander and I’ve gotten my money worth out of it. 35 years and still going. A Craftsman. But all it is is a motor with a power drive wheel and 2 idler wheels, that you need to lubricate every so often.

View Woodshopfreak's profile

Woodshopfreak

I feel the exactly the same about harbor freight. If your not going to be useing it on a daily busness or for long periods of time, why bother buying a really expensive tool? I also figure if something goes wrong with a harbor freight tool (for instance my small benchtop drill press that I got for 32 dollars) I’ll just buy a new one, and that will still cost less than the expesnsive tool.

-- Tyler, Illinois

View GaryCN's profile

GaryCN

They are great for sharpening he curved blade like the type used on a mulching power mower.
I had used a Dremel to do that but watched a service tech at a mover shop use one. He did
it in a fraction of the time it took me with a Dremel. I did not know that you could get one at this price.
is the belt a 1/2 X 18

-- Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

Thanks for the review Dan – I agree with you and others. Harbor Freight has cheap tools, but having said that their tools do have a place in my shop. For a tool that I will rarely use for a project – Harbor Freight has some good choices, like this sander and someone reviewed a stapler a couple of weeks ago. Why pay top dollar for something that will be seldom used.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

While I haven’t followed that throw away tool philosophy, I can see the point. I often pass tools on a shelf that get used once every five years, and I have to wonder why I bought the deluxe kit.

Maybe I should change my evil ways. (and save the money)

Lee

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

Thanks for the review. Is the belt easy to change?

View jockmike2's profile

jockmike2

I’ve got one to Dan, it works great for me. You just have to watch taking off too much material while using it. But it’s a miracle machine for tight corners. If I were to rate it I’d give it 5 stars. mike

-- (You just have to please the man in the Mirror) Mike from Michigan -

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

Good review Dan. I will have to take a close look at one.

View Dan'um Style's profile

Dan'um Style

rikkor
as I recall the belts are easy to change and cheap too,... if you get them from Harbor Freight … around 5 bucks for a bag. for me the bag will probably last for years.
regards

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

i agree. Harbor Freight is good for things that you don’t use a ton. that is why when i build my drum sander i’m buying a motor from Harbor Freight. Thanks for the review.

Good review, Dan. The price certainly is right.

I bought a grinder that looks somewhat like the motor housing on this tool and the back plastic came loose from the yellow/orange plastic. It wouldn’t stay there until the 1001 use of Duck Tape came into play.

It is now holding steady. Still a great bargain. I think I paid less than $15.00 in the store.

View Dominic Vanacora's profile

Dominic Vanacora

I used one when I worked at Panlmatic in Elk Grove Village, IL on control panel cabinet cut outs. It worked great. It would remove burrs in seconds. I’m sure it would remove wood even faster. I would like one in my small garage shop as well and for 35 dollars its worth the money. Thanks for remining me of its usefulness.

-- Dominic, Trinity, Florida...Lets be safe out there.