SawStop Contractor Saw

Review by NewEnglandsWoodWorks posted 925 days ago 7478 views 3 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
SawStop Contractor Saw SawStop Contractor Saw SawStop Contractor Saw Click the pictures to enlarge them

In woodworking almost always, the number one most used tool in the shop is a table saw (at least in my shop it is now). Well, it is because it is just plain hard to get by in woodworking without a table saw. I was without a table saw since the beginning of my woodworking career (two years ago). Just the inconvenience of having to buy lumber to width.

Now as of 12/27/11 I am a proud owner of a SawStop contractor saw with cast iron wings and a 36” pro fence. Let me just say right now this saw is amazing! Even without the safety system with finger sensing technology, the saw still rocks.

I purchased my saw at a local woodcraft. I went down with my dad and a small trailer to pick it up.

Packaging of this saw was fantastic, no damage at all to the saw.

Assembly was very, very easy. It took
almost 5 hours to do, but that was just
because there was just a lot to do. The
Instructions were great. I really liked
the hardware packets! It really made it
easy!

Most manufacturers say that their saw was already tuned at the factory, which they are not. The SawStop manual doesn’t even saw anything like that and everything was perfectly tuned I was stunned!

I love this saw! It cuts through 8/4 hard maple as if it was butter. I would recommend this saw to anyone! Love the Mobile Base Too!

View Grandpa's profile

Grandpa

Congratulations!!

View terry603's profile

terry603

nice. is the side table included or extra?

-- may not always be right,but,never in doubt.

Extra.

View PCTNWV's profile

PCTNWV

Congrats!! I have had mine for a couple of years and LOVE it!

-- Troy, Virginia

View CL810's profile

CL810

Congratulations! BTW, great website. Which do you enjoy more: video making, website design or woodworking? Looks like you do all 3 very well.

-- "It's amazing how much can go wrong when you think you know what you're doing."

NewEnglandsWoodWorks

WoodWorking is easily the top :)!

View agallant's profile

agallant

I’m not trying to be mean but the price for the 3hp PCS is not that much more. I wish I bit the bullet and got the 3hp PCS to start.

NewEnglandsWoodWorks

Too high for me and the contractor saw was fine for me.

View Paul Lajoie's profile

Paul Lajoie

Congrats on the new saw, Brett. I have the PCS and am very happy with it. Also loved your web site.Hope to see more of your work.

A fellow New Englander Paul (W. Mass.)

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

677 posts in 2094 days

That’s just the beginning. next you will need 2 HP shop vac and then a remote switch and on and on.. congratulations on the saw.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

NewEnglandsWoodWorks

Ya the list will go on and on!

View Cascokid's profile

Cascokid

I’m a very happy 10-fingered owner of a SawStop. Use the override sparingly, but do use it when your rip stock has to be fed in through the shop door on a rainy day.

I know the SawStop guys and can tell you customer service is friendly and knowledgable. The CS guys sit in an office 10’ from the CEO, who hears all the stories, good and bad. The company has excellent management and a bright future.

View tblank's profile

tblank

This is a great idea however the inventor is lobbying congress to pass a law to fit every table saw made or sold in the U.S.A. to be equipped with one. Obviously, finance is a factor with this tool. I don’t see someone not opting for one uless he can’t afford one. This law if passed will increase the cost of all saws dramatically pushing some out of the arena. Personally, I’d rather leave it up tp individual choice. This can be verified through the “Tools of the Trade” publication which goes further to state the inventor is lawyer and congressional lobbyist by income. I think it is a good idea however I don’t want to be railroaded into having one.

View sillac's profile

sillac

Brett, how is the dust collection on this saw?

I do have an idea on how to get one for free! Take a look at my blog.

-- Steve in Oregon,

NewEnglandsWoodWorks

The dust collection is pretty good on the saw. It has a dust shroud under the table gathering the dust to the port. You can hook a 4 in. pipe from your dust collector or you can get the dust control panel and you can hook a shop van on. Im sure it would be even better if you had the overarm dust collector blade guard on it.

Hope this helps!