Grizzly 1023RL Table Saw

Review by Pie posted 02-02-2012 02:36 AM 6419 views 1 time favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly 1023RL Table Saw Grizzly 1023RL Table Saw No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I remember mentioning to my wife around Oct 2011 that I wanted a nice tablesaw for Christmas. She just said we will see. Then in November she said find one you like and let me know. I looked over lots of saws on the web and settled on the Grizzly 1023RL. When I told her the price, I thought she was have me checked for a brain at the doctors office. Instead she told me to order it since her and my mother-in-law was gong in halves on it. I was floored but happy. Wow a real tables-saw. My existing table saw was a Hitachi Job-site saw that performed admirably for the price I paid for it, around $200.
The saw was delivered by a semi pulling a 48’ trailer. No, it wasn’t getting down my 150’ driveway. So I walked out to the truck and had no idea how I was gonna get it in the basement. But hell, who cares, It was gonna get done even if I had to dig a hole and put in a storm door. So here I am looking into the trailer which was up to my shoulders and no lift. Can’t lift it down, it weighs around 450 lbs, can’t just give it the heave ho and hope for the best. Ahhh, I go get my truck and back up to his trailer. Both of us lay the saw on it side and slide it halfway out his trailer and then into my truck bed, standing it up in my truck. Cool, one problem solved. Now how do I get it out of my truck into the garage. Luckily my garage is higher than the driveway, so I back my truck up so my tailgate is in the garage, leaving about a 2-3’ drop. Once a gain I lay it down and slide it halfway (with the help of my wife) and now its in the garage. Still have to go up a disabled persons ramp, through 2 doors and down the steps into the basement. So I used my furniture dolly along with my 27 year old, beefy son and down the basement we went. Sweet!!
I also got the Shop Fox mobile base so I can move it around easily.
I set the saw up as the instructions said, took my time and it was very easy to do. No missing parts, levelled the cast iron top, put the rails on and the the fence. The entire table feels real solid and cuts great. No more cutting something only to find it isn’t a straight cut, this thing cuts nice and straight. The miter gauge that came with it is pretty hefty, the ON/OFF switch is right at my left knee so I can shut it off. The ON switch can only be turned on my pressing with your finger with is a good safety feature (probably standard on lots of saws). When I turn the saw on, it just hummms and is rather quiet. Cleaning it out is easy since there are 2 doors, one on each side. The blade guard is made so I can lift one side or the other or both if I need to raise them. I have used it since the beginning of December, (early present) and I love it. Hope this helps others deciding to buy a quality table saw. I read many of the Lumberjocks reviews on table saws and that helped my decide on the Grizzly. No regrets so far.

-- Pie

View Pie's profile

Pie

View PKFF's profile

PKFF

#1 posted 02-02-2012 02:43 AM

I purchases the G0690 this past December and I am absolutely impressed by the saw. I had tried out several saws from the powermatic, delta unisaw, jet, etc and I have no regrets. I have done three projects with it and no complaints. I will definitely purchase grizzly again in the future.

Congrats on the purchase!

-- "If you put your best effort forward today, you won't have to re-do it tomorrow"

#2 posted 02-02-2012 02:53 AM

Wow what a great upgrade. thanks for the review.

View Don W's profile

Don W

#3 posted 02-02-2012 04:50 AM

I bought a 1023SL used about 6 months ago, and I love it. I just had t drive a couple hours and then derust it, but its a great saw.

-- Master hand plane hoarder. - http://timetestedtools.com

View gfadvm's profile (online now)

gfadvm

#4 posted 02-02-2012 05:12 AM

That is a seriously nice saw! Congrats on your choice of wife. She’s a keeper!

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View chopnhack's profile

chopnhack

#5 posted 02-02-2012 05:46 AM

Congrats and use in good health :-) Glad to hear that grizzly is producing a quality product.

-- Sneaking up on the line....

View rikgn's profile

rikgn

#6 posted 02-02-2012 08:14 AM

You lucky Dog! You must have been a real good boy! Nice!!!

View ward63's profile

ward63

#7 posted 02-02-2012 01:55 PM

Congrats on nice saw!

View felkadelic's profile

felkadelic

#8 posted 02-02-2012 08:24 PM

Nice saw. The 1023 or the 690 was going to be my choice if I hadn’t gotten a used Unisaw

View woodmaker's profile

woodmaker

#9 posted 02-02-2012 09:15 PM

That is a nice saw, I gave it great consideration and then purchased the G0690 last May.
The G0690 is a great saw not once has it skipped a beat.

-- Mike

View oxyoke's profile

oxyoke

#10 posted 02-03-2012 01:52 AM

WOW great saw wonderful wife EVEN mother-in-law. Does it get any better?!!!!!!!!!!!!

-- Bill Byron Center MI

View Binn's profile

Binn

#11 posted 02-03-2012 09:11 AM

Pie, I bought one of these 15 years ago and it still works. Mine was the 1023Z and I loved it. I sold it a year ago to a friend to buy me a sliding table saw. I took my 1023z and converted the dust collection to the left side and made me a shroud around the blade to collect the dust worked great, have photos if you would like to see. Mine did not have a riving knife and that is what I needed, the new ones have those built in.

-- Barry, Louisiana

View Viking's profile

Viking

857 posts in 1918 days

#12 posted 02-03-2012 01:22 PM

Good choice PIe.

We all look forward to see what comes from your new TS.

-- Rick Gustafson - Lost Creek Ranch - Colorado County, Texas

#13 posted 02-05-2012 10:42 PM

Fantastic score. Now, what re you going to make for the mother in law

-- Norman

View Pie's profile

Pie

#14 posted 02-06-2012 02:55 AM

NormG – I’m glad my mother-in-law doesn’t get on LJ’s, she may add to the project list LOL. I’ve made her stuff on my scroll saw and needed to cut the wood on my table saw. does that count, LOL?

I forgot to add that not only is the saw great but the manual it comes with is great as well. Not only does it have install instructs, but it has wring diagrams, parts list with exploded views and templates to make push sticks, feather boards etc. Plus it tells you how do maintenance on it if required.

-- Pie

View David Kennedy's profile

David Kennedy

#15 posted 02-07-2012 04:42 AM

Looks like a nice saw. I had bought mine about 20 yrs ago. I have not even replaced the belts yet. These saws are a great value, and no horsepower problems. 750. new then and powermatic was 1800.00. Thanks for sharing. ps g1023

-- Dave, W.V.