Best bandsaw upgrade in 15 years!

Review by MedicineMan posted 02-08-2012 02:35 AM 2883 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Best bandsaw upgrade in 15 years! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have a 1990’s era Delta 14” bandsaw, and finally wore out the hand crank. Then I found the $19.00 crank offered by many sources. I have used it for about 5 years, then it wore out, locking the threads into the nut. This time I needed a fast fix and couldn’t take any chances, so I sprang for the $44.99 heavy duty tension crank I had seen on the Highland Hardware/Woodworking web site. It seemed kind of expensive, but I couldn’t find a source for the 3/8”-12 threaded rod and Nut. Since I needed to get back up and running quickly, I ordered the crank and installed. This was a quick install and the nut was a very close fit for the wheel housing. Because of the thread type and the heavy duty wheel, this thing works like a charm. The most smooth and precise action for tightening the blade that I have had in the last 15 years. Wish I had bought one sooner.

View MedicineMan's profile

MedicineMan

#1 posted 02-08-2012 09:51 PM

Very nice crank.
I made one of my own and love it : )

View Fuzzy's profile

Fuzzy

#2 posted 02-08-2012 10:28 PM

I did something very similar, but, when I turned the crank, it felt unstable & wobbly … sooo … I found a pillow block bearing whose i.d. matched that of the shaft and bolted it through the sheet metal of the upper-rear housing, shimming as needed. Not THAT was an improvement. I’ll try to post a pic to show exactly what I’m talking about.

-- - dabbling in sarcasm is foolish … if you’re not proficient at it, you end up looking stupid … ... ...

View MedicineMan's profile

MedicineMan

#3 posted 02-17-2012 02:05 AM

I used a block of oak to something similar. My oak pillow has no bearing but I put machine screws thru the upper wheel housing and put thru holes into the block and used washers and nuts to fasten it down. It does give good support when turning the wheel, as I am sure the pillow bearing will also do. I wish I was more machine and metal minded sometimes. Thanks for the idea.

View mrbreezeet1's profile

mrbreezeet1

#4 posted 08-10-2012 08:14 PM

I’d like to have that too, but it does seem like a lot of money.
Right now, I have the tall delta one with the black plastic knob on top, from another bandsaw, My 65 Delta bandsaw had the facet knob short tension rod.
If I make one, I would like to find some type of hardened steel rod, nit just a piece of mild steel, and I don’t want a piece of al thread either.

View mrbreezeet1's profile

mrbreezeet1

#5 posted 08-11-2012 01:19 AM

If I could get another facet knob, or a good piece of 3/8” hardened steel, I would not mind attaching my old facet knob to the longer steel rod. I don’t see a set screw or a pin, are these a press fit?
I can get a new Delta long one, with the plastic knob for about $9.81 & 3.99 Shipping, Shipping was reasonable for a change.
I see it’s on back order too,
I was thinking even of attaching the Old Facet knob to the new delta rod.
Or if I could find one of the Vintage Delta Small Ball Crank Table Saw Lathe Jointer Bandsaw Rockwell Like you see on e bay, that would look pretty good too.