LOVE this saw!

Review by etivancic posted 03-10-2008 11:36 AM 2784 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
LOVE this saw! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was in the middle of cutting stringers out of PT 2×12 when I realized it was time to upgrade to a real saw. The skill saw wasn’t “cutting it”. I called my brother who is in the home building business and he recomended this saw to me…
I LOVE IT! What a difference. This saw was a dream to use. VERY powerful. I love the electric brake as well which is rare in these saws or so it seemed.

Features: Rear pivot depth of cut adjustment allows your hand to remain behind the tool at all depth of cuts Powerful 15.0 Amp, 2,075 MWO motor made for long life and difficult applications Heavy-gauge, high-strength aluminum alloy base for increased durability on worksite 50° beveling capacity increases capacity in various applications Electric brake stops blade after use

The saw was the most expensive at Lowes by 10-15 bucks… I paid $159 + tax
Worth every penny. I will never buy a cheap power tool again!

View etivancic's profile

View juniorjock's profile

1930 posts in 2855 days

#1 posted 03-10-2008 02:03 PM

If you don’t mind me asking, how much did that saw cost? I could look it up on the web but I’m too lazy.

View etivancic's profile

#2 posted 03-10-2008 05:09 PM

Edited my post…....

View teenagewoodworker's profile

#3 posted 03-10-2008 09:32 PM

cool. i always thought that that saw looked like one of the best out there. congrats on the new saw.

View juniorjock's profile

1930 posts in 2855 days

#4 posted 03-11-2008 12:33 AM

You are right. I’ve always been a believer in the “get what you pay for” thing. But, that said, I’m still using the saw my dad used. My dad passed away in 1980…... It may be time for an upgrade, don’t you think? And this one will be one I’ll look at for sure. Thanks for the post and the info.

View rikkor's profile

#5 posted 03-11-2008 10:27 AM

Thank you for the review. Most people here realize you get what you pay for.

View Moron's profile

#6 posted 03-12-2008 03:29 PM

Well,..................just to be the devils advocate.

I bought a black and decker circular saw about 20 years ago. It raises and lowers parallel to the plate instead of on an angle/hinge. I broke the handle so I bought the one you have… died and bought another one… died.

I have since put a new handle on my old circular saw and it works the same as the day I bought it cutting hundreds of miles of framing materials, as well as steel roofing, siding, facsia.

I wasnt as impressed with the DeWalt as you are…..........down right dissappointed.

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

View Chipper's profile

#7 posted 03-14-2008 03:16 AM

I have this one, or very similar. I like its power and handling a lot, but be very careful about dropping it or something dropping on it. The “foot” (plate that the saw rides on, can’t remember the proper name) can be bent very easily. I had problem cuts for a while until I finally discovered that mine was warped. I had no idea what did it or when it happened – I try to take good care of my tools. I figured I would have to buy a new foot. Then I had a thought and sure enough I was able to bend it back into shape – using only my hands!!

-- Steve (Plano, TX)

View JMG's profile

#8 posted 07-05-2009 01:34 AM

I was a cutman on a framing crew for about 7 years and i have tried and abused most brands of circular saws. The DeWalt has plenty of power, however, they are loud as hell, it’s difficult to see your cutline, and the base bends rather easily, not ot mention how heavy it is. I reccomend the Magnesium base Makita. It can also be set to a 50 degree miter and the magnesium base will not bend. This is a very durable saw. Mine has been dropped off walkboards and scaffolding numerous times and the base is still as flat as the day I got it.

-- -Jon

#9 posted 07-05-2009 04:02 AM

thanks for the review

-- Custom furniture

View BDFan1981's profile

#10 posted 11-22-2012 03:15 AM

This particular saw was part of the first 33 tools to use the DeWalt marque when Black & Decker brought out this line of tools in 1992.

B&D also sold this same tool as their model 3064 (Professional, 2-wire cord set) and model 2694 (Industrial, 3-wire cord set). An 8-1/4” version also existed under both B&D (model 2695) and DeWalt (model DW384). The B&D version was introduced one year before the DeWalt version, in 1991, to replace the prior 3047-09 Super SAWCAT that was originally introduced in 1971.

View G5Flyr's profile

#11 posted 08-21-2015 03:57 PM

I bought mine back in 2012. It replaced a Craftsman evolv circa saw. One feature not mentioned here is the ability to adjust the blade so that it is parallel to the shoe. I use my saw with a homemade guid and the ability to keep the blade parallel to the shoe is essential for me. I don’t have room or budget for a table saw or a dedicated track saw but I can still get cabinet grade cuts with this saw and my home made guide.

JMG is right about the saw being heavy. I’m glad I’m not a framer that has to toss this tool around all day. I also put a dust collection port on the front end.

I like my saw very much.

-- G5Flyr