Delta 40-690 20" scroll saw

Review by RetiredCoastie posted 935 days ago 6741 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Delta  40-690 20" scroll saw Delta  40-690 20" scroll saw No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was lucky enough to get this saw while Woodcraft’s had it on sale for $349.00 last week. It was delivered today and I stoped everything I was doing and put it together. After reading reviews that dinged it for some problems I inspected it carefully. One of the issues was the attach screws for the light. I inspected the screws and then the threads in the saw housing. I found that the first few threads were non existant and the screws were just a bit to short and had no bite. I bought longer 6mm screws and attached the light with no problems and it is now solidly attached. Other reviews dinged the stand as being flimsy. I first assembled the stand with the hardware hand tight and then with the stand on level ground I attached the saw and torqued the mount bolts and then torqued the stand hardware. Everything is stable and rock solid. I leveled the table and squared it with the blade. I then waxed the table. On the left side of the table it is just a bit rough but with some light sanding with emery cloth that is now smooth. Delta provides you with an allen and a torx bit for attaching the table but the bevel indicater pointer screw is a different size but I had one so I was able to zero out the pointer. As far as tilting the table, it isn’t as smooth as I’d have expected but it works ok. With the hardware pack Delta provides you with 2 blades and a piece of stamped metal that is not listed in the instructions (see attached picture). Do any of you know what this is for? I cut with the saw for about an hour with different woods and thicknesses and I must say I’m very impressed. The variable speed is smooth and during sawing I checked for blade squareness and it never came out of square. The tensioner is smooth and positioned where you need it, at the front of the saw. I did attach the saw to a foot operated switch and I must say that is going to be a big help although the speed control and on/off swith are also mounted within easy reach. This saw is exactly like the DEWALT 788 but the stand and light were included in the sale price. I’m looking forward to using this saw and hopefully it will hold up as well as the Dewalt. I would have given it 5 stars except for the issue I stated but it’s still a great product so far. Time will tell.

-- www.thepatriotwoodworker.com Proud Supporter of Homes For Our Troops

View RetiredCoastie's profile

RetiredCoastie

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

” I’m looking forward to using this saw” so this review is not based on usage?

if so, I think it would be great if you could come back in a year or 2 and update this review to add some feedback to how the tool actually performs over the long run. issues… failures… pros and cons.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View rance's profile

rance

I bought the same one a couple of months ago. I did not have the problems you had. I also helped Woodbutcher3 put his together with no problems either. Using the saw has been a dream. Only thing I would change is to add a foot switch like what you’ve done. That’s nothing negative against the saw.

-- Backer boards, stop blocks, build oversized, and never buy a hand plane--

View Todd's profile

Todd

Thanks for the review. I actually had my eyes on one of these, then ended up buying a blasted Craftsman scroll instead. It gets the job done, but it’s certainly nowhere comparable to a Delta. I don’t use a scroll saw very often, I find that my band saw gets far more use, but if the time comes I’ll probably find myself trading in my Craftsman for a better brand.

Let me know how it goes.

-- Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsman can hide his mistakes! - Walter Blodget

View RetiredCoastie's profile

RetiredCoastie

Thanks guys. I hope this helps some of you.

Purplev this review is in no means an endorsement for DELTA or the saw. Simply addressing some issues that I found in reviews on several web sites and what I discovered and how I addressed them regarding this saw. I looked at pages and pages on websites that gave this saw high praise and very few that gave it a low rating and it was those low rating issues that I was refering to. None of the reviews that I read gave it a low rating because of breakdown after use.

-- www.thepatriotwoodworker.com Proud Supporter of Homes For Our Troops

View Delta356's profile

Delta356

Congrats. You can’t go wrong with Delta…

Thanks, Michael Frey
Portland, OR

FREY WOODWORKING INC.

View d2reu's profile

d2reu

I have had this saw for over a year now and am very happy with it. No real problems except the dust blower attachment cracked where it hooks onto the saw. A couple of drops of crazy glue took care of the problem. I scroll every weekend and also sometimes during the week. I’ve put a lot of hours on the machine and am very pleased with it. This is the exact same saw as the DeWalt but can usually be found quite a bit cheaper.

-- Dan, Minnesota, http://www.woodcraftsbydan.com