Eye-Fi Camera SD card with built in Wi-Fi.

Review by SPalm posted 828 days ago 2109 views 2 times favorited 33 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Eye-Fi Camera SD card with built in Wi-Fi. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is not really a woodworking tool, but Lumber Jocks need to post pictures, and this makes it a lot more fun. I recently bought a 4 GigaByte Eye-Fi SD memory card and plopped it into my camera. It helped a lot with my last posting on LJs. I had set up my little light tent and a tripod to hold the camera. As I took pictures, they instantly appeared on my PC. My wife and I were then able to see them, adjust the positions of the box and the lights, and click away until we liked what we saw. This has always been stressful and not what I want to spend my time on, so any help I could get here was welcomed. Both Karen and I really enjoyed it, and I ended up with better photos.

So, this is an SD card that you first configure on the PC and enter the password and such to allow it to join your in-house WiFi. The same kind of thing you would do with a laptop or smartphone. Then just put it in your camera. If fact it looks just like a standard SD card to the camera – nothing else to do. Now when you take a picture, it will keep it on the card as normal, and also send a copy to the PC. All done automatically. It is really neat. No more taking out the card and bringing it to the PC etc. Simple Pimple. Works with laptops and Macs too.

It has another pretty neat feature. If it is out of range of your home network, you can have it automatically send the pictures to your smart phone over a private WiFi session – there’s an App for that. You can then use your phone to email the pictures. So even if you are out in the woods or on vacation, you can post pictures to LJs, or Facebook, or whatever. And use your nice camera. Or you can just have it wait until the camera is back at home and as soon as you enter the house, it will transmit the photos to your PC.

It is about $40 for 4 GigaBytes at Amazon. I believe you need the X2 version if you want the smart phone private WiFi feature. You can learn more at http://www.eye.fi/

CharlieM1958

Thanks for the review, Steve. I think I see one of these in my very near future!

Bertha

That’s amazing. How on Earth do they pack so much stuff into a Wheat Thin sized device?

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

very cool card Steve. thanks for the headsup

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View ShopTinker's profile

ShopTinker

It looks like my camera is to old to work with it, darn it. They do have an extensive list of camera’s that it will work with. The web site say that if your camera won’t read an SD card larger then 2 gig then it’s old technology and it won’t work.

It must be time for a new camera. My B-Day is only five months away. I better start dropping hints now!

-- Dan - Valparaiso, Indiana, "A smart man changes his mind, a fool never does."

View DS's profile

DS

2074 posts in 918 days

I’ve wondered about this technology before. I worried that it was rough around the edges and gimmicky, as many new techs are and I’ve been waiting for it to mature.
I love that I can send my phone’s photos to my PC via bluetooth. This will give me an even easier PC link from my DSLR. Sweet!

Thanks for a great review!

-- "Hard work is not defined by the difficulty of the task as much as a person's desire to perform it.", DS251

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

At first, I thought you were kidding.

How COOL is that ???

-- -- Neil

Bertha

^Dan, the older devices can’t handle the SD HC cards. I think “HC” stands for High Capacity. I bought a little Nikon at Walmart for like $60 or something that handles them. I was in the same boat you are.

SPalm

You’re right Bertha. When they first invented the SD card, they never thought they would be over 2G in size. Almost all cameras built in the last several years will now support HiCap cards. Same thing happened with hard drives and Windows ‘98. Man, technology moves on.

Thanks for pointing out the compatibility issue.

Bertha

^Steve, I’m still waiting for the solid state drives to become more affordable. I’ve got a smallish one running my OS and it’s MUCH faster than an SATA. I guess 5 years from now, we’ll have multi-TB SSDs for the cost of a large Starbucks.

SPalm

Hey Bertha, we have been calling for the death of the spinning hard drive for a lot of years. No one thought it would last this long. I guess it is like gas cars vs electric cars. Soon as the price point and features cross over, it will be a switch we will all enjoy. But for now, what we got is what we got.

Oh, and this card will transmit videos too. I know because I have a nice video I made of a box just sitting there – created by mistake.

Bertha

^Lol, I actually looked into an electric car and the guys that talked me out of it were the very guys selling it!!! I think you’re right that we’ll see the death of anything spinning (besides fans) before too long. Not cheap, but the eSATA fobs are up to 128GB. Pretty darn impressive!

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

Thanks for the review! I’ve been meaning to grab one of these for a while now for ease of transferring pics.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

CharlieM1958

Al, I’ve a got a 60GB portable SSD, attached via USB 3.0, that I use for backing up and taking home critical data. I can’t wait until the technology replaces spinning discs entirely!

Bertha

^Charlie, I’ve got this little guy (OCZ 120)
It’s blazing fast.