|Review by Luke||posted 01-26-2012 02:06 AM||4455 views||1 time favorited||11 comments|
I bought this saw on craigslist from a guy for $650. It was in really rough shape. Things were taken apart and it was covered in some sort of overspray from what seemed like flocking material. I had to scrub it all down with goof off and then buff it with auto compound. Luckily the factory decal covers were all still on the aluminum plates so those peeled off easily and it looked almost perfect underneath except for some scratches on the front plate.
The motor cover was missing the attachment hardware all together so I got some hinges and painted everything black then mounted those with weather stripping in between and rare earth magnets as a catch to hold it shut (awesome idea my brother sam gave me). The top, fence, rails and almost any metal exposed was covered in small amounts of rust so I cleaned all that up. I made a custom dust extraction port to fit the opening out of some .040 aluminum sheeting. It took a while to get the cuts all right to make it a one piece with just a few folds to create the flanges and the bend backs so the dust doesn’t just sit in there against the sides. This type of dust port is impossible to find online! I searched everywhere and couldn’t come up with anything so I figured why not just make one. The bottom of it is actually bent uphill so that the dust is more likely to go into the chute than just collect at the bottom.
One of the fences ( the one on the blade side in the pics) was trashed so I had some 1/2” MDO that I used to make a new one and laminate with formica and covered the edge with black melamine. This gave it the same look as the factory but a little different construction. It is dead flat too so no problems there. The Biesmeyer logo was missing on the fence top so I cut a new one from black vinyl at our sign shop, guessing as close as I could to the size.
The power cord was missing so I got some new cord and a plug and took the magnet box apart on the back and rewired it so now it’s got an 8’ reach. I put a zero clearance insert in and my MJ splitter steelpro behind. The blade was perfectly aligned with the miters already so that was wonderful. I used a gauge to line up the fence to the miters with a 2 thousands angle away from the blade in the back for less chance of kickback. The saw cuts very well on anything you push through it no matter the thickness or species. In fact I don’t even notice a slow down at all. Of course, my blade was just resharpened so that helps.
The extension table was destroyed, full of holes in the laminate, not aligned whatsoever and a little warped. It had zero support underneath so I just rebuilt it. It now is a new 3/4MDF with white formica top and an aluminum angle frame I made to fit it custom that bolts perfectly to the rails front and back. The legs I also made from 1” .125” wall aluminum square tubing that I happened to have around the shop. The only problem with them was they were about 2 inches too short. So I cut some hardwood pieces to fit inside the stock and give it the extra length I needed to bring them level to the top. I used standard leg levelers with steel bottoms from home depot in the end of the wood for dialing in the level. I painted the entire assembly black once I had it all right.
I’ve got three problems with the overall experience, only one of which is serious. The serious one is that the power switch is on the right side of the blade. If I need to shut down for any reason it takes some acrobatics, meanwhile the blade is screaming away…. Not good. If anyone has a suggestion how to fix this problem please tell. I could just mount the switch to the rail on the other side because there is plenty of cord, but it would kinda be rigged so I’m hesitant. Problem two, and not very serious, is this sucker weighs a LOT. Problem three is the length of the Biesmeyer fence. I really don’t need all that length. I would love to have a 36” instead because I’ll just never use it. The table space is fine but I will probably cut something that long once, ever. So if anyone has a 36 and want’s this one let me know.
It has plenty of power, it now looks nice, it is easy to clean out if dust does collect inside and the cuts always come out perfect so I absolutely love it. I just dread when I have to move…
Thanks for looking.
-- LAS, http://www.abettersign.com