Delta 18-36 x5 drum sander.

Review by Ken90712 posted 904 days ago 6173 views 0 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Delta 18-36 x5 drum sander. Delta 18-36 x5 drum sander. Delta 18-36 x5 drum sander. Click the pictures to enlarge them

First off Thanks to Joe Lydon who introduced me to his buddy Bob that was selling this sander. I mentioned to him I was going to buy one and he told me about a buddy that had one that he never used. I’m not normally good at buying used stuff, but I trusted Joe. Bod said, “If I didn’t like it I could return it for a refund.” (Who does that now a day?) Not a bad deal for used sander. I was shocked how clean this was when I arrived. We agreed on the price and off we went. 5 stars to Joe and Bob!!!!!

The reason I gave it 3 stars is something I was aware of when I bought this sander. The belt tracking is a joke. I have messed with this 30 some times. Once I have it were I think it is dialed in, about 5-8 passes later it’s time to readjust. I would not have expected this from Delta. The sander otherwise works great and I’m happy with that portion. Maybe 3.5 stars but its not a 4 or 5 for sure.

I have wanted one of these for a while and thx to Joe and Bob for saving me money!

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

I have the same tracking issues with my small performax..it is annoying!

-- We call the destruction of replaceable human made items vandalism, while the destruction of irreplaceable natural resources is called development.

View Howie's profile

Howie

My Jet 16/32 was good to go right out of the box.u se it everyday and no problems.

-- Life is good.

View degoose's profile

degoose

6967 posts in 1950 days

I too have the Jet and no problems and no adjustment .. straight out of the box…
Good score just the same..

-- Drink twice... and don't bother to cut... @ lazylarrywoodworks.com.au For lovers of all things timber...

Now you tell me LOL The savings were worth the headache I guess.

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

Ken,

Thank you… I’ll send this to Bob.

Glad the main Business end works good!
... maybe, in time, you’ll discover the Secret to handling that tracking.

Does anything ‘turn’ to get it out of adjustment?

Maybe a newer belt would work better…()
... old one stretching, etc. (

I’m glad your overall outlook is good!

Thanks for the Review.

View Roger's profile

awesome… word of mouth is sometimes best. good find and good friend for fixin u up

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View JL7's profile

JL7

Hey Ken – you will surely enjoy this if you get beyond the tracking issues…...the fact that you didn’t pay retail helps! Joe might be spot on, maybe a new belt is in order?

You’ll figure it out…...good score….and enjoy the speediness of your future sanding!

Jeff

-- Jeff - I have not failed. I've just found 10,002 ways that won't work.

View Woodmaster1's profile

Woodmaster1

I am glad I read the review looks like I will buy the jet instead of the delta.

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

Hi Ken;

We have the same unit, with the same tracking problems. And we did spend a fair amount of time messing with it. But like you said, you get it perfect and after a little use, is back to tracking wrong.

Lee

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

365 posts in 2027 days

I also have the same unit. Bought it this summer from a the local toy vendor as a refurb. It was never used by the original owner, or at least he could never get it to work right. It sat next to the new version and for literally half the cost of the new one, I have the same exact physcial machine except for the new one has a closed stand. I also see the tracking issue, but seriously, for $500 difference, and the work that it does in sanding down end grain cutting boards and other items, I’ll suck it up and dink with the tweaking of the tracking hex bolt. I absolutely love what it can do for flattening. I’d buy it again in a heartbeat. I’d had my eye set on the Jet/Performax, but again, for half the price…I’m loving it.

-- Scott, Irmo SC

Of all the machines in my shop , this is the one that I actually hate.
I’ve spent more time fixing it than using it, and I should have gotten my money back when I had the chance , rather than exchanging it for a second one. Biggest waste of money and space in my shop.
I would sell it , but my conscience won’t let me pass it on to another woodworker.
Hopefully your problems will be few : )

Safety issue :
Be cautious about turning off the belt drive when you turn off the drum.
My other drum sanders shut down both with just one switch , so that is what I was used to doing and sometimes neglected to turn off on the Delta : )

View Philzoel's profile

Philzoel

I got jet and tracking is fine. Maybe getting belt tighter over all would make it track better.

-- Phil Zoeller louisville, KY

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

... does the belt stretch?

Yes, Joe, they do stretch to a point , but eventually break or tear : )

View Gary Fixler's profile

Gary Fixler

1000 posts in 1977 days

Sorry to hear about the belt tracking. I always hate that. Like Howie, I have the Jet 16-32, and I have to say that just like him, it was perfect out of the box, and has been ever since. I looked at the belt initially with trepidation, as I’ve had issues with tracking belts before, but it just worked. I may have adjusted the tracking for a moment or two that first day (can’t recall now), but never again since, and I’ve run it for a year or two now. I was able to pretty quickly dial the thickness in to within a couple thousandths of an inch from left to right as well. Often if I run a full-width piece through, both sides will measure the exact same number down to 0.001” with digital calipers. I’ve been really impressed with it.

Anyway, I hope you get it sorted! It looks like a nice machine otherwise.

-- Gary, Los Angeles, video game animator