Powermatic 209HH

Review by ToddTurner posted 01-02-2012 04:45 PM 7273 views 1 time favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Powermatic 209HH Powermatic 209HH No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

There is nothing negative to say about this machine in the way of performance. I am lucky (see my posts about the best thing i have-wife) to have a wife who supports my hobby for the sake of my sanity!
The machine is absolutely perfect and the helical head reduces the noise to about 1/3 of the Ridgid lunchbox I had-the R4330 3 blade, which was great as a starter. You dont, but should, even need hearing protection when running it. I can even still hear the radio when its planing.
Most importantly is peformance. How does glass-like finish sound? ‘Nuff said! Im sure there is a reason there are no swivel casters on it, but i dont know that reason. But the casters are slick and slide sideways pretty easily.
As for delivery of the machine-Powermatic doesnt discount very much but i did catch the last day of the sale on the 30th of December. The guys at Woodcraft helped me graciously load it and gave me a free dust collector adapter and a discount on lumber. Not all of them do it and you may not get the same, I got lucky. It weighs about 900lbs and it took my bucket loader on my New Holland 55hp diesel (slowed it down a bit!) to get it off the truck. But it went well and i did it by myself.

View ToddTurner's profile

ToddTurner

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

#1 posted 01-02-2012 04:56 PM

It’s a beast. I’ve had it on my dream list for years. It’s an expensive 900 pounds but worth every penny, I suspect. Congratulations!

#2 posted 01-03-2012 01:01 PM

That is a real beauty! Congrats on having a great wife as well! There are a bunch of us on here that have great wifes that support our hobby! Thats a good thing!

Congrats on the monster!

#3 posted 01-03-2012 02:28 PM

I am one of the lucky one also , my wife not only supports my hobby but very often buy me tools.
It just cannot get any better.
As for the planer, I am just jealous.
How tall a board can you plane in it? 20”
See I do not understand the advantage to have a planer x” wide if you cannot put the board on edge to plane it.
Have fun with it.

View Chipy's profile

Chipy

374 posts in 2053 days

#4 posted 01-03-2012 11:04 PM

Nice!!!!!! I will fill my shop with Powermatic if I win the lottery! My wife is also supportive, but only Grizzly supportive.

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

#5 posted 01-03-2012 11:15 PM

Todd: Congratulations on a great purchase.

Chipy: “but only Grizzly supportive”. I love that line

-- “Big man, pig man, ha ha, charade you are.” ― R. Waters

View Mike's profile

Mike

#6 posted 01-04-2012 12:59 AM

I loved using this one a while ago. Wish I still had access to it. Ah well. Great buy there!

-- look Ma! I still got all eleven of my fingers! - http://www.lepelstatcrafts.etsy.com - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCppWfrYGXCr5lm9uW-Fpqqw

View KMP Wood Designs's profile

KMP Wood Designs

#7 posted 01-04-2012 01:23 AM

Great choice Todd. If it weren’t for our supportive wives, we’d all be looking for place to live!

I got the 15” with the helical head and love every time I have to use it. Go gold!

-- Jim, Virginia, http://www.kmpwooddesigns.com

#8 posted 01-04-2012 03:40 AM

I am just jealous, to say the least. But I am happy with what I have

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

#9 posted 01-04-2012 04:47 AM

View Zach117's profile

Zach117

#10 posted 01-05-2012 07:28 PM

You son of a… (jealous)

View DonJ's profile

DonJ

#11 posted 01-05-2012 09:53 PM

I’m looking at the same one. My wife said that if I would let her get a little puppy, I could get the planer. I’ve decided to let her get the little puppy; go figure!!

-- Don, San Antonio, TX

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#12 posted 01-06-2012 08:18 PM

This is to supports a hobby? Even Norm A. doesn’t have one of these ;-)

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View Hanman's profile

Hanman

#13 posted 01-07-2012 07:53 PM

This thing is awesome. If I ever win the lottery this is one of the first toys I would buy. Congrats, you just made a lot of guys here jealous!

-- It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit. - Harry S. Truman

View Severiano's profile

Severiano

#14 posted 01-15-2012 05:45 AM

Hi Todd. I own these monster too!. All I have to say is that I didn’t have to wait to get the lottery to buy it…I think that when I bought it I got the lottery instead!. Quiet, accurate, powerful, and impressive finishing jobs.

Congrats!!,

PS: Have you tried the 8”Powermatic parallelogram helical cutter head jointer!?.

-- Woodworking is like science, it had been and it will be present for us to figure it out.

View BerBer5985's profile

BerBer5985

#15 posted 02-10-2012 10:28 PM

Damn, my wife complains if I spend time in the shop. I’m either in there too long, too often, too early, too late. Can’t win! She “tolerates” my hobby more than supports, but at least she stays married to me….so far ;) HAHA!

-- Greg, Owner, Quality Carpet One, www.qualitycarpetonecrofton.com