Table Saw

Review by Nighthawk posted 893 days ago 3722 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Table Saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Tooline Table Saw TS250

• Power: 1500 watt
  • Blade: 254×15.9×2.8, with 40 teeth.
  • Blade rising range: 0 – 80mm
  • Blade titling range: 0 – 45 Degree
  • Max cut at 90 degree: 80mm
  • Max cut at 45 degree: 55mm
  • Weight: 21.5 kg
  • Accessories: Has an accessoray kit so I can attach a router or possibly a jigsaw. Dust ports.
  • Cost: $470.00 NZD

Bought 18th November 2011
I would class this as a small portable DIY table saw. Whilst it is not exactly the orginal one I planned on getting as I was wanting a couple of grades up but alas, I could not justify the increase in cost, maybe down the track. However I will say this, it should serve me for the next few years at least.

Review

Service
I tried looking for serious DIY table saw in my price range well there weren’t any really and decided to go with the Tooline TS250 Table saw. Paul at Placemakers bent over backwards looking for on even to the extent ringing the opposition about one of their brands. AEG is classed as serious DIY gear from Bunnings as is Worx from Mitre10Mega. However AEG don’t do a table saw in New Zealand and Worx only have The Blade Runner not really what I was after.

So I downgraded myself to a typical DIY saw, because I could not justify going to the next level which we are talking $1500 and up. (having just bought a house we are a bit tight on the budget… which was about $900) Ordered it on Thursday, Paul said “no worries and it most likely will be here on the following Wednesday is that okay” My simple answer was “cool”.

Monday arrives and I get a phone call from Paul “Your table saw is here…” My simple answer was “cool”. I am a man of few words you see. I arrange with Ken for picking up saw after work on the Tuesday. Thanks for that, and am waiting for the bill… oh wait I am helping you on my day off :-)

Packaging
Being a small saw and pretty lite, the packaging was simply a cardboard box and polysterne moulding. The box looks a bit rough but the moulding did their job and all was good.

Assembly
Having never assembled one of these things before, I had a quick read of the (shock horror) manual. Okay technically pretty simple. Assemble the stand take polysterne off motor. Attach stand to table and flip onto stand and you have a table saw… assemble the rip fence and mitre fence… cool… Guard, how does that go…

Attach the riving knife to the guard… errrr see figure10. The pictures in the manual are low quality black & white and not that great for use for anything. Anyway I worked it out. Believe it or not the guard wont be there a lot of the time especially when I want to do a Dado housing trench or the like or when the cross cut sled is on.

Quality
On must remember it is a DIY machine on par with the Ryobi saw in its class (heck probably came from the same factory as they are very similar. So there are plastic parts that look like the can break easily if you are not careful, on the mitre gauage fence. The Main housing of the motor is a heavy duty plastic, and the rest is alloy.

RIP fence whilst will do its job, it does have a fraction of movement when locked and this could lead to unaccurate cuts and I may make my own jig to replace. The handles for raising and lowering the blade and tilting the blade are also heavy duty plastic and not as smooth as I want.

Now I am not complaining, because as I said I could not justify the jump in price to the next level just yet so over all I am happy just have the a table saw and I have always believed if you look after your tools they will do their job, and for the time being this will do the job.

Accessories.
It comes with a plate that you can attach your router to and somehow re-arrage the rip fence and you have a router table. This is not a standard accessory and is extra cost. The other side looks like (using the same attachment, I guess) you can attach a jigsaw again, I guess. I have tried attaching the router to it and with the plate etc… ummm well no. Make own router jig instead.

Overall
Having aready used it a many times, I can see just by simply having it available it will get used on many many up and coming projects. Since I am aware of the few things I pointed out in this quick review I can compensate and just becareful doing things etc.

With the help of a friend we were able to rip 5 metre lengths… (ummm 5m = 17 foot) lengths of pine we just took our time and let the saw do the job… admitidily I wouldn’t want to do that by my self as I technically don’t have a room, and no out feed table, but we were able to do it.

So overall, so far I be happy for now, I have a small table saw, it will enhance and make doing many projects easier, however I can see an upgrade in a year or two to my original contractors saw and I will most likely just donate this one to a friend.

Now I give this four stars, not for being a great awesome saw, that can compete with the big panels saws but for its class as a DIY home brand. It will meet those needs. For doing fine woodworking… well time will tell but no I don’t think so as there are to many limitations. But one of the tings I do like about it is that it is so portable and we can take to on site to do other small jobs :-)

-- Rome wasn't built in a day... but I wasn't on that job? ... http://www.wackywoodworks.co.nz

View daltxguy's profile

daltxguy

There are no real table saws available in New Zealand, as you’ve discovered.

The only exception is the SawStop but outside your budget.

-- If you can't joint it, bead it!

Nighthawk

You are correct… there is a pretty big hole in the market there, I will be allowed to upgrade, but will have to wait for a year or two. (or till I just need it what ever comes first)

There are a few brands here, but not like the market the States have, supply and demand I guess.

I will either upgrade to the Tooline Contractors saw TS256 or look at one of the Macma brand saws… I have heard a few good things about the Ryobi Pro saw as well… but…? and I don’t know too much about Hafco#

View renesgtz's profile

renesgtz

which maker of router will fit this table saw as i have one and have just started to get into the joinerery side and would like to utilize my rather than buying a new one

Nighthawk

Sorry I don’t use the routher attachment… but I belieev you can get a universal attachment to fit a variet of routers…