Bowl Making Machine

Review by doug1980 posted 01-01-2012 08:56 PM 4652 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Bowl Making Machine No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this lathe used 2 years ago from my neighbor who also turned bowls with it. It’s powerful and easy to use. It will turn up to 38” spindles and turn 15” bowls inboard and up to 20” bowls outboard. I have made about 100 bowls with it and the only issue was the cooling fan belt slipped off once, easy fix. The headstock and tailstock are aligned perfectly and it accepts all the popular accessories like other brands. It may not be a Jet or Nova, but it is built tough and has served me well.

View doug1980's profile

doug1980

View Chris 's profile

Chris

#1 posted 01-01-2012 09:55 PM

Looks like a decent lathe … I don’t think they made this model any more . Can’t find it.

-- Chris ~ Central Michigan

View redryder's profile

redryder

#2 posted 01-02-2012 09:50 AM

First positive thing I have heard anyone say about Craftsman in a long time. Glad you like it. I have had many Craftsman tools over the years that have served me well. That not making it anymore thing and not making parts for some items has pissed me off more than once as I have hauled a pressure washer and rototiller to the dump that couldn’t be fixed…................

-- mike...............

#3 posted 01-02-2012 07:07 PM

Glad to hear that you have a Craftsman that is of good quality nowadays. Rare item : )

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

#4 posted 12-12-2013 10:25 PM

Hi Doug. I have 2 of those lathes and have gotten to know them very well. The first one stopped and blew the breaker several times and I found the armature was .005 out of center with .008 total clearance in the filed. I turned the armature true after I bought this second lathe and Now I have 2 of them running.
That fan belt is on the front end of the lathe and maybe the pulley came loose for it to dislodge.

I know a guy near Kalamazoo who has 3 heads for that lathe. 2 were replaced under warranty for just minor things. I wish I had know about him when mine went down. Seems they are built in China and not the same quality that Craftsman is know for any more.

I bought another one that was suppose was brand new in 2010 and never used. I bought it because I made this real nice lathe station for mine and the lathe would bolt right back in place. This one worked great for 5 days and the developed this whine/spinning noise inside like the cooling fan was loose on the shaft. That is the area of the noise. The guy I bought it from is trying to get Sears to replace the head but they keep blowing him off and he is a die hard Craftsman tool guy- has all kinds of them. I’m using it like that and just disregard the noise. It runs fine just annoying! Even with the problems. I would not trade it for Jet! I work on Jets at the high school and feel they are poorly designed. I have to pull the Reeves drive on one this week.

I saw the same model Craftsman 15” lathe out east for sale with the electronic speed control instead of the Reeves drive and I would have bought it, but would have had to drive to Mass. to pick it up. I’m in Mich.

..............Jim