RT1000XL Router Table - Excellent Product

Review by David Grimes posted 01-02-2012 10:29 AM 8098 views 6 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
RT1000XL Router Table - Excellent Product RT1000XL Router Table - Excellent Product RT1000XL Router Table - Excellent Product Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve had this table for almost a year, so for those of you yearning for a review where the tags aren’t still hanging, this is one of them. As you can see from my photos, I have added an MCLS Daisy Pin Router to it. The table does not come with the pin router.

The only modifications I have made are adding 7” to the base to suit my height preference. I knew I was going to do this when ordered, so I told the builder to attach the wheels knowing that I would transfer them down when assembling the new base. It worked out perfectly. I also have an A-type CFL light fixture that I will wire up inside the router bay when it makes the front burner someday.

I have the Triton 2 1/4 HP router in this table (it has top adjustable crank and bit changes), so it has been a wonderful pairing in my opinion.

Dust collection is superb, pulling from both underneath and from the middle of the fence with just the one connection. That was a major reason why I went with this unit since I detest a multitude of DC hoses in my shop (or a DC that I can see or hear). As you can see, the Rockler Dust Right 4” hose just plugs into the side as expected.

The quality of materials, fit, finish, and features are all impressive to me. I could not have built this unit as it sits for less than the cost I paid. Joe has been building this model for quite some time and appears to have all of the bugs worked out.

I opted for the aluminum plate, so it is extremely durable in that regard. The builder /owner (Joe) agreed to prepare the plate for my Triton router mounting and the crank hole in exactly the right position (at no extra charge).

Lumberjock Bubinga turned me on to this table that is made in Nova Scotia. I never would have found it, so thanks to Bubinga.

The RT1000XL stands 35” from floor to top of the table surface. Add 4” with the fence, which is included. The table top is 32” wide x 24” deep , hefty 1.1/2” thick for stability and flatness. This unit weighs in over 125 lbs. Lower Cabinet, table and fence are trimmed in solid Black American Walnut and White Maple drawer fronts.

The cabinet is constructed using 18 mm Baltic birch plywood. This plywood is 13 layers of solid veneers ply’s The shelves and uprights are made of 3/4” industrial grade melamine. Joints are dado, rabbet, glued and brad nailed very well builtThe RT1000XL model that comes with a Miter-T-Track for those miter gauges that have a t-slot bar. Standard miter gauges will also work with this track. There are two electrical outlets in the base cabinet that are controlled by a Safety Paddle Switch It has a removable yellow lock to prevent unwanted start ups. Also a 8 foot power cord wired for 110-120 volts.

The standard insert plate is made out of 3/8 Lexan. Very strong and has 8 leveling set screws. One insert is included with each router table. There are 3 sizes available. (Blank), (2”) and (3.5”) opening. If not specified at point of sale a 2” will be included with each order. Insert size is 9 1/4” x 11 3/4” x 3/8”. The Same size as most popular router lifts.(router not included)

The fence includes an alum. t-track for attaching feather boards, stops, guards and other fences and jigs. Each sliding fence on this split fence system can be adjusted over 1/2” for glue joint work. More importantly, it will go back to a straight edge in seconds.

The RT1000XL has a 3.5” dust port on the left side for attaching your vacuum system (easily adapted to 4”). It has a 2.5” port cut in the top under the fence, incase you want to use a smaller hose (shop vac). There are 3 vented holes in the acrylic door, allowing air flow to circulate witch keeps the router compartment free of dust. The(hinged)door covering the router compartment has a magnetic catch to hold the door closed .

The most amazing thing of all was the way this unit was packaged for shipping. When I got the heavy, massive box I saw one corner split and some particle board with a crack in it. Upon unpacking I saw that Joe had packed the corners with sacrificial 3/4” material so that it could survive shipping. It did. Mine was perfect. The sacrificial material was… uh, sacrificed. ;=)

I paid just under $460 USD shipped. The RT1000XL is $329 USD before shipping and any accessories.

I highly recommend this product and dealing with Joe at RT1000.com

Electronic mail: joe@rt1000.com

View jim C's profile

jim C

#1 posted 01-02-2012 04:51 PM

Great review David Good choice on the Triton.
I never knew the Daisy existed. Gotta check on that.

Get a bulb in that socket before you start a fire. :-)

#2 posted 01-02-2012 07:23 PM

@jim c, that’s just the keyless fixture sitting there… not wired yet. lol Thanks for the potential heads up. Ain’t NOTHING wrong with your eyesight !

View Bob Kollman's profile

Bob Kollman

1797 posts in 1915 days

#3 posted 01-04-2012 10:04 AM

Good deal, I think I seen them on E-Bay. Hard to believe the guy is making any money.

-- Bob Kenosha Wi.

#4 posted 01-05-2012 04:46 AM

Bob, He does list on Ebay, but so does everything else (nearly). Yellow page and local ads in Nova Scotia will probably not cover his remote marketing needs. ;=)

As to how he could make a wage with such great pricing, I’m sure a combination of his proven standardized construction along with doing the work himself goes a long way. He probably has access to his native hardwoods at a reasonable price, then finally his price is still reasonable with long distance shipping added.

I was a bit skeptical, but now I certainly can personally vouch for the very high quality and righteous design of the product.

View DIYaholic's profile

DIYaholic

#5 posted 01-05-2012 06:19 AM

That sure is one nice table!

I like the idea of a light inside the cabinet. However, I would consider a fixture/light with a smaller profile. Perhaps an LED puck light or two mounted on the side of the cabinet. A smaller profile is less likely to get broken. Having it/them mounted on the side reduces the chance of dust collecting on them & frees up the floor/shelf for storage. Just my $0.02!!

-- Randy-- I may not be good...but I am slow! If good things come to those who wait.... Why is procrastination a bad thing?

#6 posted 01-05-2012 08:08 AM

The light is not mounted, screwed or wired… nor is there a bulb in it. At this point it is only a bakelite fixture awaiting some love (and a bulb). When it does get installed, it will have a 60Watt equivalent type A CFL bulb that will draw 14 watts and will not get hot. A type means that it looks like a regular incandescent… in other words the CFL is not a pug-tailed rascal. I have the remains of a skid of these and they are the shiznit.

As for placement, please notice that the “door” is a left-handed out-swing that happens to have the duplex receptacle directly behind the hinge side. That side wall (centered and about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom) is where the light will be placed. It’s cord will be of length to exactly reach the plug-in, where the cord’s plug will be a 90 degree so the wire will drape correctly. No heat, no fire, no dust, and will illuminate “on” when the router is turned on… balanced universe.

Now, the balance of the universe is not at all what you might think. “Stairway to Heaven” was recorded with a Telecaster and “Freebird” with a Fender Strat. Please adjust your view. ;=)

Yeah, it’s a great router table.

View jimmyhopps's profile

jimmyhopps

#7 posted 07-27-2012 07:18 PM

has the Lexan held up?

#8 posted 07-27-2012 08:58 PM

Everything has held up wonderfully, including the Lexan door. The holes he has in it makes for just the right amount of suction through the center. I use this daily and it is still like new.

View Spike_dawg's profile

Spike_dawg

#9 posted 09-13-2012 02:39 AM

Just bought one but it hasn’t arrived as yet. Hope it works out. I like the idea of the storage and the table surface area. On wheels, will help me move it around the “shop”. I’d like to build a horizontal table as a project but I’ll have to get more experienced at this routing business first.

#10 posted 09-13-2012 03:19 AM

You will like it. If not, let me know. I could use a second one. ;)

View AlBCuttnWud's profile (online now)

AlBCuttnWud

#11 posted 07-30-2013 06:29 AM

Just bought one and will ship out tomorrow…...looking forward to the first project I get to use it for.

-- -Al, Patuxent River, MD

#12 posted 07-30-2013 07:38 AM

It has been nearly a year and i would not change one bit of my recommendation. This is a nice table at any price.
I hope you enjoy yours as well.

View Fired_Yo_Momma's profile

Fired_Yo_Momma

#13 posted 07-29-2014 07:53 PM

How long after you placed the order did it the table arrive to your door step. I have been looking at router tables but I can’t justify the cost that some of these other company’s charge for just a base with no shelving. This table is really nice. I would look to put on my own table on, and just buy the cabinet. Kind of liking the Kreg or woodpickers. How do you like the table and fence?

View jimmyhopps's profile

jimmyhopps

#14 posted 08-10-2014 01:10 PM

I took this design and made it myself as a table saw extension. Love it.