Inexpensive over the shoulder shop Apron

Review by TechRedneck posted 01-27-2012 10:58 PM 4889 views 2 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Inexpensive over the shoulder shop Apron Inexpensive over the shoulder shop Apron Inexpensive over the shoulder shop Apron Click the pictures to enlarge them

When I am in the shop, I want to have my essential small tools handy. Pencil, small square, DC Remote, Marker, Marking Gauge, tape measure, Center rule and whatever.

I started with a cheap cotton apron that came over the neck and tied in the back. When I added tools it became a little heavy and dug into the back of my neck. I wanted an apron that came over the shoulders and was easy to put on and take off. This seems to fit my needs with a few exceptions.

Likes: 1. Heavy cotton with plenty of pockets (more than needed) 2. Fairly well made and sturdy. 3. Easy to put on once you get the trick of sliding your arm between the back strap and shoulder. 4. About $18 on amazon.

Dislikes: 1. The lower pockets fill up with wood chips 2. Could use a few more narrow pockets for gauges and markers.

I gave it 4 stars because the pockets seem to catch a lot of chips, however it’s easy to scoop them out just be careful not to toss away a small tool or some screws. I may add some Velcro to close some of the pockets, however this is typical of any apron I have used.

For the price you can’t beat this apron and it will become like a well worn friend in the shop. It keeps the stuff you need right at your fingertips and is very comfortable to wear. I often forget I have it on and sometimes walk upstairs without taking it off.

-- Mike.... West Virginia. "Man is a tool using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all.". T Carlyle

View TechRedneck's profile

Well-written review, thanks.

View REL's profile

REL

#2 posted 01-28-2012 05:42 AM

I own one and it is a very good apron except for the saw dust/chips getting into the pockets.

The best apron on the market for the saw dust problem is Lee Valleys side pocket apron. It is a bit long for me.

-- REL, North Jersey

View zindel's profile

zindel

#3 posted 01-28-2012 04:50 PM

Nice review, i may have an idea to try to keep the dust out…get some Velcro and then close it, still makes it easy to get to your stuff but will keep at least most of the dust out…just an idea. Thanks for the review!

-- If you can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

View jeknow's profile

jeknow

#4 posted 01-28-2012 09:43 PM

I just bought the same vest. After trying several small tool pouchs because most shop vest don’t have enough seperate pockets, I finally found this vest. So far it’s working great. My only wish about it is that it would have a stiffer strap for holding a tape measure the ones on it work but are a soft cotton strap so you have to hold it taught with your oppossing hand to slip the tape on it. But if you need a vest to carry alot of tools this is it.

View bluekingfisher's profile

bluekingfisher

#5 posted 01-30-2012 11:09 AM

I have the same apron, had it about 6 years and going strong. I would agree with te pockets filling with sawdust though, very annoying. I keep wondering if I have thrown some small odds and ends when I empty the pockets!

I bought a couple of spares thinking they would have a short working life, not at all. They are great value for the money.

-- No one plans to fail, they just, just fail to plan

View Roco54's profile

Roco54

#6 posted 02-03-2012 09:18 PM

Thank you for the review.
I use the old jean coveralls in the shop, they are confortable, and the pants are not falling anymore…
I am concerned if these products get cot in a rotating machine, creating a major safety problem.

-- Life is what we make of it