Best Jigsaw I've used

Review by Eric_S posted 963 days ago 9256 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Best Jigsaw I've used No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve used 4 different jigsaws over the last few years, most recently though a $30 black and decker one that had lots of vibration and couldn’t cut a straight line for the life of it. I got tired of that and decided with my L-shaped closet shelfing I would use a jigsaw to cut it, so I’d need a quality one. I purchased this from Home depot for $130. It includes one blade that looks like 8 tpi or so, a case, and an allen wrench for adjusting the angle. I picked up some 10 tpi ones though which work well for the plywood.

The saw does have a dust port but in order to attach a vacuum you need to buy a separate dust kit which I think is $30 or so. However, it does have a built in blower you can turn on when a vacuum isn’t connected to blow dust out of the way to see the line and works very well, although it does end up blowing dust all over the place instead of it just falling around the saw.

It also comes with an anti-splinter piece that I’ve been using on plywood and it worked very well. Its basically a zero-clearance insert for a jigsaw. It takes t-shank type blades, and has an interesting and easy to use blade locking mechanism that I haven’t seen on other brands. Seems very reliable for locking the blade.

The saw has very little vibration and is a breeze to use. It has 6 variable speeds setting for the maximum speed and a variable trigger to adjust that. It also has 4 settings for orbital action for woods, metals, plastics, etc and an On lock for long cutting periods which came in very handy when doing my shelves.

I was impressed how well it cut a straight line without an edge guide, my previous jigsaws couldn’t even do that :( Even when plunge cutting it was straight.

All in all, very impressed with this one and I hope it lasts for a long time.

-- - Eric Indianapolis, IN

View Eric_S's profile

Eric_S

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View mondak's profile

mondak

I don’t own the bosch jig saw, but have heard that it is a top rated tool.

View Eric_S's profile

Eric_S

The only negative is the angle adjuster. It has set angle locks that can’t be adjusted but since Im mainly using it for 90 degree cuts its not a big deal to me.

-- - Eric Indianapolis, IN

View jim C's profile

jim C

I bought the palm version rather than the handle one and I would give it 5 stars also.
When you set it with wide open orbiting, it cross cuts thru a 2×6 of pine in seconds. When you need a precision cut, with no orbiting, it’s very controllable and a nice smooth cut.

Thanks

View kizerpea's profile

kizerpea

I have the bosch 584vs barrel grip..had it for 10 ys worth the little extra u pay.. most of my hand tools are bosch. i like to buy tools one time.

-- IF YOUR NOT MAKING DUST...YOU ARE COLLECTING IT! SOUTH CAROLINA.

View lew's profile

lew

Thanks for the review, Eric.

Looks like the design makes it very comfortable to use.

Lew

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View RogerBean's profile

RogerBean

I’ve had one of these for a year or so, and while it’s not a tool that I use a lot, I’ve been very satisfied with it. Smooth operation and the Bosch blades cut very well. In fact, I’ve become quite a fan of Bosch routers, drills, screwdrivers, etc. Quiet, smooth, precise, and reliable. Thanks for the review.

View jim C's profile

jim C

I have to agree on Bosch tools.
I’ve never encountered a bad product. Jigsaw blades are second to none.

View Chipy's profile

Chipy

Bosch is the king of Jig saws but the Dewalt is a close second.Nice review!

View isptpr's profile

isptpr

Agree 100% Eric. Bosch makes a great jig saw.