Forrest Woodworker II 40T #1 Grind (flat)

Review by LeeInAZ posted 01-15-2012 03:53 AM 4550 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Forrest Woodworker II 40T #1 Grind (flat) No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I picked this up this week and got to use it on a project today. I needed to cut dado’s that were just under 1/4” (the smallest my dado stack will cut) in MDF. I made some test cuts first, and the bottoms were as dead flat as I had hoped.

Here is a photo of a double pass to create a 7/32” dado in both sides of a piece of scrap MDF. The kerf was exactly 1/8” for a single pass. I was very pleased with the quality of the cut. This will be my go-to blade for cutting splines as well. The cost was on par with other Forrest blades ($119) at my local Woodcraft. I own several Forrest blades, and this another quality product from them.

-- Lee - Phoenix, AZ

View LeeInAZ's profile

LeeInAZ

View ShaneA's profile

ShaneA

6323 posts in 1965 days

#1 posted 01-15-2012 04:07 AM

I have one of these in my “forrest collection” as well. I will say mine does not yield this flat of a cut. Although I have not used it since I sent it to forrest for resharping. The blade cuts well however, just not as flat as what yours is in the pic. Thanks for the review.

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

#2 posted 01-15-2012 04:18 PM

I’ve never seen a Forrest blade get less than 5 stars in a review. That tells you something about how great those blades are!

Thanks for posting!

-Jim; aka “Stumpy Nubs”
(The greatest woodworking show mankind has ever known is now online!)

-- Subscribe to "Stumpy Nubs Woodworking Journal"- One of the crafts' most unique publications: http://www.stumpynubs.com/

View john925's profile

john925

#3 posted 01-18-2012 05:35 AM

I too have the WW II. However I have the 48 tooth blade. My first cuts where not what I expected but I think my expectations were too high. Since then I wouldn’t trade it for any other! Great blade!

-- John, Brentwood, CA

#4 posted 01-19-2012 02:12 AM

Welcome to yet Another 5 STAR worthy tool review on Lumberjocks !!

”Just used it for the first time , it was able to cut MDF , and only cost $120.00” !

I brought a used blade to my sharpening service quite a few years ago and had them sharpen the teeth to a Flat Top Grind {FTG} . Still using it today with perfectly flat bottom grooves. Cost was less than $10.00 : )

View DrTebi's profile

DrTebi

#5 posted 01-28-2016 07:21 AM

Just wanted to add my 2 cents:
I have had this blade for a while, and am very pleased with it. It cuts just as nice and flat as in the images that Lee posted. I bought it mainly for joinery: box joints, rabbets, dadoes, tenons.

And for you SawStop people, Forrest will attempt to fix your blade if the brake fired. I ran into my aluminum part of my miter gauge (‘had taken too long of a brake from woodworking!), some teeth were damaged, and Forrest fixed it and sent it back promptly.

Forrest blades are not cheap, but from what I can see, you get what you pay for…