Accurate, Quick & Easy

Review by Jim Crockett (USN Retired) posted 2332 days ago 2344 views 1 time favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Accurate, Quick & Easy No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

For years, I have had difficulty cutting a straight, perpendicular line with a handsaw. No matter what method I tried, the cut was neither straight nor perpendicular to the stock, most often both. I had got to the point where I would pull out my circsaw, jigsaw, or fire up the table saw for all cuts, a real pain. Then, a couple of months ago, I purchased the Irwin #213104 Dovetail/Detail Saw. I feel pretty certain that I didn’t suddenly develop the talent to saw a straight line, so I must credit the saw – whether it is the size, the fact it is a pull saw, or whatever, I now find it easy to make a straight, true cut.

Details:

- Cuts on pull stroke
- 22 tpi
- Blade Length 7-1/4” (replaceable)
- Primary uses – Flush cutting dowels and any fine detail cut (User example – Interior trim contractor/detail work around windows, fine woodworker)

At approximately $10.00, I don’t feel anyone can go wrong purchasing this saw. It is very convenient to use, whether cutting off dowels or trimming the end of a board. It is a valued tool in my arsenal now!

-- A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including his/her life".

View Jim Crockett (USN Retired)'s profile

Jim Crockett (USN Retired)

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

thanks for the post. I’ve been looking for a dovetail saw or flush cut saw so i guess i’ll try out this one. like you said for 10$ you really can’t go wrong. enjoy your saw.

View CedarFreakCarl's profile

CedarFreakCarl

Amen Jim. I’ve got one and use it all the time. Best 10 bucks I’ve spent in my shop.

-- Carl Rast, Pelion, SC

View Don Niermann  's profile

Don Niermann

I have 32 Lie Nelson saws and they both cut straighft.

-- WOOD/DON (...one has the right to ones opinion but not the right to ones own facts...)

View Woodshopfreak's profile

Woodshopfreak

I might have to get one

-- Tyler, Illinois

View Eric's profile

Eric

Lie Nielsen saws had BETTER cut straight for what you’re forking over for them! Glad to hear there’s a “poor guy” alternative for people like me.

-- Eric at http://adventuresinwoodworking.com

View jockmike2's profile

jockmike2

I’ve got one too, would’nt live without it. mike

-- (You just have to please the man in the Mirror) Mike from Michigan -

View coolbreeze's profile

coolbreeze

Funny, I was just looking at these along with some Japanese pull saws and was wondering if it was worth a try. Thanks for the tip.

-- Jason, AL

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

I am sold on pull-saws. I like my japanese one better than my Irwin, however.

View Peter Oxley's profile

Peter Oxley

I’ve been really happy with mine, too.

-- http://www.peteroxley.com -- http://north40studios.etsy.com --

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

That are great!

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

i got the closest thing to that saw in the Marples detail/dovetail one and its great. i love it and i can cut dovetails now. i just wrote a review on it too just to back up your point that these saws work great. thanks for the review.

View Dakkar's profile

Dakkar

My Sharksaw version of this is starting to get dull and I see I can buy one of these saws complete for about 2/3 the price of a replacement blade. I’ll probably go that way.