Insulfoam Garage Door Insulation Kit

Review by David Grimes posted 924 days ago 21937 views 8 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Insulfoam Garage Door Insulation Kit Insulfoam Garage Door Insulation Kit Insulfoam Garage Door Insulation Kit Click the pictures to enlarge them

My three garage doors were not insulated. Never a problem until last year when I converted bay 3 into the Man Cave wood shop and started spending much time out here. I don’t even remember what the back porch looks like. My dogs miss me terribly. They bark at me before they remember me.

I went to the BORG and the BBRG looking for garage door insulation whatever. They had some Owens Corning bag of flimsy, etc. No thanks. I called my garage door supplier/installer to see how much the real insulated panels cost. Answer: They are so proud of them that I better let them keep them.

So I get on the internet and find the Insulfoam site. Made in the USA. Looks great. But WAIT ! They say they are available at Lowe’s and Home Depot. I call both stores and they’ve never heard of them. I call the company and talk with the lady. She tells me they will be less expensive from Lowe’s than directly from them. Okay, so I go back online and find them at Lowe’s website. 4.6 stars !? 103 reviews !? 94 would recommend to a friend !? SOLD to the man with a card in his hand. I buy one door’s worth (a single kit). I got it in three days.

I install it in less than 30 minutes. Super. Just what it needs to be. And I’d pay more for the same thing if I had to. I love the harder textured laminated surface on the exposed side. It looks almost “factory”.

I ordered the other two kits.

Some specifics: I used the table saw to make perfect cuts. Turn the laminate side down and it is perfect. Save the extra slices to back fill the edges. No tape or adhesive required.

A wonderful product. Nearly no weight added to the garage door. Maybe 10 pounds (total per door) is a good guess. Cost is $54.97 per kit (8 sheets) that will cover up to a 9’ wide by 7’ tall single garage door.

I do recommend this product. I will be installing these for customers now that I know about it. This is right there with water softeners, pool ionizers and UVC light in the HVAC A-frame. Just plain a good idea.

Thanks for stopping in.

View David Grimes's profile

David Grimes

2072 posts in 1265 days

View Fallon's profile

Fallon

I got some blue 1/2” sheets of the fine grain foam from Lowes and did a similar job myself. Cut the foam in to the size of 1 of the panels on the garage door. The doors I have form a C channel on the inside the way the aluminum is curled in on the inside. Just right for putting a pair of 1/2” thick panels in. Bend the foam a little bit and they snapped right into place without any adhesive or fasteners. As it turns out the 2 sheets of half inch (all they had in stock) worked better than 1” thick, as it was easier to bend.

Hard to tell for sure from the pictures, but it might be the same C type channels as in the photos of your door.

Makes a huge difference when working in the garage, stays much more comfortable & uses less juice to keep it warm.

View Ben's profile

Ben

I had a friend that worked at lowes for a while and something most people don’t know… If you can get it from a catalog or a website, you can order it, have it shipped and pick it up at Lowes! Doesn’t matter if they carry the product or not. Also, that is the same stuff I have on the garage door in my shop. Seems to do what it’s supposed to.

-- Welcome to downtown Coolsville, Population: US! --Hogarth Hughes

View schuft's profile

schuft

That’s good info, thanks for sharing.

View popsshop's profile

popsshop

David, Sounds like a good plan . . . and affordable. Thanks.

-- Drilling holes in wood is a boring job

View ShaneA's profile

ShaneA

Sweet, thanks for posting.

View Sarit's profile

Sarit

Thanks for the review. Insulating the garage door is on my long list of todo’s.

View Peter's profile

Peter

Thanks! That’s pretty cool. We use insulfoam in our insulated sectional overhead door panels, so it’s cool to know you can add it to plain panels. Thanks for sharing!

-- Peter

View David Grimes's profile

David Grimes

2072 posts in 1265 days

I have now done all three of mine and loving it. REALLY a huge difference whether hot or cold outside.