Craftsman 22116 Premium Hybrid Tablesaw

Review by dnick posted 02-10-2012 05:23 AM 11496 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Craftsman 22116  Premium Hybrid Tablesaw Craftsman 22116  Premium Hybrid Tablesaw Craftsman 22116  Premium Hybrid Tablesaw Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve only had this saw 3 1/2 months but I think I can give a good review. I have to start by saying I did not shop for a new saw. I had a 7 year old Craftsman21140 that Sear’s techs basically ruined, & this is a replacement, but I had to pay $250. out of pocket. You could see that on my ” How I wound up with….” forum post. I really have nothing to compare this saw to, but the 21140. This is a significant upgrade. I really liked the 21140. Doesn’t look that good now. I assembled with my best friend, not difficult, instructions o.k. The center table is flat, but both wings were slightly warped. We spent more than half the assembly time shimming the wings & while we could never get dead flat across the whole table it seems to be within acceptable limits. The box wrench broke in half the first time I used it. The insert is crap. Really bad. They glued some black sheet metal at the rear of the insert and it sits proud of the rest of the insert. Stop a piece of wood dead in it’s tracks. Sent a new one, same. Had to file it down so I could make zero clearence inserts. I really like that it’s really easy to make the inserts. just cut the rectangle to size, round over the corners on the drum sander, & rout( I used a forstner bit & chisel ) a shallow recess on the bottom underside. I’ve read all the debates about granite vs. cast iron. I only had 1 magnetic jig. I think, if the granite holds up, I will like not having to clean the cast iron. I’m getting older & my elbow hurts. This thing is really solid, no vibration. The outfied table is a really nice feature. The saw comes with a splitter & a riving knife. The blade guard & pawls must be attached to the riving knife after it is inserted & it’s awkward & difficult. Mostly I just use the splitter. The fence is nice & heavy , sraight but not dead flat, wavy or bumpy. apparently ithe fence pads are attached with carraige bolts in interior slots, & everywhere there is a carriage bolt, there is a slight bump out on the exterior face. The pads are supposed to be replaceable, but I haven’t figured out how to do it yet. If I look at my zero clearence inserts, I see significant runout. Don’t have a gauge to measure this, sure don’t know how to fix it. It has plenty of power & for me it really is an upgrade. If I was shopping for a new saw, I have no idea if I would have bought this saw. I surely would have looked at other brands. This could have been a great saw, but they dropped the ball on the details. All said & done, it’s such an upgrade for me, I couldn’t give it it less than 4 stars.

#1 posted 02-10-2012 08:56 AM

Interesting review, glad everything worked out. I’m In Lakewood near Long beach were are you in Hollywood?

View David's profile

David

#2 posted 02-10-2012 02:39 PM

Nice review, how did you attach the extra side table? Pics would be awesome!

-- “Don’t tell me what can’t be done, tell me what you want done then shut up and get out of my way and let me do it!”

View Raspar's profile

Raspar

#3 posted 02-10-2012 10:01 PM

I have the same saw, it was a big improvement over my previous saw. Congrats, and good review.

-- Have thy tools ready. God will find thee work.

#4 posted 02-11-2012 01:42 AM

David, I hope these pictures help. I attached the side pieces to the rails after cutting notches to accept the long supports & drilling the necessary holes. Then added the rest of the frame pieces. All pieces are notched & bolted together. Cut the top panel & trim to size & attached with screws from the bottom. You can see I had to shim in the middle next to the saw because I used a lousy piece of plywood. Didn’t have the patiece to wait till I got a better piece. Good luck.

#5 posted 02-11-2012 03:11 AM

Raspar, I am really interested to know if you encountered the same problems I did.

#6 posted 02-11-2012 03:14 AM

Ken, not in Hollywood. North Hollywood, 1 block from the Burbank city line, just north of Toluca Lake.

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

#7 posted 02-12-2012 02:49 PM

Great saw, great review! Thanks for posting!

-Jim; aka “Stumpy Nubs”
Blue Collar Woodworking? FINALLY, a woodworking show for us morons! ” -The Hoboken Evening Review

#8 posted 02-14-2012 09:15 PM

Is this the same saw than the, now defunct, rigid r4511?
I have a rigid and this saw looks identical.