Isometric Drawing Paper

Review by tenontim posted 807 days ago 3096 views 8 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Isometric Drawing Paper No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

For all of you pencil, paper, I don’t have time to learn SketchUp, hard heads like me, I found a nice little resource on the web. It’s isometric drawing paper, for hand drawing 3d sketches. You can buy this paper already printed, but I found several sites that let you download and print your own, as you need it. The site at
http://www.customgraph.com/piart.php?art=587 has the best set up that I found, since you can change the perimeters and line colors.
Give it a try, for more professional looking drawings. I’ve been have having a lot of fun with it.

-- Tim

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

View Charles Maxwell's profile

Charles Maxwell

This is a great find! Can’t thank you enough. do all of my projects by hand drawing and i have been doing ISO drawings with 30-60-90 triangles. This paper solves my problem!

-- Max the "night janitor" at www.hardwoodclocks.com

View Smalltimer's profile

Smalltimer

Thanks! I just printed some up and they’ll be very useful.

View ClayandNancy's profile

ClayandNancy

Thanks This will work perfectly for us Sketchup challenged people.

View Viking's profile

Viking

Thanks for sharing this Tim. I also like to draw my ideas up on paper as well.

Good luck.

-- Rick Gustafson - Lost Creek Ranch - Colorado County, Texas

View Sawkerf's profile

Sawkerf

Damn, are they still making that?? I first used it in the late 60’s or early 70’s. I think that I last used it in the late 80’s. – lol

-- Adversity doesn't build character...................it reveals it.

View FirehouseWoodworking's profile

FirehouseWoodworking

Thanks very much for sharing! That is a very useful product!

Now I’m going to have to go out and get some more cartridges for my printer!!!! LOL!

-- Dave; Lansing, Kansas

View Roger's profile

pretty kool link Tim. I’m sure it will be used fer somethin along the way. thnx fer postin

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

For those that like this route, there is also a “rolling ruler” that makes these kinds of drawings easier particularly when it comes to parallel lines. It is basically a ruler with two tires that roll, parallel for the most part, over the paper. It also has some other capabilities that become obvious once you see one of the pictures of these rulers. The one I have is probably over 15 years old and it still works without a “software” update and the learning curve is very shallow.

There are so many rolling rulers available out there I don’t want to single out a specific one. Just use your favorite browser and search for “rolling ruler”. You will find many more than you need.

With respect to SketchUp, I have tried it and gone back to PTC (Parametric Technology Corporation) with CoCreate solid modelling which, for being FREE, is a true 3D modelling program with 2D annotation for automatic part print generation. It does have some limits i.e. no rendering and limited to 60 parts but other than that I find it easier than SketchUp. Don’t get me wrong, there is a learning curve associated with both of these but the CoCreate, now Creo, modelling program uses more terms that are familiar i.e. extrude, turn, mill, punch, bore, fillet etc..

If anyone is interested, I can show some examples.

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

View PCM's profile

PCM

I’d like to see some examples.

View grumpy749's profile

grumpy749

I also would be intrested in some examples. I took drafting in high school so drawing my projects was never a problem but maybe I should join the real world. Just what I need to take away more shop time.

-- Denis in Grande Prairie. Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mistery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.....Pink !

View Roco54's profile

Roco54

Intersting!

The isometric paper was the “only way” to draft piping spools and other things in the petrochemical and refining engineering fieldds, but was relegated to the past by the rise of drafting software, mainly AUTOCAD and INTERGRAPH, before the pletora of drafting software now available. We used to have floors full of drafting boards, but those are gone too. I still put on paper my woodworking project thoughts and I will until I die – I think

But SKETCHUP and other programs, bring possibilities that didn’t exist when we drafted on paper – No more erasing machines and messy crums…

-- Life is what we make of it

View buffalosean's profile

buffalosean

I like iso pads. We use them at work. I enjoy drawing by hand.

Thanks for posting this. Its good for people to remember there are other ways to drawn stuff other than sketch up. Sketch up is good technology, but its not necessary and its not for everyone.

-- There are many ways to skin a cat...... but, the butter knife is not recommended

View Ben's profile

Ben

I’ve seen this before and it sure beats regular graph paper for working drawings. Thanks for the link, they have a lot of options to suit just about anyone

-- Welcome to downtown Coolsville, Population: US! --Hogarth Hughes

Thanks for the link…very helpful : )

-- When you arrive at my front door, please knock softly but firmly. I like soft , firm, knockers : )

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

PCM, grumpy749, Roco54, and other that might be interested

I have a very short introduction (I do mean very short) in a PDF document and as soon as I figure out how to attach this file I will put it in this thread.

As I stated previously, I use Creo Elements/Direct Modeling Express from PTC (link below to free 3D CAD) and to the company itself.

On the right side of the download page you will see the Free download – Creo Elements/Direct Modeling Express

CAD download link
PTC company link

As I stated before, you should be able to do anything in woodworking, and more, with this software!
Honestly I don’t understand how they can give this away!

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"