Lee Valley Dripless Glue Bottle

Review by Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) posted 01-28-2012 01:56 PM 5363 views 4 times favorited 32 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Lee Valley Dripless Glue Bottle Lee Valley Dripless Glue Bottle Lee Valley Dripless Glue Bottle Click the pictures to enlarge them

Not too long ago, I did a blog which asked people what type of glue they liked best for different woodworking projects. Many people stated that they used white or tan wood glue for many of their gluing applications. I often use this type of glue too, not only for my scroll saw projects, but also for building smaller projects such as boxes and things of that nature.

One problem that I had was application. Since I used the glue on smaller projects and only in small amounts, I found that the glue bottles would frequently get clogged and I would wind up either cutting the tip off the bottle, or sticking a nail through it to keep the glue flowing. This would also sometimes cause the glue to dry out and get gummy and difficult to apply properly – especially to the small pieces which I frequently needed to glue when making delicate scroll work.

Then I came across this nifty glue bottle from Lee Valley Tools. I was not sure if it would work well, but at a cost of $4.95 I thought it was worth trying. After all, I had just discarded another bottle of gummy and half dried out glue.

The things I liked about the bottle were as follow:
-The unique shape of the bottle minimizes air contact with the glue, keeping it fresher and free flowing.
-It comes with two replaceable nozzles – one flat for dispensing ribbons and one conical for dispensing small beads of glue. This gives you great control over application.
-The nozzles are able to be trimmed, which means you can totally control the size of the bead or ribbon that is dispensed.
-Since the nozzles are removable, it is very easy to take them off the bottle and rinse them off if necessary without having to deal with messy threads of the bottle and a mess in general.
-Lee Valley also sells a replacement set of nozzles and caps for only $1.79 for two of each, plus caps.

I have had this bottle with the ribbon tip for several months now and used clear drying wood glue (similar to Titebond III) in it for my scroll sawing projects. I am very pleased that each time I go to use it, it is like using a new bottle of glue. There is no mess and no residual glue that is clogging up the tip and it keeps everything air tight and free flowing.

I recently bought another bottle for my Gorilla Wood Glue and this time I tried the conical tip. I was gluing some delicate lettering and usually I have to mess around with a toothpick and it takes me forever to do. I also wind up applying too much glue and having to take a Q-tip afterwards to wipe the excess glue that oozed out from the back.

I was so impressed at the pinpoint accuracy I got when using this dispenser:

I was able to write with it like a pen and had maximum control over the amount dispensed:

In the end, you can see there was very little excess glue that oozed out, while I was still confident that enough was applied:

This small amount of seepage didn’t even require me wiping with a q-tip, which would have been tedious and difficult due to the intricate lettering.

I purchased the extra set of tips, but I don’t know if I will ever need them. Perhaps I will cut them down a bit to allow a larger bead to flow for the larger project that I will be doing later on.

In any case, for under $10 this is the best system that I have worked with and I am thrilled with it. While it may seem to be somewhat silly to be so excited over glue application, when doing delicate work such as I do, the time and mess it saves me is a definite plus. Not to mention how fresh it keeps your glue.

I highly recommend this system to anyone who makes smaller projects such as boxes, jewelry, lettering and any other small items that require gluing. It makes those tedious chores much easier and neater and the finished project looks far more professional. The link to the product is here:

Dripless Glue Bottle

You should give it a try!

Added In Two Weeks After Original Post: I just wanted to add this in. When leaving the Gorilla Glue Wood Glue in the bottle and coming back after a week or so, I noticed that there is a very small amount of it that stays in the very tip of the pinpoint end of the bottle and needs to be cleaned out. This is easy to do because the tips of the bottles come off very easily. I just ran some warm water through it and used a straight pin and it was as good as new without distorting the pinpoint end and making the hole larger. I still think this bottle is far easier and cleaner than traditional bottles and this procedure took only a minute to do. I suppose you could have just used the pin to poke through it, bit cleaning it brought it back to pristine condition very quickly. I just wanted to let you all know so that my review is as accurate as possible. I maintain that this is the best bottle I have used. :)

-- Designer/Artist/Teacher. Owner of Sheila Landry Designs (http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com) Scroll saw, wood working and painting patterns and surfaces. "Knowledge is Power"

#1 posted 01-28-2012 02:47 PM

I bought this exact same glue bottle but under a different brand probably one year ago.
I love it.
It works wonderfully and it never dries up unlike the dispense bottle that I had before that I had to unplug each time I wanted to use it.
This is a simple, economical and wonderful tool.
I fully agree with the 5 stars.

View Roger's profile

#2 posted 01-28-2012 02:53 PM

gr8 review Sheila. with the tedious work you do, you made mention of a similar to TB III, I’d be curious to know what exactly is the glue u use? thnx… you’d make a good sales person for this product… With the lengthy amount of time in-between some o my projects, this would probably be good for me…...... I’m sold

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

#3 posted 01-28-2012 03:04 PM

Thanks Roger: Believe me – they are not compensating me at all. I just like to share when I find a great product. Lee Valley stuff can be expensive, but many times the extra money is worth it. This is certainly one of those times. While you can get empty bottles at the dollar store, they clog up and eventually you have a mess on your hands. You waste time, and glue and spend all the time cleaning up excess from your project. My time is worth more than the couple of dollars that I spent on this.

The wood glue I had was I believe LaPage white glue. I used it on the scroll work because it was important to dry clear because I ALWAYS had some seepage when gluing the small project pieces. It isn’t waterproof, but that isn’t an issue on what I was using it for. I was having trouble finding the Gorilla Glue for Wood here in Canada and it was a good alternative.

I found the Gorilla Glue last fall and I like it better because it is tackier and thicker than the LaPage white glue. It held a bit better initially because of its tackiness which was a plus and even though it says it dries “almost clear” it is still great because of the initial tack and strength – AND it is waterproof. While my projects don’t get ‘wet’, I am stuck with the mentality that waterproof is better. I suppose if I am ever flooded out and my projects are washed into the ocean, those darn letters will still be stuck! :D I suppose my next review will be on the Gorilla Glue. I will wait however until I have used it on more and can give better examples of applications for it.

Thanks again for the comment! If you do decide to try it, keep me posted after a while as to your thoughts.

Sheila

#4 posted 01-28-2012 03:27 PM

I use Titebond III, and I real happy with it.

View spunwood's profile

spunwood

#5 posted 01-28-2012 03:37 PM

Neat. Thanks for the post.

-- I came, I was conquered, I was born again. ἵνα ὦσιν ἓν

View OttawaP's profile

OttawaP

#6 posted 01-28-2012 03:56 PM

This also great for trim work. It sits right in my pouch easily and puts a line on mitered trim corners, crown edges etc. with ease.

-- Paul

View jerrells's profile

jerrells

#7 posted 01-28-2012 04:28 PM

I have a glue bottle like that and love it. Got mine a Rockler and it is called the Babe-Bot and they also have a larger one called the Glu-Bot. Works for me.

-- Just learning the craft my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ practiced.

View Don Johnson's profile

Don Johnson

#8 posted 01-28-2012 05:11 PM

Thanks, Sheila – just what I needed, and I found it as ‘Glu-Bot’ in the UK at Toolovation for £4.86 with £1.12 shipping. see: http://www.toolovation.co.uk/product_p/gb.gluebot.htm

Also at EA Supplies at £6.54, but they wanted about £9.50 for post/packing !!!!

-- Don, Somerset UK, http://www.donjohnson24.co.uk

#9 posted 01-28-2012 05:17 PM

Thanks so much for adding that in Don. There are so many people from the UK and it is good to know that this is available there for those who are interested. I appreciate your input very much, and others will too. :)

Sheila

View Roger Clark aka Rex's profile

Roger Clark aka Rex

#10 posted 01-28-2012 05:26 PM

Thanks for the review Sheila, I often wondered if those bottles were any good, now I know and will get one.

-- Roger-R, Republic of Texas. "Always look on the Bright Side of Life" - An eyeball to eyeball confrontation with a blind person is as complete waste of Time.

View Bluepine38's profile

Bluepine38

#11 posted 01-28-2012 07:59 PM

Thanks for the review, after you mentioned it the first time, I ordered the Glubot from Fasteners Inc.
They still give me an employee’s discount, and I do not know if you started something or not, but they
are now sold out of these at the main warehouse. I use Titebond II in mine, and it works great.

-- As ever, Gus-the 75 yr young apprentice carpenter

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#12 posted 01-28-2012 08:45 PM

I have a larger one just like that… got it from Rockler a few years ago…

I don’t remember getting a variety of tips… I jut have a Slit type opening…

They are good… No real problems…

Every few months they need to be cleaned out…

You will like it… You have a nice little one… just perfect for the type of work you do.

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

#13 posted 01-28-2012 10:24 PM

thank´s for the rewiew Sheila
I will remember this litttle bottle if I ever have to change the one I have now
as I recall its a 250ml bottle from the glue company (just white pva ) that I refill from bigger bottles
and have been good for the last 15 years

Dennis

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

#14 posted 01-29-2012 01:04 AM

Thanks Sheila. I hate the Titebond bottles and have been looking for a better solution.
I have a Peachtree free-bee from last year that is pretty good, but this looks really good!

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View DLCW's profile

DLCW

#15 posted 01-29-2012 06:41 AM

Originally this was called the Gluebot. I’ve been using the Gluebot for about 7 years now. I love it!

The only problem is the glue tips do tend to get clogged up and dry out making it necessary to replace the tip. Also the gasket on the top needs to be replaced regularly as you will loose the seal.

Wonderful invention and would HIGHLY recommend it.

-- Don, Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks - http://www.dlwoodworks.com - "If you make something idiot proof, all they do is make a better idiot"