Another Oldie ... Technical Info on Mitres

Review by MsDebbieP posted 01-19-2012 12:54 PM 1661 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
Another Oldie ... Technical Info on Mitres No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This review is from the January 2012 issue of our LJ eMag.

Toolemera.com is donating another book for a free draw! (See below for details)
The Art of Mitering

“The Art of Mitering” is written by Owen Maginnis in 1892.

I think the introduction by Gary Robers says it all:

• ”While major texts on architecture, carpentry, joinery and cabinet-making had offered some instructions to the artisan in laying out and forming of the mitre joint, none had offered an explanation in a manner both readily understood and usable in daily work.
    Owen [... writes] of his practical expertise in the finer points of creating the mitre joint. Clearly stated, thoroughly explained and illustrated by over 40 engravings.”

I don’t call myself a woodworker and have never done anything more than basic joinery for a couple of boxes that I’ve made so this book isn’t of much benefit for me other than the thrill of having something that was written by the master craftsmen of days gone by.

However, I can see that this would be of huge interest for anyone developing their mitring skills. The one engraving, for example, shows the joining of two circles. The technical information is too much for me, but I can appreciate the beauty and skill indicated in the drawings.

Because of the technical descriptions that make my head spin and the lack of brightly coloured photographs that my brain seems to prefer, I am giving this book a four. But if you are really interested in learning about mitres and have a knack for the scientific look at the components then I would say that this book would be a “5”.

WIN A FREE BOOK

One random draw winner will receive a copy of the book.
To enter your name in the draw, click here and answer the two easy questions.
Deadline: February 10, 2012

Another big thank-you to Gary Roberts for his donation of books for free draws here at LumberJocks.com.

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

1 comment so far

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

#1 posted 01-19-2012 05:11 PM

thankĀ“s for the rewiew MsDeppie :-)
as allways well done