Ultimate Grad Present

Review by zindel posted 01-01-2012 03:42 AM 6350 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ultimate Grad Present No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Okay so my parents are quite wonderful let me just say that. I just graduated college with a degree in MIS and they bought me this planer as a graduation present!

Anyways onto the review. So as a back story to backup my review i have a few friends who have the Dewalt 735 and another who has an older Delta couldn’t tell you the model. I have seen the results of these planers and they were all okay, the Delta gave a lot of snip but that is no surprise as it is older. The dewalt does pretty good it would produce snip on long boards even if they live them and some on shorter boards. So i just assumed that snip is part of it.

I have used the planer now for a few weeks (yes short time for a review) but i must say that i have seen zero snip. I have planed soft woods like ceder and hard woods such as walnut and both produce a nearly sanded finish on the boards. I have read many different reviews about this planer and others and i have yet to read anything bad except for the complaint that the handle crank isn’t a standard depth adjustment. If i had one complaint is that i wish it would have come with a dust hood. The thing shoots chips everywhere without one and i can’t imagine this thing would cost more than a buck to make yet its $20!? come on Makita! But overall i wouldn’t pick anything else over this baby! it is for sure well worth the money! I would recommend this to anyone!

-- If you can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

View zindel's profile

zindel

#1 posted 01-01-2012 04:38 AM

Congrats

-- Norman

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

#2 posted 01-01-2012 04:39 AM

Congrats! I have that one in my sights too if I can catch a sale on it. :)

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View lcwood's profile

lcwood

#3 posted 01-01-2012 01:13 PM

I also have one and … works

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

#4 posted 01-01-2012 08:41 PM

I paid about $20 for a dust shute on my Porter Cable planer….I felt it was a bargain. LOL.

View pintodeluxe's profile (online now)

#5 posted 01-01-2012 09:34 PM

I have heard this is a good machine as well. Some units have apparently lasted many years and performed admirably.
I happen to own the Dewalt 735. It does not snipe if you use the extension tables and outfeed support.
My only complaint about all of the portable planers is that they are a bit noisy.
Nice review.

View Retrowood's profile

Retrowood

#6 posted 01-03-2012 12:16 AM

I’ve owned (3) different planers including the one tested. This is a very quite machine for it’s purpose. I’ve been very happy with it overall and the 60lb weight is great if you have to move it a bit, which I do. I had no snipe initially although need to adjust things soon as I’m getting just a bit presently. The dust shroud is a pricey must, should be standard on the planer IMO.

Nice review,
Retrowood

-- Retrowood

View RussellAP's profile

RussellAP

#7 posted 02-21-2012 10:12 PM

The reviews on Amazon seem favorable, which is rare in the planer world.

-- A positive attitude will take you much further than positive thinking ever will.

View RogerInColorado's profile

RogerInColorado

#8 posted 03-27-2013 04:13 AM

I’ve had mine about 5 years and still love it. Took an hour or so of fiddling to get the snipe out, but it tuned out and so far has stayed out. The secret is carefully tuned extension tables.