Spyderco Bench Stone

Review by Phil53 posted 896 days ago 2809 views 1 time favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Spyderco Bench Stone No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I can’t say enough good about these stones. I have a medium and a fine. The fine I have had for over a year and I use it on a regular basis and it still shows no ware. With the fine I can take my tools edge to a mirror finish.

The thing I like about using ceramics is that it is clean. You do not have to use water or oil on these stones. For clean up I use a rubber pencil eraser just like we used in school. And if it gets to bad I use a little water, Comet and a green scouring pad.

I have used diamond stones and they worked great till I wore the diamonds off the stone. I have looked at some of the newer diamond products but with my experience from the past of how these ware I am leery of putting out that kind of money.

Side Note: All ceramic stone are not the same. I have seen where some of the experts talk down about the ceramics and say you have to resurface or flatten these stones, that is most likely because they have stones that are put together with some sort of composite materials which brake away when you use it. Global makes a stone like that and they are not worth the shipping.

View Phil53's profile

Phil53

View handyrandyrc's profile

handyrandyrc

I agree, Phil. I love the Spyderco product. I try not to over-think sharpening—rather I want something easy to pull out, get the job done, and put away with minimal fuss.

I don’t bother much with special jigs, etc. even though my scientific mind thinks they could cerainly help. I remind myself that our forefathers figured out how to do it without all the crazy things we have today. My hand is the jig, just like their hand was the jig.

View rustynails's profile

rustynails

Phil thanks for the review. What kind of prices do they get for these and were are you getting yours from?

Thanks Richard

View Phil53's profile

Phil53

I bought my stones at www.sharpeningsupplies.com. I have made 4 different orders through Sharpening Supplies and it has always been a good experience.

View sikrap's profile

sikrap

988 posts in 1956 days

Richard, If you’re interested in a set of these, PM me and we’ll talk.

-- Dave, Colonie, NY

View kommon_sense's profile

kommon_sense

You can find the spyderco’s on amazon for good prices. I have the medium and fine. Only issues that I’ve had is that the medium is their most aggressive/coarse stone and it is fairly difficult to flatten the back of a chisel or plane blade with one because it just isn’t aggressive enough. So I ended up getting a diasharp coarse sharpener for that type of prep work. Also only the ultrafine is available in an 8×3. The smaller 8×2 can be difficult to work with when sharpening a plane iron.

So if spyderco just made a courser stone and offered them all in 8×3, I’d only use spyderco :)

-- Expert Sawdust Maker