Bosch fixed base router

Review by tchaser posted 918 days ago 3797 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Bosch fixed base router No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

What can I say this is a Bosch and it was worth every penny! I was doing some slab planing with a jig I built [and posted] when my Milwaukee bit the dust and self destructed. being in the middle of a project I couldn’t quit so on a holiday weekend finding a big one was out of the question. This router is rated for 15 amps with a variable speed 10000-25000 rpm’s I have used many routers and have a Dewalt, porter cable and former Milwaukee so I am use to good equip. This is out standing First of all it has an LED light down below for the work area and also functions as a indicator that there is power going to the tool. The switch is a large trigger in the handle with a lock button that is easy to use and located right where the thumb is with out reaching or being awkward. It comes with a clear base plate and both 1/4 and 1/2” collet both wrenches that are pre drilled for hanging and a set of screws that are a little longer to mount in a table plate as shown. moving up and down has a snap lock that is solid and easy to use as well as a micro fine adjustment screw with 1/64 in increments marked. It comes with a allen wrench to make adjustments from the bottom if mounted into a table. The var speed is marked with a scale in the book to what speed goes to what setting. The speed is solid with out sacrificing power or torque. The tool is smooth and doesn’t vibrate has soft start technology.

-- bad projects make good firewood

View tchaser's profile

tchaser

I was excited to check this router out at the national woodworking show. I am surprised how Bosch brought this machine to market. It is significantly heavier than a 2.25 hp router, so it is not really marketed as a handheld router. Yet the design of the router doesn’t allow the collet to extend high enough for comfortable bit changes above the router table. I had a 3hp Hitachi like that and it drove me nuts.
For me it didn’t offer any advantage over my Dewalt 618. That router already offers a trigger switch with the D handle base.
I do have a Bosch laminate trimmer that is a nice tool.
Glad it worked for you. Thanks for the nice review.

View felkadelic's profile

felkadelic

How does this compare to the (seemingly more popular) 1617?

View Chris 's profile

Chris

Yeah I been looking to replace my craftsman router with the newer bosch but I have read some poor reviews about quility. ( maybe just first productions) I know the 1617 has been proven to be a solid machine.

-- Chris ~ Central Michigan

View hardmorningwood's profile

hardmorningwood

I have this router along with the plunge base and it is outstanding. Plenty of power, smooth operation, soft start, only thing holding it back is the $$$ but hey you get what you pay for. I have been working with Azobe (Red African Ironwood) lately, which is twice as hard as maple and this router doesnt sweat it.