Steel City 6" Riser for bandsaw

Review by GaryK posted 2357 days ago 5556 views 1 time favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Steel City 6" Riser for bandsaw Steel City 6" Riser for bandsaw Steel City 6" Riser for bandsaw Click the pictures to enlarge them

Here is the 6” riser kit parts for the bandsaw. The installation is fairly simple.
This is a “must have” addition if you plan on doing any resawing.

It gives you an additional 6” height for resawing extra wide boards. It works great!

It increases the length of blade needed from 93 1/2” to 105”. The same as a Delta Bandsaw.

First remove one big bolt with w 30mm socket wrench. and set the top half aside.

Then install the riser block and the two dowel pins.

Now don’t forget to install the longer rack while it’s apart. If you didn’t you would have to remove the table to get it in.

Then just put it back together again and tighten the bolt.

You have to drill two small holes in the upper door to attach a small guard witch you can see in the last picture.

And here it is completed.

View Dominic Vanacora's profile

Dominic Vanacora

Your presentation make’s it look easy. Thanks for taking the time to show how its done.

-- Dominic, Trinity, Florida...Lets be safe out there.

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

GREAT post. You’ve got me thinking about a riser for my bandsaw.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

well that looked simple!!

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

View TomFran's profile

TomFran

Yep, I need to get that 6” riser for my bandsaw. I new I should have got it when I ordered my new saw. Thanks for the post, Garyl

-- Tom, Surfside Beach, SC - Romans 8:28

GaryK

Tom – Don’t forget longer blades.

View Greg3G's profile

Greg3G

Sweet!...Now you have added this to my tool wish list. How do you like the finish on the granite table? It looks solid enough to take the normal abuse from regular shop use. Looks like a great machine.

-- Greg - Charles Town, WV

View grovemadman's profile

grovemadman

Wow, that looks really nice, what is the challenge and how do you get involved?

-- --Chuck

View CutNRun's profile

CutNRun

Gary, I enjoyed your review and the details provided so far. I look forward to your assessment of the operation as well.

I have a couple of questions for you:
1. Do you see any real advantage with the granite table?
2. How much was the riser kit? The Steel City web site doesn’t list a price.

-- CutNRun - So much wood, so many trails, so little time

GaryK

CutNRun – First of all I got the Riser from ToolKing an advertiser on Lumberjocks for $69. Which is a lot better than the $95 price I have seen other places.

Real advantages of the granite top. It won’t rust. It won’t warp. The bottom surface is flat allowing you to
use any type of clamps. Try putting a clamp on a cast iron top with all the webs and ribs under it and you will know what I mean. You can also use it for anything that requires a dead flat surface. That’s all that I can think of for now.

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

wow that is good. it looks easy. thanks for showing us how to do it. very detailed too.

View CutNRun's profile

CutNRun

Thanks for the feedback. I expected the comments about not rusting and dead flat, but hadn’t thought about the bottom surface. I absolutely know what you mean, having “been there and done that” before with other equipment.

-- CutNRun - So much wood, so many trails, so little time

View Chris 's profile

Chris

Thanks Gary!

View woodup's profile

woodup

Great Details! Thanks for sharing!

-- Michael, Fort Worth, TX. "I wood if I could!"

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

Gary, what is the HP rating of the Steel City saw. I have a Jet with a 3/4 HP motor and have heard that it can bog down when resawing at max capacity. Have you had any power problems with your saw after installing this riser?

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19378 posts in 2475 days

Gary, I have had a similar riser kit on my bandsaw for a couple of years. I works fine, the only thing I found was you need good quality low TPI blades to cut the thicker pieces. I notice you have your on/off switches nice & high, thats a problem I had to overcome by modifying my bandsaw.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python