Ryobi AP1300 Planner and Masterforce Planer Blades

Review by Raymond posted 01-15-2012 05:38 AM 5814 views 2 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ryobi AP1300 Planner and Masterforce Planer Blades Ryobi AP1300 Planner and Masterforce Planer Blades No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I needed new planer blades for my Ryobi AP 1300 planer. Problem is Home Depot does not cary this planer any longer, the only source is Ryobi directly (expensive) or Home Depot online (back ordered with no estimated delivery date. Or order them from online vendor. I was in Menards looking at tools, and looked at there planer blades, to my suprise I see a 13” set of blades for a Masterforce 3 blade planer. I went home and got my Ryobi blade and to my suprise they are an exact replacement. I purchased a set 29.99 $ for 3 blades and went home. I measured the thickness of the Ryobi Blade and the Masterforce, exactly the same thickness, same width and same length, The Ryobi planer has indexing slots on the blade, and so does the Masterforce, they are in the exact same spot and same size. These blades are an exact match. So for 29.99 I have a new set of blades with a spare blade.

I installed them on the planer and it works like brand new. If you have the Ryobi AP1300 and need blades I would recomend these as an alternative.

View jerryo's profile

jerryo

#1 posted 01-15-2012 06:14 AM

Thanks for the review Raymond. I had the same problem when I went to Home Depot, now thanks to you I know what to do. Jerry

View David Craig's profile

David Craig

#2 posted 01-15-2012 09:05 AM

Home Depot sells Ridgid blades that will work for this planer.

-- There is little that is simple when it comes to making a simple box.

#3 posted 01-15-2012 03:54 PM

I looked at the ridgid. they had a notch in the end of the blade and didnt look like they matched.

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

#4 posted 01-15-2012 04:17 PM

Thanks for the review. Let us know how long the keep a good edge!

-Jim; aka “Stumpy Nubs”
(The greatest woodworking show mankind has ever known is now online!)

View Howie's profile

Howie

#5 posted 01-15-2012 04:26 PM

Sounds like a bargain. For your planer if you buy two sets, the third one(extra blades) are free. Wonder if they will work on a DeWalt 735? One set cost more than two of yours.
I’m stuck with Lowes and HD here. I like Menards and used to drive 50 miles just to go to one.

-- Life is good.

View Jimi_C's profile

Jimi_C

#6 posted 01-15-2012 05:00 PM

It looks like the notched ends are for the AP1301, which is the one I have. A quick google shows there are other options for both planers (this is just one result, no idea if the company is trust-worthy):

Amazon has a lot of options too, but it seems like you can get a pair of blades for ~$18, so getting 3 in the above package for about $30 is on par with that. It seems like all of the 1301’s cost ~$30 for just two blades :/

#7 posted 01-15-2012 08:54 PM

Might be a good idea to go buy another 2 or 3 sets while they are available.

#8 posted 01-16-2012 04:11 AM

Hi Bert, I already did I picked up two more sets. I have been planning oak today and the boards come out smooth as glass. I measured the thickness on the left and right side of the board i was shooting for 1/2 inch thick, the right side was .503 and left side was .502 good enough for me. I will keep you posted Stumpy.

View skeeter's profile

skeeter

233 posts in 1999 days

#9 posted 01-16-2012 05:59 PM

RAY,
you can fix that out of parallelism by holding one of the screws with a wrench and turning the crank. it takes a few trys but its not hard to get it perfect. I also have the ap 1300.

-- My philosophy: Somewhere between Norm and Roy

View Jimi_C's profile

Jimi_C

#10 posted 01-16-2012 06:07 PM

Fix 1/1000th of an inch error, why bother? You’ve got to plane/scrape/sand the piece afterwards anyway, which will affect the dimension more than that. I’d be extremely happy if my machines were that accurate :)

#11 posted 01-17-2012 05:01 AM

Thanks for the tip. I’m good with how it planes.

View MNJackofAllTrades's profile

MNJackofAllTrades

#12 posted 02-23-2012 03:20 PM

Both planers are made by the same manufacturer, that is why they use the same blade.

View GrumpyBear's profile

GrumpyBear

#13 posted 05-27-2014 10:17 PM

Hi Raymond
I realize that this review is ancient but if you still in need for that than on EBAY I found this blades for a bargain price:
Thanks for this.

-- A great woodworker is one who can make a masterpiece in someone else’s shop using someone else’s tools.