40 Piece Tool Shop Router Bit Set

Review by Raymond posted 02-14-2012 04:50 AM 11073 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
40 Piece Tool Shop Router Bit Set 40 Piece Tool Shop Router Bit Set No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

For Christmas my mom got me a 40 piece Tool Shop router bit set. I know what your thinking you get what you pay for. And for the most part that is true. This was an exception. 40 piece carbide tip ¼ shank router bits in every shape and size. Ball bearings on the top and bottom of some bits all run smooth. I tested all the bits and all are sharp and true out of the box no wobble or any defects that I can detect. They came in a nice wooden case with easy access to the bits. This was on sale for 24.99 regularly 49.99. I think for the price it can’t be beat.

-- Ray

View Raymond's profile

View gillyd's profile

136 posts in 2063 days

#1 posted 02-14-2012 12:23 PM

I like doing this with the initial bit purchase, then you get to figure out through actual use which one you use. Once you get your most used 5 router bits you can then upgrade those with higher end long term solutions. Only thing that would disappoint me a tad is the .25 shank, but like you said, price has to be taken into account and you get quite a bit of bits for $25 bucks regardless of shank size.

#2 posted 02-14-2012 01:56 PM

I bought a similar set at HF several years ago and I am happy with it.
If I need to replace one of them ( like the dovetail bit I broke) them I buy a Freud to replace it.

View Bob817's profile

#3 posted 02-14-2012 02:40 PM

Like you said,the price can’t be beat. it’s a nice starter set I need to get one of those myself, Good Luck with it Ray.

-- ~ Bob ~ Newton, N.H.

View Richard's profile

#4 posted 02-14-2012 08:45 PM

I got a 66 bit set in 1/2” from Elite tools and havent had any problems with the 10 or so that I have actualy used so far. I did do a few test cuts with almost all of them just to see what they look like but really I don’t many people are going to need 40 or 66 bits.

View helluvawreck's profile

#5 posted 02-14-2012 09:30 PM

I got a similar set at Lowes a while back because it’s hard for me to be able to afford all the ones that I need. I only had about 10 really good ones before I did this. I figured that sooner or later I was going to be in a bind needing one bad with my only solution to go to Lowes and spend an hours worth of my time on the trip. Sure enough that day came while I was working on my molding in our living room and I had to modify a piece of molding. I found a close bit in that set that almost did the job exactly but I finished up ok with a couple of files. I don’t like the quality of them at all and bought them thinking they would get me ought of a pinch which they did. Soooo they serve their purpose. I still try to buy me a good router bit every 6 to 8 weeks and sometimes 2. Maybe in a year or so I will have a reasonable set of good ones.

helluvawreck aka Charles

#6 posted 02-14-2012 11:29 PM

Looks like a nice starter set…Thanks Mom : )

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

#7 posted 02-15-2012 12:01 AM

Actually ¼ shank does have one advantage and that is it can be used in trim router as well.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View StumpyNubs's profile

#8 posted 02-15-2012 12:33 AM

Thanks for the review- a great idea for someone just starting out! Thanks for posting!

-Jim; aka “Stumpy Nubs”

Blue Collar Woodworking? That's the best show since Hawaii 5-0! ” -The Podunk Journal

-- Subscribe to "Stumpy Nubs Woodworking Journal"- One of the crafts' most unique publications:

View Raymond's profile

#9 posted 02-16-2012 02:27 AM

I agree I think it is a great starter set. and you guys are right as I determine what bits I use the most over time I will replace with better quality bits. I have had really good luck with Tool Shop bits in the past.

-- Ray

View Revias's profile

#10 posted 03-21-2012 07:27 AM

Hi, Ray, I’m looking for the website of TOOLSHOP, it would be very kind of you if you could help me out.

View Revias's profile

#11 posted 03-21-2012 07:27 AM

or contact details, thanks

View cuffs's profile

#12 posted 10-23-2014 04:52 PM

i was wondering if anyone used the power fist router bit are they any good starting out