Long Ranger III (Remote dust collector switch)

Review by Routerisstillmyname posted 959 days ago 3825 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Long Ranger III (Remote dust collector switch) Long Ranger III (Remote dust collector switch) Long Ranger III (Remote dust collector switch) Click the pictures to enlarge them

Well, it came down to a matter of making my lazy A** take the unbearable three steps to reach my HF 2 HP shop vac and then the physiologically excruciating act of reaching down to flip the well concealed switch or parting with $61.00 that would give me gloating rights.

So, here I am with the PSI, Long Ranger LR110-3 110-Volt 20Amp switch.
After doing a considerable online research and reading all the reviews about what works with HF 2 HP/20Amp, I decided that spending the extra $11 on this was a safest way to go.

Up until now I didn’t have dedicated 20 AMP outlets in the shop so I never could use the vac when I turned on the tools but two weeks a go I had two dedicated 20 AMP lines installed and it’s been a pleasure using the shop vac and hence (having paid my dues eating dust for the last few decades) all of a sudden this became a must have.

The unit looks well made and solid. Has 5-foot power cord. It comes with mounting hardware and one remote, which is a good size and comfortable to handle. And it uses the more common 9-volt battery (included). But it lacks a key chain and instead it has a belt clip with hole which some might prefer. Additional remotes are about $20.
Out of the box, the mounting bracket didn’t fit. The holes are not far enough apart. Not too big of a deal but it does mean either calling and waiting for a replacement bracket or spending an extra 20 minutes or more at the drill press. Just an annoyance.
I tested the range and had no problem starting the unit from far away about 50 feet as advertised. Like anyone has a shop that big. I started and stopped the shop vac several times and had no problems. Time will tell.

I can’t give this a 5 star at this time due to unknown durability factor. If it lasts a few years under occasional and light use then yes. If after only few uses it craps out then….. back to manual labor. At this point the functionality and the solid built and looks gets my 4 stars despite being ticked about bracket.

As you know there are several other 110 volt switch options out there that may save you few $$ if on sale! But they are all rated for 15 Amps or less and even though few have stated that they have successfully used them with the HF, as I said the extra few dollars is well worth the peace of mind if you have a 2 HP/20 Amp shop vac and you will use your dust spewing tools a lot more frequent.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

View Third Day Woodworking's profile

Third Day Woodworking

I upgraded my dust collection system this summer and went with the rockler remote system. It has a key chain remote about the same size as the one for my truck. It has been the become one of my favorite tools. I moved my dust collector into a dedicated room along with the air compressor and just click the button and open a blast gate. After working with a system like this I don’t see how I ever worked without it.

View DIYaholic's profile

DIYaholic

Hi Ho Silver Away....

Mine just arrived today!!! Yea!

Now I just have to finish the Basement Dungeon to Woodworkers Liar setup of my shop! You can follow my progress, or lack there of on MY Blog.

I hope this eliminates your unbearable & physiologically excruciating burden to save your lungs!!!

-- Randy-- I may not be good...but I am slow! If good things come to those who wait.... Why is procratination a bad thing?

View PCM's profile

PCM

I’ve enjoyed using the PSI Longer Ranger for about 8 months. Its simple, convenient and effective which helps me use my HF 2HP dust collector more often. (You’re not the only lazy A** out there). A highly recommended device.

View Sawkerf's profile

Sawkerf

I got the Long Ranger 220v remote last summer to replace the Shop Fox unit. One of the Shop Fox transmitters had failed and they don’t sell just the transmitters. Their systems are hard coded at the factory and can’t be re-coded.

The Long Ranger cost a bit more, but it seems to be a sturdier unit and it’s easy to re-code additional transmitters. I keep three transmitters at convenient locations so I’m never more than a couple of steps away from one of them. Carrying a transmitter would be a non-starter for me since – within a few days – it would be somewheere in the house or truck. – lol

-- Adversity doesn't build character...................it reveals it.

View lurker's profile

lurker

I’ve used this remote switch with my HF DC for over two years now without a problem.

View Viking's profile

Viking

I just got my Long Ranger about a month ago and am very pleased with it. I installed my HF DC on a flatbed cart along with a 30 gallon pre-separator to make both more mobile. In its normal parking position the power switch is on back making it even more awkward to reach it. The LR solved this well. I removed the belt clip and replaced with a small magnet and just stick the remote on the side of the DC when not using it. (my cell phone and tape measure didn’t welcome an outsider on my belt) ;-)

Thanks for a great review. I had same issue with the bracket as well.

Good luck!

-- Rick Gustafson - Lost Creek Ranch - Colorado County, Texas

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

Mine has been working great for over a year. I use it primarily for HF dust collector… but lately I’ve used it a lot for shopvac… very handy, convenient. Well worth the $’s.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

View Woodn88s's profile

Woodn88s

I’ve had the 220 model for over 5 yrs with no problems. just today I’ve had a problem with the handheld transmitter, I changed the battery but it still just turns on when it feels like it. I will buy a new hand held unit, you can easily change the codes so thats not a problem.

-- I want to know Gods thoughts....rest are details "A. Einstein"