Simplicity at Its Best

Review by itsme_timd posted 2337 days ago 3260 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Simplicity at Its Best Simplicity at Its Best Simplicity at Its Best Click the pictures to enlarge them

I saw this gadget at Sawdust2’s and had to have one. I’d been looking for ‘something’ to make large arcs with – compass, oil drum, truck rim – and when I saw this I figured it was the best choice. You can buy it online at Rockler, or Woodcraft – both sell for $19.99.

The M.Power Tri.Scribe

These are great little items, very versatile. They attach to any flat ruler, square, etc. and can be used to make arcs/circles, straight lines, 2 parallel lines or scribe marks. It’s quick to move them from a 12” rule to a 36”, one of the downfalls I saw in the larger compasses was just that – they are large and not well suited to smaller jobs.

To use them, simply attach one piece and align the point or pencil to your zero mark. The other half is attached (or not) based on your application, I made a few simple marks with this one on a couple tools to show what it can do.

COMPASS
Simple and straight forward – set your center point, measure your radius and scribe your arc or circle. I needed to plug a hole in my workbench and used this to swing out a 3 1/2” circle to do just that.

STRAIGHT LINE – DRAWN OR SCRIBED
Simple again just make your mark on your workpiece, attach one half of the Tri Scribe and adjust your pencil point, the same premise applies (of course) if you want to scribe a line – just use the scribe point as opposed to the pencil.

PARALLEL LINES – DRAWN OR SCRIBED
Just like the straight line but with 2 pencils or scribes, great for marking out mortises or other parallelish things on your workpiece.

CONS
The points can be a little tricky to adjust sometimes. The set screw will either be too tight on the scribe point or fall out. That may actually work itself out a bit with use. Not a big con but figured I’d toss it in here.

WRAP-UP
This is a great addition to any woodworker’s arsenal. It’s fairly cheap and very versatile, a great purchase in my opinion.

”My name is Tim D. and I approved this message.”

-- Tim D. - Woodstock, GA

View itsme_timd's profile

itsme_timd

GaryK

Hey, that’s pretty cool! I like the option of using a pencil of scribe!

I think I’ll have to get one.

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

That is neat. It’s always nice to find a useful tool at a good price. Good review – Thanks.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

Great review and a great tool.

View sIKE's profile

sIKE

I been on a marking and measuring device buying binge and I feel the hunger building yet again!

-- //FC - Round Rock, TX - "Experience is what you get just after you need it"

GaryK

Rockler does have it online:

If you enter in promotion code V8752 you get free shipping too.

Can’t beat that. Just ordered mine.

View itsme_timd's profile

itsme_timd

Thanks Gary – I couldn’t find it there when I searched last night. I’ve updated the review.

-- Tim D. - Woodstock, GA

GaryK

Actually I didn’t find it there either, but Google did.

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

wow thats really cool. i think i just may have to look into that.

GaryK

BTW that free shipping thing is good until March 24th 2008.

View runngt's profile

runngt

Now that is a tool that I can use and it won’t break the bank, thanks for the review!

-- It seem's I just make scrap wood and saw dust most of the time !

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19323 posts in 2454 days

Neat tool Tim, thanks for the review.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python