Tooline Scroll Saw

Review by Nighthawk posted 940 days ago 2865 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Tooline Scroll Saw Tooline Scroll Saw No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them
  • Power: 125 Watt
  • Speed: Variable 500-1650RPM
  • Max Cuting Thickness: 50MM
  • Stroke: 20MM
  • Throat: 405mm
  • Bevel: Adjustable tilte 45°
  • Accessories: Light, Rotoary tool for engraving (take dreamal bits), pinless blade adaptor
  • Cost new: $299.00 NZD

Bought Mid 2011
I am the type of person that buys things to meet my needs and not go out and buy the latest and greatest and try to keep up with the Jones, and then never use that tool I have just bought. The Tooline SS402 Scroll Saw is not top of the line actually it is really an entry level and what I would call a cheap scroll saw, but since I am only learning the art of scroll sawing and seeing if I will get into it more. (which I probably will the more woodworking I do) I didn’t want to spend too much.

What I will say is I have used it on a number of projects now, example the Coffin crosses, the Southern Rider Plagues, even the Cribbage board and other things like and a few other projects I have not posted here, so I have had a decent play on it before I have writen this review. Simply put it does the job and what it was designed to do, it does what they claim it can do… that is a good start.

I am going to start with my dislikes first which is backwards normally you try and rope people in with the sell of why you like it first, but on this occasion well lets be different…

Dislikes
  • The centre piece is plastic and is not even with the surface of the table, this is a slight annoyance when you come to it and your work doesn’t slide over it smoothly, I am slowly puting tape there to get it even the unevenness interfers a little with cutting.
  • The other thing is the foot appers to be on an angle when tighten it and I have straighten it, again an easy fix by bending it straight every so often etc.
Likes
  • The accessory rotary adaptor takes standard dremel bits.
  • The variable speed, when I am cutting the finer bits in thinner stock.
  • The accessory light, even now when I have better lighting in my shop I use the accessory light.
  • The dust extraction port and the blower seem to work.
  • Even though it is an art form getting use to it the pinless adaptor for the blades, it means I can still take blades and get the smaller finer cuts in some fine art work.

Now as I said it is a cheap saw, but believe it or not it does the job for what I use it for. I won’t be needing to upgrade it for some time unless it dies on me, and even then it may only be to Toolines SS457 Scroll Saw which is the bigger brother and even that is still classed as a cheap scroll saw.

Now because it is cheap, and has those annoying dislikes, I have given 3 stars instead of 4. Would I recommend this scroll saw, yes to someone like me that is starting out and not sure if you will fully get into the hobby and is on a budget but if you are already in the hobby and have used other saws then no, I would go with the other brands like DeWalt etc.

-- Rome wasn't built in a day... but I wasn't on that job? ... http://www.wackywoodworks.co.nz

View Nighthawk's profile

Nighthawk

View stefang's profile (online now)

stefang

12938 posts in 1966 days

The important thing is that you can do the projects you want to with the tools you have. There is nothing better than having the best equipment, but sometime that’s not possible, and an entry level tool can get you going and enjoying the new possibilities that open up with it.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View Nighthawk's profile

Nighthawk

As soon as I bought it, and had it in my basement… I was working on another project and wondering how I would cut that… when it hit me scroll saw can do that… Just having in the shop, entry level machine or not does mean it opens up other possibilities of what I can make and can change the way I do stuff… all for the better.

Haven semi decent blades also helps…