Black Shellac

Review by tenontim posted 833 days ago 4590 views 5 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Black Shellac Black Shellac No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just made the picture frame in photo and decided to try the Black Shellac from shellac.net. Here’s the info from the distributor:
The BLACK is all natural from the raw materials.
No additional pigment or coloring is added.
• On Light toned woods, the First coat yields a rich
medium Cordovan (Bluish-Red) Mahogany.
• A second Coat is Deeper & Dark Cordovan toned Black.
• The third coat yields the BLACK
with a shadowed hint of DEEP Blackish-Purple.

This is not a de-waxed shellac, so if you will want to top coat it, apply a final coat of dewaxed shellac, so the final finish will adhere to it well.

I didn’t want a high gloss on this frame, so I mixed this in 1/2 lb cut, which would let me build the finish slowly.
Even at this thinner mix, the shellac was very black. It almost came out the way it was described on the web listing, which is for a 2 lb cut. I applied 6 coats on this frame and it came out darker than 2 feet up a stove pipe. I don’t see any purple at all, just black. This frame was made from western red cedar, by the way.

I talked to Ron (from shellac.net) on the phone and he said a lot of customers use the black to tint other shellac, in order to get the right color when color matching an older finish. Ron is always happy to talk about the uses of shellac and is very informative and helpful, so give him a call or drop an email if you have any questions.

I’m looking forward to coming up with a larger project to try this on. I would like to get some of the shellac retarder and use it as a spray on finish.

I’ve used the other shellacs from this company and have been very pleased with the freshness, and the black is no exception. I recommend you give it a try, if you have a project that you need to be very black.

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

Hi Tim,

I had no idea there was a black shellac!

It looks good.

Lee

View Dan'um Style's profile

Dan'um Style

will have to try it myself someday

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain

View Tim Pursell's profile

Tim Pursell

I can see some uses for this, never heard of it before. Thanks for posting about it.

-- http://www.etsy.com/shop/tpursell?ref=si_shop

Who’dathunkit ? Black Shellac : )
Thanks for the info.
Any chance of getting a close-up of the finish on your frame project ?
Thanks.

-- When you arrive at my front door, please knock softly but firmly. I like soft , firm, knockers : )

tenontim

I didn’t know it was out there either. Joe Lyddon posted asking if anyone had ever tried it, about a year ago. I just around to trying it now. I think it’ll open some interesting experimenting.

Very good, Tim!

Sounds good!

I like the idea of using it to darken other shellacs… cool…

Thank you for letting me know about your review.

View Ole's profile

Ole

You know, in the wild black shellac occurs as thin black discs… You can grind ‘em up and make your own black shellac ; )

Joe Lyddon

Ole, all we have to is go out and find it… right?

Do you know where to look… Here in the USA??

Sounds like a nice way to get shellac!

View Ole's profile

Ole

It’s pretty easy if you have some old records to get rid of. I’m not kidding btw!

Ole:

How OLD is OLD records?

78 rpm

45 rpm

33.3 rpm

... and what do you do with them to get Black Shellac?

View derosa's profile

derosa

A quick search shows that 78s were made of about 1/3rd shellac up to the 50s.

-- --Rev. Russ in NY-- A posse ad esse

Interesting!

Now, how do you get the shellac out?
Break-up (grind-up) into pieces and soak in denatured Alcohol?

Waxed or Dewaxed? LOL

I wonder where I put all of those records?!

Do any of the other record types use shellac… probably not… Plastic was invented… LOL

View Eric M. Saperstein's profile

Eric M. Saperstein

www.shellac.net … great supplier we get raw flakes fro them all the time. Their garnet and button lac are also very nice. I like dewaxed garnet the best of all of them, use a thin cut of it as a base to build a richness in a lot of our finishes.

You can tung oil over it to waterproof it and protect it from alcohol spills too – especially dewaxed.

Everything we used from them has worked out very well. Everyone PLEASE keep supporting them – we need to maintain our supply chains!

Also think of it this way – if you keep shellac flakes in a dry dark place they keep almost indefinately. No more worrying about shelf life in cans just cut what you want about 2-3 days ahead of your finishing project and it will be ready to go.

-- Eric M. Saperstein, Master Craftsman www.artisansofthevalley.com

tenontim

Thanks for the comments, Eric. I’ve been getting several different flavors of shellac from them for years also. I try to keep most of the colors on hand, and mix about 2 oz at a time. I use it mainly for repairs on antique furniture, but I’m starting to use it more on my new builds. We do need to support these suppliers.

View Eric M. Saperstein's profile

Eric M. Saperstein

We usually mix at least a quart or gallon – just the volume w/ restorations and commissions always going on.

However it goes a long way -Two – three coats of thin cut shellac usually does it for us to get the color and and depth of the antique appeal in place.

I never got a chance to follow up – we were going to work with them on publishing some projects we’ve done over the years. One of these days i gotta follow up on that.

-- Eric M. Saperstein, Master Craftsman www.artisansofthevalley.com