Precision Rotary Carving Tool

Review by mpounders posted 800 days ago 4245 views 1 time favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Precision Rotary Carving Tool Precision Rotary Carving Tool Precision Rotary Carving Tool Click the pictures to enlarge them

I wanted to recommend this tool after using it for over a month. I have a variety of roatary tools that I use for carving, in addition to traditional hand tools. And each tool seems to fill certain needs. I started with a Dremel (25k rpms) and added a flex-shaft and it was good for a variety of things, but it wouldn’t take larger 1/4” attachments. My Foredom flex-shaft with footpedal is great for roughing out and sanding and is really durable and powerful, even thought the rpms are only 15k. Micro-motor tools start at around $250 and should only be used for detail work…they can be damaged by forcing them to work too hard! So I have hesitated for several years on spending the money to get extra rpms, when I could buy several Dremels for the same cost. My anxiety went away after opening the box and using this tool a bit! It is everything I was hoping for….small and comfortable in the hand, quiet, powerful, and really easy to manuever. The 45k rpm motor is in the lightweight handpiece and connects to the DC power supply and speed controller with a coiled cord. The controller has forward/reverse, reset button for overload protection, and you can purchase an optional footpedal for speed control also. The hand piece accepts 1/8” bits and comes with a reducer collet for 3/32nd bits, and are very easy to change with just a quarter twist of the locking ring on the handpiece. Very quiet, no vibration, and very precise, excellent for detailed work. The higher rpms allow smaller bits to cut much better, while the precise speed control lets you slow things down for other types, to prevent burning. I am quite pleased with this tool, especially with how comfortable it is in the hand. This tool is designed for delicate and detailed work and I have found nothing disappointing with any part of it. It takes up little bench space and has quickly become my go-to tool for a lot of little carving and sanding details and clean up. I’m not sure that everybody needs one, but I hope that this review will help those who have considered purchasing one.

View Rob W's profile

Rob W

413 posts in 2035 days

Thanks for posting Mike.

I have wondered about getting one of these for a while.

I have an NKS air turbine that spins at around 350K and takes 1/16” bits but sometimes it is a hassle to setup and the compressor makes a lot of noise. This might be good middle ground between the air turbine and the foredom.

Rob W.

-- Rob — I've cut it off twice and it's still too short!, http://www.witzkewood.com

109189 posts in 2076 days

Super review looks like a great tool.

mpounders

They also make a collet reducer for 1/16th bits! I was really pleased at how quiet it is, compared to my other tools. Most places, like Old Texas Woodcarvers and Smokey Moutain Woodcarvers, offer free shipping also, on purchases of this amount. I had considered a MasterCarver flexshaft, which also does 45k, but I really wanted something with more precision and ease of use (meaning: not limited by the flex shaft itself). This is like using a pencil and changing bits is faster than any of my other tools!

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

I love my high speed detailer.

I have the mastercarver combo and it is one of my favorite go to tools for detailing and decorating. I couldn’t count how many times I have used it while repairing a piece of broken furniture, or to fix an oversized tenon….there are countless applications for these tools….and as you mention…the ease of bit changes is very convenient. I was set to purchase the Ram version until I read a review on the Mastercarver and found it onsale with some extra bits and burning tips. Both of these two units are high quality and easy on the budget – I would recommend either one to someone considering one of these units..

Great review Mike….thanks for sharing your impressions and experiences.

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

View Mark A. DeCou's profile

Mark A. DeCou

1971 posts in 2904 days

this has been on my wishlist for quite a few years. Thanks for the review, and from looking at your work, you use the tool well.

Mark

-- Mark DeCou - American Contemporary Craft Artisan - www.decoustudio.com

View Roger's profile

thnx for the gr8 review Mike. with all the carving you do, your words are good fer me. I’ve got a foredom, and a few dremels. I just need to do some more carving… that, among many other things, is on the “to-to” list.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View Jimthecarver's profile

Jimthecarver

I have been thinking about one of these….but as you said I am also a bit hesitant to get one.
Is heat a concern? I have tried a few types and found they heated up after a few minutes of use.
I use the Shofu 360000 rpm air tool, but at 3 am the air compressor is an unwanted sound to say the least. So Im left waiting.
Thanks for the review, it gives me something to think about.

-- Can't never could do anything, to try is to advance.

View doordude's profile

doordude

for doing the detail work that you do; which tool would you recomend buying, the foredom or the ram?

mpounders

Jim, I am not sure about the heat. I used it on high speed with blue stone in it for about thirty continuous minutes last night, cleaning up some rough spots on a carving. It warmed up slightly after a few minutes but didn’t seem to get any hotter. It was just slightly warm, not uncomfortable, and nothing that would make you want to put it down. Not like a Dremel I had, which also blew really cold air on my hand in the winter time, in addition to burning my hand at other times. Doordude, the ram is much better for detail work, due to the higher speed, small handpiece, and no bulky flex shaft to wave around. But if I could only have one tool, I’d buy the Foredom. I have used it with huge bits for roughing out and small bits for detailing; it is an all-round tool and is great at some things and good at others, like detailing. I’m not a golfer, but think of it like a golf club. You could use a driver for putting, but a putter does it better!

View doordude's profile