It works, and the price is right

Review by Vrtigo1 posted 01-18-2012 05:29 AM 2295 views 0 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
It works, and the price is right No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Not a whole lot to say about these remote switches. I base my opinion on the functionality and the price, and this one does well in both areas. It’s pretty simple – you plug the base unit into the wall and plug your DC into the base unit, then when you want to turn the DC on or off you press the button on the remote control. Took about 20 seconds to install it, and it worked right away, no settings to mess around with or anything like that.

Very handy when you have a smaller work area like mine that frequently gets cluttered with stuff that you have to navigate around to get at the DC’s switch. Just clip the remote to your pants or shop apron and any time you need the DC, just press the button. It only saves you 10 seconds at a time, but those 10 seconds add up.

The range is pretty good. The furthest I’ve tried it is about 40 feet, but at that distance it was going through a few walls and still worked every time.

The only complaint I have, which can’t even really be called a complaint, more like an observation – is that if you buy this and then decide to step up to a bigger DC (i.e. a 220v model), then you would have to buy a new switch.

View Vrtigo1's profile

Vrtigo1

#1 posted 01-18-2012 06:09 AM

thanks for the review.

View harvey4804's profile

harvey4804

#2 posted 01-18-2012 07:45 AM

What is the HP rating on your DC? Just wondering if it’ll work with my “2hp” HF DC.

-- Ryan, FRMR HMM165 - HMX1 01-10

View Lenny's profile

Lenny

#3 posted 01-18-2012 11:27 AM

I’ve had one for quite some time now and wouldn’t be without it. My only issue is that I stopped clipping the remote to my belt loop because I would involuntarily turn on the DC by bumping my thigh against a machine. It just dawned on me to try clipping it to a side loop (DUH!). I too got frustrated setting a board just so on a tool, only to have to move it, get around it and walk to the DC to turn it on. To jump in on harvey’s question, it’s my understanding that the 110v model will NOT operate a 2hp motor.

-- On the eighth day God was back in His woodworking shop! Lenny, East Providence, RI

15304 posts in 1934 days

#4 posted 01-18-2012 11:30 AM

Nice review, I have been kicking this around for a while might have to get one. Thx.

View Viking's profile

Viking

857 posts in 1941 days

#5 posted 01-18-2012 11:33 AM

Harvey;

The Long Ranger III works with the HF dust collector. Have had mine for a few weeks and range of the remote is at least 50 ft.

-- Rick Gustafson - Lost Creek Ranch - Colorado County, Texas

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

#6 posted 01-18-2012 11:37 AM

Good review.

I too have had one of these for a few years. It still works great. I have never changed the battery. It has been used a lot and experienced extremes of temperature in my shop.

-- “While the world with closed eyes sleeps, The sky knows and weeps - steel rain. ” ― Nathan Bell

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

#7 posted 01-18-2012 04:22 PM

Thanks for posting!

-Jim; aka “Stumpy Nubs”
(The greatest woodworking show since the invention of wood is now online!)

View mmax's profile

mmax

#8 posted 01-18-2012 05:19 PM

I use a 1 1/2 hp Delta with mine, however I notice the line cord from the DC to the switch gets extremly hot after using for 1/2 hour with on and off cycles. Other than that it performs as advertised.

-- Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else

View REL's profile

REL

#9 posted 01-18-2012 10:22 PM

I too have a 1 1/2 hp Delta collecter. I have burned out one Rocker remote already (female plug side melts) and am in the process of burning out a second one.

Is there a better rated remote on the market for 110 volt?

-- REL, North Jersey

View Tennwood's profile

Tennwood

103 posts in 1927 days

#10 posted 01-18-2012 11:56 PM

I have had one for over two years on my 1-1/2 hp Penn State DC. It has worked flawlessly and a real time/step saver. I wouldn’t go without one and my shop isn’t that big. I haven’t noticed the cord getting hot, but it is tucked in the corner of the shop so I can’t say I have checked it either. Something I will have to monitor now.

-- Jim, SE Tennessee, "Don't spare the kindling Dear, we have plenty"

View DIYaholic's profile

DIYaholic

#11 posted 01-19-2012 12:17 AM

When accessing any remote; compare the maximum rated amperage and voltage of the remote to the max/start amperage (and voltage) of your dust collector!!!

-- Randy-- I may not be good...but I am slow! If good things come to those who wait.... Why is procrastination a bad thing?

View Brandon's profile

Brandon

#12 posted 01-19-2012 12:20 AM

Will this thing start any power tool? I personally like to start up my table saw I get into the shop—-it’s kind of like having a fresh pot of coffee all ready for you when you wake up. :-)

-- "hold fast to that which is good"

View Douglas's profile

Douglas

#13 posted 01-19-2012 01:11 AM

harvey4804 – I’ve had this working with my HF 2HP fine for over a year.

-- Douglas in Chicago - http://dcwwoodworks.com

View REL's profile

REL

#14 posted 01-19-2012 03:14 AM

They rate the Rockler/Woodcraft (same unit- different label) remote control for use up to a 1 1/2 hp dust collector. They do not list amps. The two I have used from Rockler were/are under “powered” for my Delta 1 1/2 collector motor. The metal female half of the 110 volt plug in the unit melts!

Is the Penn State unit better with a higher amp rating? Anyone have some incite?

-- REL, North Jersey

View lew's profile

lew

#15 posted 01-19-2012 03:51 AM

I have one and so far it has worked flawlessly!

Lew

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.