PORTER-CABLE 15-Amp 10" Table Saw PCB220 Job site saw

Review by AKMECHANIC posted 01-29-2012 03:54 PM 9032 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
PORTER-CABLE 15-Amp 10" Table Saw PCB220 Job site saw PORTER-CABLE 15-Amp 10" Table Saw PCB220 Job site saw PORTER-CABLE 15-Amp 10" Table Saw PCB220 Job site saw Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this saw at Lowes for $329 a week ago. It has great reviews on Lowes website and a few here.
I will keep this simple. I was very dissatisfied with my purchase and will be taking it back. I only used it for two days. Negatives
1. The table work surface is not flat. I posted a picture of that. The left side of the table outboard of the miter slot slopes off almost 1/8”.
2. The fence lock handle when released gets in the way of the work piece making it very difficult to set up a cut. See picture.
3. The fence head is held down by nothing but tension when locked. When pushing a piece hard against the fence it jumped off destroying my work piece. Even with the tensioner nut very tight the fence will tip or pop off if you push hard at all. I used a clamp on the handle end to finish the job.
4. The little stainless plate near the end of the table insert(throat plate) got caught on my work piece and tore off. It was glued on or stuck on with double sided tape. It seems like it is too high and would keep catching unless ground down.
5. The stand legs are terrible. They might as well have mounted this thing on roller skates because this thing slides all over my garage. It would be ok in the dirt but not on concrete floor. One leg has a rubber foot that screws in and out to level the thing but it pops out of the leg. I had to glue that in during assembly. The other leg has a hard plastic end and some stupid angle. Its like a damn ski !
6. The out-feed support was very loose and kept vibrating out so i tightened the little clamps. These little plastic clamps look like they were never made to be tightened and im sure would break with time.

Pro
The saw came with no locking nuts or washers on any of the hardware so it is very easy to take apart when you bring it back.

View AKMECHANIC's profile

AKMECHANIC

View 747DRVR's profile

747DRVR

199 posts in 2074 days

#1 posted 01-29-2012 11:34 PM

Wow,that is a brutal review.I can’t believe the fence lock handle was designed so poorly.At $330 this is not an inexpensive saw and you expect much more.Welcome to the site.

#2 posted 01-30-2012 07:46 AM

Wow, I would really like to hear their excuse for this one, let me know if they provide one

-- Norman

View Howie's profile

Howie

#3 posted 01-30-2012 10:14 AM

Get your money back and go to Depot and buy a Ridgid.
I’m really surprised at PC for putting this junk out.

-- Life is good.

View Danpaddles's profile

Danpaddles

#4 posted 02-04-2012 08:01 AM

PC ain’t what it used to be.

-- Dan V. in Indy

View B0000stwagen's profile

B0000stwagen

#5 posted 02-18-2012 06:17 PM

I have this saw. While I do have some buyers remorse, it is only about the nonstandard throat plate and 1/2” arbor. The fence lock lowers to where it can’t come into interference with the workpiece. From the picture, it looks like you may have hooked the back edge over the out feed support rather than the rail on the rear of the table. This may be preventing your fence lock from fully lowering.

-- JP

View B0000stwagen's profile

B0000stwagen

#6 posted 02-19-2012 03:14 AM

Edit: just to be clear… by 1/2” arbor, I was referring to the arbor shaft length accommodating 1/2” dado set max. The arbor shaft diameter is standard 5/8”.

-- JP

View Jim's profile

Jim

#7 posted 02-19-2012 03:26 AM

I have the Hitachi version and the miter gauge would not slide in the slot. it was bent I emailed them to no avail I straightened it and it works but not the best. I am going to save up for a Bosch

-- Jim in Cushing Oklahoma

View RussellAP's profile

RussellAP

#8 posted 02-22-2012 12:39 AM

I have the contractors ts by Ryobi, looks identical, but the fence is solid as a rock. although the plastic parts do worry me but thats a sign of the times. I know what you mean about scooting on a garage floor, but I plan to design a bench it can fit into, that is unless I get an older Craftsman TS I saw on Craigslist. I cut my teeth on a Craftsman and can do just about anything on that saw. Cast iron is always flat, plus you can design a nice router extension on the right hand side and save much time.

-- A positive attitude will take you much further than positive thinking ever will.

View WillMat's profile

WillMat

#9 posted 04-09-2012 12:48 AM

I have the same saw, but never found any of the above problems wrong with mine. It sounds to me like one that saw was returned, and then resold, or had been dropped during shipment, and had some parts missing.

On mine, all the bolts and screws had washers with them, and were inside heat sealed bags.

The table on mine is flat, and you can see they are machined flat, so the one above must have been damaged somehow.

The fence on mine does not budge when locked down. They did have the fence lock a little too tight from the factory, and a quick adjustment cured that.

At the local Lowes, the one on the floor that was in the box, sitting behind the display model, had a damaged box, especially the bottom, and had been taped up. I wouldn’t buy it, and had them to get another from their stock in the back. Counting the display, they had five on hand.

View Bradpaulp's profile

Bradpaulp

#10 posted 03-18-2014 07:54 AM

I just picked this saw up and very happy with it minus the weird insert plate. Anyone ever make a zci for this? Be very happy to see results and how you did it.