Great scraper burnisher

Review by Tennwood posted 954 days ago 3560 views 3 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great scraper burnisher No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I had a Woodcraft coupon about to expire and no other great needs at the time, so I bought the Veritas Variable Burnisher on a whim. (Actually what I went in for they didn’t have in stock that day). I normally sharpen my scrapers using a wet stone and round burnisher getting ok results. I can always get shavings, but not like they should be. Retail cost of the Veritas is $32.50, but with my coupon, I figured I couldn’t loose too much. It turned out to be a great deal.

The instructions are simple and straight forward. Ten minutes from opening the box, reading the instructions and putting an edge on the scraper, I was making great shavings. Now it should take less than a minute to set it up and put the edge on. It was easy to use and took one tenth the effort I usually put in using the wet stones and round burnisher. The burnisher also allows you to vary the angle of the hook on the scraper from 0 to 15 degrees, taking the guess work out of it. The hook(s) can be made on any and all of the edges. It should work with most round edge scraper too. Also included is a 2-1/2 inch by 6 inch scraper.

-- Jim, SE Tennessee, "Don't spare the kindling Dear, we have plenty"

View Tennwood's profile

Tennwood

Thanks for posting this . I didn’t know that it existed until now : )

View Jimi_C's profile

Jimi_C

I almost pulled the trigger on this, but it felt like cheating. It was also hard to find any reviews online that said whether or not it worked well. Thanks for the review.

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

Awesome; I just ordered one of these yesterday; good to know that it was worth the money!

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

112018 posts in 2211 days

Good review thanks for sharing.

View Brandon's profile

Brandon

I’ll have to look into one of these! I don’t mind cheating. How does it work? Magic? Great review, by the way.

-- "hold fast to that which is good"

View live4ever's profile

live4ever

Sharpening plane irons? Check. Chisels? Check. But when it comes to scrapers, I just can’t do it well for some reason. After watching every video out there on scraper sharpening, I had all but given up, but maybe this little guy is the ticket. And Lee Valley/Veritas takes more of my money…

Thanks for posting!

-- Optimists are usually disappointed. Pessimists are either right or pleasantly surprised. I tend to be a disappointed pessimist.

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

2566 posts in 2067 days

I bought one at the Woodworking Show… I am waiting for it to arrive.
Thanks for the review. I feel better about spending all that $$ now!

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View bluejazz's profile

bluejazz

+1 on the review. I heard a lot of bad reviews of this item, but bought it anyway. I’m not sure I can tell a big difference when I change the angle, but it does seem to do a fine job of placing the hook.

-- I'm 56. In my mind, I still feel 26. Until I do something physical; then I feel 76.

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

I’ve been thinking of getting one of these… Thanks for posting!

-Jim; aka “Stumpy Nubs”
(The greatest woodworking show since the invention of wood- check it out!)

View gko's profile

gko

Great review. One question – you have to start with a flat square edge that’s normally done with a file and then a stone(s). Does it do that step for you or do you still have to go through that? After squaring I can burnish it for a while but eventually it needs to be squared again. Still looking to getting it because sometimes I get a nice burr and sometimes not. Would be nice to get a consistent burr.

-- Wood Menehune, Honolulu

View Jonathan's profile

Jonathan

Thanks for this informative review. Seems to take the inconsistencies and guesswork out of burnishing the scraper edge at various angles.

-- Jonathan, Denver, CO "Constructive criticism is welcome and valued as it gives me new perspectives and helps me to advance as a woodworker."

View Tennwood's profile

Tennwood

GKO

The instructions say to reset the burnisher to 0, take a couple of passes and then set the hook angle and burnish. It also says that when the edge gets worn to file the edge smooth and square. The easiest way I have found to do this is using a wet stone, but I would think a sharpening stone would also work. I know with all scrapers, they have to be filed down occasionally to get to new metal and then squared and burnished.
Hope this helps.

-- Jim, SE Tennessee, "Don't spare the kindling Dear, we have plenty"