Nice and Easy

Review by thiel posted 957 days ago 2904 views 6 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Nice and Easy No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve used Minwax Brushing Lacquer before under ideal conditions (temperature, light, clean surfaces) and gotten really crappy results.

Bought the Watco. Brushed it on a surface that still needed some work, and I did it at 40 degrees. Results were the best brushed finish I have ever produced. REALLY IMPRESSED with it. Quick coats, thin layers, nice flat surface resulting. No sags or drips and the finish flattened even though I was 15 degrees below recommended application temperature.

This is one I’ll keep on hand. Recommended!

View jumbojack's profile

jumbojack

One of the plusses of finishing, in the cool of the year, is, the product has a chance to lay out. On the downside lacquer can sometimes ‘blush’ during these cooler weather finish jobs. When it works out, life is cherries. When it does not, a little sanding cures the woe. I have been using Deft brushing lacquer with good results, both brushing and spraying it from a little spray rig called the Critter.

-- Made in America, with American made tools....Shopsmith

View Chipy's profile

Chipy

Nice review I like Watco products.

View vipond33's profile

vipond33

Thanks for the heads up, now to try and find it locally. What type of brush did you use?

-- gene@toronto.ontario.canada : dovetail free since '53, critiques always welcome.

112010 posts in 2203 days

Thanks for the review.Thanks for the info.

359 posts in 1918 days

I used a bristle brush (Purdy). Found the Watco at woodcraft.

-- Laziness minus Apathy equals Efficiency

I love Watco products as well, but never see the Lacquer, where can you get the stuff?

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

Got mine at Woodcraft.

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

It sure sounds good to me. I like Watco products and I’ll give it a try. Thanks

helluvawreck

View Chipy's profile

Chipy

I have had good success with Watco’s danish oil.I hand rub it in and can control the color by adding more or less satin to any given area to give the piece ballence.Now I have my Earlex HVLP spray station this will be my go to finish and then I intend to master another.I like to keep it simple because my strong suit is not finishing I am sorry to say.Watco helps because it is easy to apply .

View don1960's profile

don1960

I love Minwax stains, but I agree about their brushing lacquer. I could never get it to come out right.

Good to know about the Watco, have to try it next time..

-- -- Don from PA

View japanesewoodworker's profile

japanesewoodworker

Isn’t Lacquer measured in “thickness” or “Viscocity” by the # of pounds cut.

Pounds of Lacquer Flacks (olden days?) to gallons of Methanol.
Therefore a 1# cut would be 1# of flacks to 1 gallon of methanol.

Please tell me if I am barking up the wrong tree…...
This community is great for learning stuff like this…..

View Millo's profile

Millo

japanese woodworker: barking at the wrong tree; in English what you’re talking about is called shellac… the “lac” in “lacquer” comes from that historically, I think, but these lacquers I’m pretty sure have nothing to do with shellac. Anyone please correct me if I’m wrong.

View 1504ktk's profile

1504ktk

I know that you can put poly on with a foam roller! Will it work with this lacquer product or is the dry time to fast for the air bubbles to dissipate?

View Purrmaster's profile

Purrmaster

Have you tried the Deft brushing lacquer? If so, how would you compare the two brands?