Accurate, Quick & Easy

Review by Jim Crockett (USN Retired) posted 03-08-2008 11:45 PM 2504 views 1 time favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Accurate, Quick & Easy No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

For years, I have had difficulty cutting a straight, perpendicular line with a handsaw. No matter what method I tried, the cut was neither straight nor perpendicular to the stock, most often both. I had got to the point where I would pull out my circsaw, jigsaw, or fire up the table saw for all cuts, a real pain. Then, a couple of months ago, I purchased the Irwin #213104 Dovetail/Detail Saw. I feel pretty certain that I didn’t suddenly develop the talent to saw a straight line, so I must credit the saw – whether it is the size, the fact it is a pull saw, or whatever, I now find it easy to make a straight, true cut.

Details:

- Cuts on pull stroke
- 22 tpi
- Blade Length 7-1/4” (replaceable)
- Primary uses – Flush cutting dowels and any fine detail cut (User example – Interior trim contractor/detail work around windows, fine woodworker)

At approximately $10.00, I don’t feel anyone can go wrong purchasing this saw. It is very convenient to use, whether cutting off dowels or trimming the end of a board. It is a valued tool in my arsenal now!

-- A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including his/her life".

View Jim Crockett (USN Retired)'s profile

Jim Crockett (USN Retired)

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#1 posted 03-08-2008 11:48 PM

thanks for the post. I’ve been looking for a dovetail saw or flush cut saw so i guess i’ll try out this one. like you said for 10$ you really can’t go wrong. enjoy your saw.

View CedarFreakCarl's profile

CedarFreakCarl

#2 posted 03-09-2008 03:16 AM

Amen Jim. I’ve got one and use it all the time. Best 10 bucks I’ve spent in my shop.

-- Carl Rast, Pelion, SC

View Don Niermann  's profile

Don Niermann

#3 posted 03-09-2008 03:45 AM

I have 32 Lie Nelson saws and they both cut straighft.

-- WOOD/DON (...one has the right to ones opinion but not the right to ones own facts...)

View Woodshopfreak's profile

Woodshopfreak

#4 posted 03-09-2008 10:33 PM

I might have to get one

-- Tyler, Illinois

View Eric's profile

Eric

#5 posted 03-12-2008 02:16 PM

Lie Nielsen saws had BETTER cut straight for what you’re forking over for them! Glad to hear there’s a “poor guy” alternative for people like me.

-- Eric at http://adventuresinwoodworking.com

View jockmike2's profile

jockmike2

#6 posted 03-12-2008 10:57 PM

I’ve got one too, would’nt live without it. mike

-- (You just have to please the man in the Mirror) Mike from Michigan -

View coolbreeze's profile

coolbreeze

#7 posted 03-13-2008 04:23 AM

Funny, I was just looking at these along with some Japanese pull saws and was wondering if it was worth a try. Thanks for the tip.

-- Jason, AL

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#8 posted 03-13-2008 11:44 AM

I am sold on pull-saws. I like my japanese one better than my Irwin, however.

View Peter Oxley's profile

Peter Oxley

#9 posted 03-13-2008 03:10 PM

I’ve been really happy with mine, too.

-- http://www.peteroxley.com -- http://north40studios.etsy.com --

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#10 posted 03-13-2008 03:28 PM

That are great!

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#11 posted 03-22-2008 09:34 PM

i got the closest thing to that saw in the Marples detail/dovetail one and its great. i love it and i can cut dovetails now. i just wrote a review on it too just to back up your point that these saws work great. thanks for the review.

View Dakkar's profile

Dakkar

#12 posted 02-18-2013 06:24 PM

My Sharksaw version of this is starting to get dull and I see I can buy one of these saws complete for about 2/3 the price of a replacement blade. I’ll probably go that way.