Power Carver

Review by Raymond posted 01-25-2012 03:31 AM 2381 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Power Carver Power Carver Power Carver Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was looking for a power carver the other day and much to my suprise they are rather expensive. I got to thinking about what tool could I adapt. I went to Menards and was looking around at different tools and came accorss the Tool Shop Engraver, variable strokes per minute from 4200 to 7200, for 9.99 how could I go wrong. I got it home and discovered the carbide cutter is held in with a set screw. I removed the cutter and began thinking what could I use for a chisels. I had purched from Fleet Farm awhile back a set of inexpensive small carving tools. I proceeded to remove the chisel from the wooden handle and to my suprise they had a 1/8 shank, a little grinding to remove a little material and a few passes over a sharpening stone, and into the engraver the chisel went, I tighented down the set screw and gave it a try. To my suprise and amazement it works great, i can dial the correct speed according to the material I am carving and the tool fits my hand well and is easy to control. I am on the hunt for better quality chisels. But till then this will do for now. Total cost about 15.00

-- Ray

View Raymond's profile

Raymond

View Moron's profile

Moron

#1 posted 01-25-2012 05:43 AM

good deal

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

View dustprocrastinator's profile

StumpyNubs

#3 posted 02-18-2012 08:11 PM

Great idea!

Jim; aka “Stumpy Nubs”
The best woodworking show since wood was invented!

View Revias's profile

Revias

#4 posted 03-21-2012 07:26 AM

Hi, Ray, I’m looking for the website or the contact details of TOOLSHOP, it would be very kind of you if you could help me out.

View Revias's profile

Revias

#5 posted 03-21-2012 07:26 AM

All contact details will do. thanks