Fine Woodworking "Building Furniture" Winter/Spring 2012

Review by Zulu55 posted 917 days ago 2323 views 0 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Fine Woodworking "Building Furniture" Winter/Spring 2012 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hey guys,

I am brand new here so I am not sure if I posted this in the right spot but I figured because there was an ability to review a magazine that this may suffice.

I don’t have much to say about it except that I just picked it up off a store shelf today and it is absolutely fantastic! It goes over how to make many different styles of bookcases, tables, chairs, cabinets, chests, bureaus, beds and sideboards. It assist with creating your own design by providing assistance with traditional ratio dimensions (ie: if a table is ” wide, it will usually be ” long) it also provides help with how to deal with wood movement, etc.

As a novice, I found it very useful. It seems to be a collection of good furniture related articles/advice that have been collected from previous FWW magazines but all in one spot! I am not saying FWW or Taunton is better than anything else I just mean that I found this one magazine very useful for me and thought maybe it would be useful to some other LJ’s.

Cheers,

Adam

-- Adam - Langley, British Columbia (Canada)

View Zulu55's profile

Zulu55

View doordude's profile

doordude

nice review

View Roger's profile

Fine Woodworking is a gr8 place for you to start. I would recommend Woodsmith also. Woodsmith magazine is a mag with no adds, yep, no adds. Just 100% how-to’s, projects, jigs, etc. good luck. this is a very fun hobby. be sure to cover, and follow all the safety factors that you possibly can. I just received this in my mailbox today.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View skeeter's profile

skeeter

233 posts in 1943 days

this is a reissue. the original from 07 got me into this stuff to begin with. there is alot of info stuffed into that particular issue.

-- My philosophy: Somewhere between Norm and Roy

View T. D. Reid's profile

T. D. Reid

You will all be surprised or maybe not, to know that this is a reprint. I wasn’t surprised to see it on the news stand this week because it is a very good reference to woodworkers of any level. I keep it on my book shelf and refer to it all the time.
Nice review.

-- Head to the shop its calling you – Todd

View pelting's profile

pelting

I’m a fellow novice and appreciate the review. I picked this up yesterday and it’s a great reference.

112000 posts in 2179 days

View Jorge G.'s profile

Jorge G.

On the other hand, they suffer from dovetailitis…..For example, the sideboard they showcased. Why make all those dovetails when a few box joints would have sufficed, specially if they dovetails are going to be covered by the top?

I saw a lot of projects with dovetails that could have been done a bit easier. In any case, it is a good issue for beginners.

-- To surrender a dream leaves life as it is — and not as it could be.

Ranger97ab

Hi guy’s, I am new here & I was just reading this review because I am looking for a good Wood Magazine to subscribe too. Is there any other magazines that are really good that are worth looking at ?

Thanks, Randy Z

View skeeter's profile

skeeter

233 posts in 1943 days

Randy, Popular Woodworking and Fine Woodworking. I don’t see much need for any else. They are the best.

-- My philosophy: Somewhere between Norm and Roy

Ranger97ab

Ya I have been looking at their websites & they are really great, alot of free plans & info on tools & everything inbetween. I am waiting for the magazines to get here, I am getting their free first issue deal from both. Should be good

Grandpa

I would watch my back with Asa Christina (editor of FWW). He steals things off the internet when you write them and then he prints mistakes like the dust collection reviews a couple of issues back. I will never write anything where he can get to it again and when this subscription runs out he will not get another dollar from me.

Ranger97ab

Good to know, thanks for the warning. I’ll be writing cancel on the bill when my free mag gets here.

Grandpa

They have a web site that they invite people to answer questions on. I put an answer on there and got a big atta boy and a pat on the back from the site manager. The next issue of FWW my response was published with another name on it and some guy got $100 for my answer. That was my first warning. the next while passed and I answered a question. Then MR. Asa jump in the middle of all this and I was referred to as the guy up there. Never used a name. You are required to use your name over there. That was at the same time he should have been handling his business on dust collection. He has a retired engineer and a full staff with tons of money then he makes mistakes on his dust collection issue. He got a BIG rebuttal from some of the dust collection folks and he has be a little quieter since. I just have no need for him anymore. I bought the magazine because I needed a change and my grandson was selling them for the local band. I will buy something else from now on.
One of the other guys on here also had a similar experience with a magazine taking things and publishing them without his permission. KnotScott perhaps?? I can’t remember who it was.

Ranger97ab

I guess you can’t trust any of them, they are all out for a buck. I just look at the plans in them, I don’t read much of their ramblings. Well thanks for the warning Grandpa, I am just a disabled guy who tries to build things. Hopefully I’ll be able to sell some this spring at the farmers market.

Grandpa

Good luck this spring. Do you have a good group of buyers at the Farmer’s Markets? Good folks come there anyway.