Great blades

Review by Sawdust2 posted 909 days ago 2671 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great blades Great blades Great blades Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a 3 TPI blade from M K Morse. It is a carbide tipped blade and is used in industry for cutting aluminum castings.
This review won’t let me post all the photos but I first used a bi-metal blade from a vendor I really like. I could not get it to track straight. (I set my saw up using Michael Fortune’s method so I don’t get any drift.)
I installed this blade according to Fortune’s method.
This is a 1/2” blade but I was advised to only tension it to a 3/8” blade.
I took a hunk of red oak about 5” wide and 2.5” thick and planed one side smooth.
I wanted to check how much wood would be lost in the cut.
You can see that the cut was almost perfectly straight and the photo of the two pieces of the wood show that the
saw marks are negligible. The top piece was the planed side.
If I were to plane the raw cuts I would lose less than 1/32”, maybe less than 1/64th. Truly, I could feel where the blade sliced but I could only see three or four marks in the 2’ length.

Last year I urban harvested some local wood downed due to a storm. It had been drying in my basement for a year.
So I next resawed some black walnut, maple, oak, cherry and sycamore. Like a knife through warm butter.

Some of you may remember my posts about losing the smoke in my motor a few weeks ago. Motor bogged down while resawing using the bi-metal blade. Not this time. (But the replacement motor is 5 HP, not the measly 1 HP Jet uses.)

I had a Morse blade before and used it for more than 2 years (on that 1 HP motor) until the weld gave out.

I also have a Morse bi-metal blade and will test that out soon and give a report on how that compares.

Lee

-- No piece is cut too short. It was meant for a smaller project.

View Sawdust2's profile

Sawdust2

I picked up 4 Independence III MK Morse blades on ebay. I’m going to have to shorten them for my bandsaw. They are bi-metal blades. I’ve also got some carbide tipped blades that I need to weld up.

I’ve used Laguna Resaw King blades and they are great and give a nice smooth surface. I had one that they wouldn’t sharpen because the blade had so many cracks in the blade. I’ve got another one that is fractured. So for the price I’m not very happy with their blades. The cut quality is great but the blade life sucks. For $175.00 a blade I would have expected more.

Good luck on your conversion from logs to planks.

Sawdust2; what is ” Fortune’s method”?
Thanks

View Charles Maxwell's profile

Charles Maxwell

What was the cost of your MK Morse blade?

-- Max the "night janitor" at www.hardwoodclocks.com

Sawdust2, I found the answer to my question.

View Sawdust2's profile

Sawdust2

Fortune has condensed the “How to” on the bandsaw in an easy to follow 8 page article in an old FWW, I refer to it more often than any other article. Our guild once had a seminar and the instructor actually showed how to compensate for drift by running a board partway up the blade to determine the drift then scribing a line that paralleled the board and then adjusting the fence to match that line. That was way too time consuming.
Following Fortune’s method I’ve never taken more than 3 minutes to properly align the blade and get perfectly repeatable cuts every time.

-- No piece is cut too short. It was meant for a smaller project.

View buffalosean's profile

buffalosean

174 posts in 1986 days

I’ve never used these blades. So the review was most helpful. thank you

-- There are many ways to skin a cat...... but, the butter knife is not recommended

View Brian Scott's profile

Brian Scott

I never tried using these blades. I am using a HaltBar Sagen Blade. Same thing, I am using a carbide tipped blades. I am going to try that blade to compare. Thank you for the review.

-- No one is old enough to learn new things.