Dewalt Delivers

Review by Hermando posted 01-24-2012 10:28 PM 9256 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dewalt Delivers No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Greetings, I wanted to share a review of the Dewalt DW745 portable table saw. I bought this table saw a few months ago to do a hardwood floor install and have been quite impressed with its accuracy and power. I have owned several portable table saw which have been used Makitas. The Makitas are great for power and durability, but just didn’t have what I wanted in safety features and precision. I was looking for something that would allow me to do better quality wood working without the frustration of set up and handling when I am building projects or home improvements.

Many of the forums here have always suggested stationary table saws and I agree since I recently bought an older Emerson built Craftsman contractor saw. There is no denying its like night and day. But I still have no reservations on using this Dewalt workhorse for its just a fun tool to use. I know there are many wood workers out there who only have room for a portable or need it for its versatility on the projects/jobs they do.

Now this is not a perfect saw, but it sure comes close with much more positives than aggravating negatives.

Pros: Powerful 15 amp motor, small foot print with 16” rip capacity. Fence is on a track system and remains straight, locks tight and adjusts easily. Light weight, but stable, roll cage, smart guard system with riving knife and anti-kick back pawls (all easily removed if necessary). Standard size miter channels, blade is easily adjustable to miter slots. Decent dust collection when using a shop vac. Dewalt warranty is 90 return and 3 yrs service. Factory settings are near true (Mine is less than 1/32 off at blade to miter slot, although it could be the less than accurate combo square I am using)

Neg: Miter gauge is made of plastic (it serves its purpose), Loud, but no more than a circular saw, Dado blades cannot be used (I like to use a router for dados). Stand is not included but can be obtained at an extra cost. Coating on table surface easily scratches.

I did alot of research before I bought this table saw. It is not the top of the line portable which cost in the neighborhood of $500-$600. Where its hard to justify spending when stationary table saws can be a better investment. For those of us who have the need for a quality tool that will give back in reliability, precision and quality then this is the saw I would recommend. Not to mention HD & Lowes both do price matching and HF 20% coupons. Cheers H.

View Dlow's profile

Dlow

#1 posted 01-24-2012 11:20 PM

Good review. I have used this saw in the past and think it’s probably the best portable saw out there but I have to wait for the trusty old Craftsmen to die before I can buy it. Are you saying that HD & Lowes accept Harbor Freight coupons? I did not know that!

#2 posted 01-24-2012 11:29 PM

Yes in most cases both big box stores will accept a competitors coupon. (Harbor Freight). There are those rare occasions when a sales clerk is not aware or the manager hums and hahs, but be persistent. In the case of price match this Dewalt I actually got for $220 from a grand opening sale on the saw from Merdocks.. The hesitated knowing it was $150 off the regular price, but HD had to honor the sale price.

View brtech's profile

brtech

#3 posted 01-25-2012 05:19 PM

1/32 is way too much for miter to blade or fence accuracy. It should be measured in thousandths. A great investment is a HF $10 dial indicator. While a purchased AlignIt bar is great to hold the DTI in the miter slot, you can DIY something easily, because there isn’t anything critical other than holding the DTI rigid and no slop in the miter. You can use that to measure miter to blade and miter to fence alignment accurately. There is also a 2 pin thingie you can fabricate that will let you measure the blade (or fence) squareness to the table. Look at garageworks’ site for that idea. If you add the mag base from HF, you can measure runout. Same tools will work with your Craftsman TS.

Another way to do that is to get a decent ($20) metal caliper and the DRO miter slot holder for it. The caliper is a mighty useful tool in the shop, and the DRO base allows you to use it for measuring fence and blade alignment. You need the type of caliper that sends a thin part out the bottom of the base as you slide the head. It’s used for depth measurement, and, in this case, for alignment measurement. The really cheap composite calipers don’t have that feature.

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

#4 posted 01-25-2012 05:34 PM

I use a similar Rigid bench top saw… and I am happy with it. But, it will not hold a dado blade. The arbor shaft is too short. How about the Dewalt… think you can you do a dado blade on it? I don’t have the space for anything but these bench top tools… so I am gaining experience with them.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

#5 posted 01-25-2012 06:02 PM

Brtech, you are right that 1/32 is way to much and it was my mistake as I was trying to go off memory when I wrote this review as to any misalignment. I do need to get me a dial indicator so that I can adjust the blade to miter slot. After rechecking using my combination square the factory setting was a 25# sliver pf paper off and the fence was dead on.. So I figure not to bad coming out of the box. What is nice about the DW745 is that it allows the user to adjust the blade to the miters, where as some of the cheaper portables are not.

This particular mode DW745 does not accept dado blades as the arbor is to short, I think Dewalt designed this saw this way so it would not compete with its larger brother the DW744. There is a great review from Popular Mechanics that compares the Dewalt DW745 vs Bosch GTS1031 (Bosch new compact saw)

View lumberjockey's profile

lumberjockey

#6 posted 02-01-2012 09:53 PM

This review just helped me decide between the Ridgid or the Dewalt. I am going with the Dewalt. Good review.

-- Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country.

#7 posted 02-02-2012 05:59 PM

LJ, I think you will be pleased with this little work horse of a saw. I looked at the ridgid portables. There is the 4510 on a mobile cart, has some great reviews and competes with the Bosch 4100. The dewalt competes with the smaller TS that are lightweight, very durable and accurate. If you looked at the Ridgid R45161 then it has the metal roll cage and does 24” rip as well as wheels built in. I think its in line with the Craftsman version which has the 50/50 reviews. Amazon is a great place to check reviews and I would say 90% of reviews for the Dewalt are 5 stars. It does have its short comings but over all it is a great tool for what it is designed for and more.